Does Anyone Wear a Tux Anymore?

Swabia

On our Caribbean cruises, there were few tuxes. That being said though, I think tuxes look great and think you should wear what you want. You'll see many dark suits and fancy dresses/gowns for the ladies so you won't be the only guy "dressed up".

My DH enjoys wearing his Tux. He enjoys getting dressed up. His Tux is modern and very stylish. I have stopped wearing long gowns and now prefer cocktail dresses- We also dress up regardless of the dining venue we are in. Call is Chic night, formal night- it is part of our cruise experience.!

I splashed out on three new slightly sparkly long sleeved shirts for my husband to fit in with the new evening chic concept. I wore the least fancy of my evening dresses. He looked great but was a bit surprised to see all of the other chaps on our table for 8 in tuxedos. Many passengers are still choosing to make a big effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH wears his tux and I wear gowns for 'elegant' nights. I wear dresses and DH wears slacks and a short sleeve dress shirt every other night.

That is part of the charm of cruising for us: Date nights all week!

Cruising with DD (22) next month and she loves the opportunity to dress for dinner too!

ba8db1472cef8e9d4255f23bae966526.jpg4302bcd602de45f711dce3f2d9adab0e.jpg884e75dc472389a56642b165a40f22f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You look great! The memories will be greatly appreciated in years to come by your family!

But, will anyone be in a dinner jacket, black tie, and kilt? Except for my cruise last March on the Majesty, any time I've sailed on Royal Caribbean, there has been at least one man, and often two or three, wearing Scottish formal attire on formal night.

The new Millennium generations do not like tux's or to dress up. Yes! We still enjoy dressing up on formal nights on the Celebrity Cruises Line.

Don't blame the millennials! Plenty of other generations who have adopted less formal dress in every part of society. This happened over the last 100 years when Americans stopped being as class conscious, or at least dressing like they were less class conscious.

I don't mind tuxes or gowns but formal wear is increasingly becoming an outdated mode of dress. Not dead yet, but I predict it will be a very low % of Celebrity cruisers who don it within 5 years.

Edited by bEwAbG

I no longer take mine, do not know if it even fits anymore. The last time I wore one I rented it to make sure it fit (at that time, mine was too big, probably has shrunk since then LOL).

However, getting dressed up does give you an excellent opportunity to get some professional pictures taken. We have several formal night pictures hanging in the hous. If wasn't for the nuisance I would consider at least renting a tux so I would not have to pack it.

We just got back from Transatlantic Cruise. This is first time we have not brought my husbands tux. He wore a nice suit and tie. I was pleased to see about 20 percent still in tuxes, Everyone has different interpretation of what Chic is.

The only thing I did not like was seeing so many ladies in pants in the evening. I brought several skirts and dresses and was pleased to see a lot of women did the same for all nights.

I've got a couple of Celebrity cruises coming up and more planned in my head. I've also put together a tux outfit that I want to bring along. I guess My wife and I just like dressing up and the feeling of being part of something special from time to time. Are we going to feel like total misfits and be uncomfortable? I'm really OK with being in the dress wear minority though! We will be eating in Blu if it matters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Blu = "Dress Code Smart Casual" (http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-blu) EVERY NIGHT. This has always been the dress code in Blu... long before Celebrity eliminated Formal Nights.

As usual on these dress code threads (which should all be merged immediately to the "sticky" thread on dress code) the OP has been supplied with bogus information and inflated "estimates" of how popular formal wear is no longer. One poster provided an update from last September before formal nights were eliminated (so useful). Normally, these threads provide a more balanced perspective that formal wear is in steep decline on Celebrity. Some cruisers are still ignorant of the change last year, so they still pack as in the past; however, after finding out on the first evening chic night, they dress much more casually for the next evening chic night. Of course, there are some cruisers who still want to play dress up... :rolleyes:

We just got back from Transatlantic Cruise. This is first time we have not brought my husbands tux. He wore a nice suit and tie. I was pleased to see about 20 percent still in tuxes, Everyone has different interpretation of what Chic is.

The only thing I did not like was seeing so many ladies in pants in the evening. I brought several skirts and dresses and was pleased to see a lot of women did the same for all nights.

Pants? Oh the horror. :eek: what year is this for heavens sake? :rolleyes:

Ckfred

On quite a few of our cruises we have seen men wearing kilts and very smart they look too.

bEwAbG

In the U.K. Pants are men's underwear and if the boys in my class at school weren't wearing them I'm sure it would have been a bit draughty for them.

When I first started work in an office it was unheard of for women to wear trousers for work. This was particularly the case if you worked in banking or insurance in the City of London.

Yes, times have changed and not always for the better. I have always enjoyed dressing up and making an effort if going somewhere nice.

Funnily enough, OH and myself were commenting on Donald Trump's attire last night. You would never see a European politician wearing a suit with a baseball cap on their head. It just isn't done.

I've got a couple of Celebrity cruises coming up and more planned in my head. I've also put together a tux outfit that I want to bring along. I guess My wife and I just like dressing up and the feeling of being part of something special from time to time. Are we going to feel like total misfits and be uncomfortable? I'm really OK with being in the dress wear minority though! We will be eating in Blu if it matters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

DH often still wears a tux. And I am usually "over-dressed" on casual nights and I don't care. There are no fashion police, and you may wear whatever you wish, or as "dressed up" to the nines as desired.

I love that I am still seeing many passengers continuing to look elegant. Particularly our European neighbors! In the past, we went to many political fundraisers and balls where one had to dress, and I miss it. So we look forward to our dinner "dates" when cruising!

In our March Equinox 2016 cruise, we ate in Blu, and we fit in perfectly.

All of that being said, quite a few of the men don't even pack a sportcoat/jacket anymore. Times are achangin'!!

But, will anyone be in a dinner jacket, black tie, and kilt? Except for my cruise last March on the Majesty, any time I've sailed on Royal Caribbean, there has been at least one man, and often two or three, wearing Scottish formal attire on formal night.

My DH wore his kilt outfit in July on Reflection and was not alone. He is undecided about our next cruise, but after reading this thread I will encourage him to still take it

Sent from my iPad using Forums