Does Anyone Wear a Tux Anymore?

Swabia

I've got a couple of Celebrity cruises coming up and more planned in my head. I've also put together a tux outfit that I want to bring along. I guess My wife and I just like dressing up and the feeling of being part of something special from time to time. Are we going to feel like total misfits and be uncomfortable? I'm really OK with being in the dress wear minority though! We will be eating in Blu if it matters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

DH and I also enjoy dressing up. We are on Silhouette next month and plan on him wearing a tux and me my long gown. We don't care how others dress we just do our own thing and have fun doing it. We never feel out of place because we are having fun.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

We like dressing up but not packing all that stuff. Our last cruise, Caribbean on Connie in Feb. the men in tuxes were are plentiful as the extinct dodobirds.

:( That was right after X got rid of formal nights in favor of Evening Chic, the translation of which is "Whatever"!

Are we going to feel like total misfits and be uncomfortable? I'm really OK with being in the dress wear minority though! We will be eating in Blu if it matters.

No one can answer how you will feel. ;) Since you don't mind being in the minority, go for it. There is a small percentage that still dresses truly formal. However remember formal nights are no longer part of the dress guidelines on Celebrity ships.

DH wears his tux and I wear gowns for 'elegant' nights. I wear dresses and DH wears slacks and a short sleeve dress shirt every other night.

That is part of the charm of cruising for us: Date nights all week!

Cruising with DD (22) next month and she loves the opportunity to dress for dinner too!

ba8db1472cef8e9d4255f23bae966526.jpg4302bcd602de45f711dce3f2d9adab0e.jpg884e75dc472389a56642b165a40f22f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've got a couple of Celebrity cruises coming up and more planned in my head. I've also put together a tux outfit that I want to bring along. I guess My wife and I just like dressing up and the feeling of being part of something special from time to time. Are we going to feel like total misfits and be uncomfortable? I'm really OK with being in the dress wear minority though! We will be eating in Blu if it matters.

That is a dying trend.

By the looks of most people on our Alaska cruise on "chic" nights in May, I would not say it is a dying trend, especially not with those of us who still love dressing for those nights. There were people of all ages dressed to the nines on both "chic" nights.

Edited by ProfessorandtheGeek

We have just come off the Solstice down under where we are more informal than perhaps the Northern Hemisphere. There would have been over half dressed to the nines on the three elegant chic nights. It was interesting to note that those around the Molecular Bar and Martini Bar were generally in their finest perhaps something to do with "premium packages". I am strictly more informal but I never felt out of place. In fact it would fair to say that no one cared what anyone else was wearing or doing, they were too busy enjoying themselves. If you want to wear your tux then go for it if not then dont

We have an upcoming cruise (later this month) on the Eclipse...and I plan on taking my Tux. We are generally in Aqua Class where smart-casual has been the dress code for several years....but DW and I still prefer to dress-up. We have never been alone with our formal clothes...although you will now see just about everything (including baseball caps).

Hank

Hello Swabia. Part of the fun of going on a cruise for us is the Dressing up.

I think it's lovely seeing the ladies in their evening gowns and the men in Tux, suits or Kilts. We usually travel on a line that really isn't renowned for passengers donning formal attire, but we enjoy whatever cruise we are on.

We are definitely in the minority on this line but often get comments on how smart we look. If you feel comfortable with what you choose to wear i really wouldn't care if some people thought i look odd. Happy cruising. :)

Currently on Solstice 14 night cruise from Singapore to Sydney. Still a great showing of men in tuxedos and ladies in their best frocks. It's quite a mix really, but don't think anyone looked out of place, nor did those that did not dress to impress ruin anyone's evening [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go for it.

I don't think you can ever look over dressed in a tux, just very smart.

On our Sept Reflection cruise ( med cruise, lots of Brits on board ) there were loads of tux 's on formal night.

It definitely made the 'mismatched shirts, ties and shoes' brigate look a little under dressed

No. most cruise lines are down below 5%.

Which, of course, tells us nothing about Celebrity. On a recent Med cruise, I reckon around 15% were in Texes/DJs. On "Evening Chic" nights, most men wore ties or very smart shirts; someone on our table who'd "guessed" wrong arrived in a very informal short-sleeved shirt and said he felt more uncomfortable.

There may, of course, be some geographical variations. I'd expect that out-of-season sailings from Southampton, for example, have a higher Tex/DJ rate.

Stuart