Does Anyone Wear a Tux Anymore?

Swabia

FYI irons not allowed on board- however you can for a fee, have your clothes pressed. Or buy a spray fabric softner that helps.

Even casual clothes sometimes require pressing . We have been to many black tie affairs that suggest "black tie" of course not mandatory!

Not everyone needs spanx and those who do male or female, wear them with casual clothes also.

Of course to each his or her own- it is your vacation and you should do what works for you!!

That is another reason I stopped bringing the tux, then went to only a suit, and finally a less expensive travel blazer that does not wrinkle when Celebrity still had formal evenings. Bad pressing. They would overpress my stuff. I ended up steaming my clothes in the shower and dousing them in Downey rather than sending them to be pressed, and the pressing would have been free!

Actually...luggage is not a so called 'faux issue'

We travel with 20" carry on each only. For a week or for three months. This is what we will be taking on our 14 day cruise in Feb. But we will be travelling for 9 weeks.

We only take what we can each physically handle. It is what we can each schlepp into the rental car, carry up a few flights of stairs if necessary, or lift into an overhead compartment on a train.

Nothing whatsoever to do with cost of airline bags (a non issue for us). It is all about what we are each physically capable of handling. We have been travelling this way since we retired. Cannot remember the last time I actually wore a suit on a cruise ship. Probably when I was working and went from home-airport-cruise ship. Life is not like that for us anymore. And we meet more and more early retirees like us who are travelling in a similar manner.

Not even to a wedding or a prom?

You have not missed much. I own two tuxes and will avoid wearing them ever again if at all possible in the future. Which should be easy as I doubt I will be invited to an Inaugural Ball next year, LOL.

It is not just the tux, there are the accessories, the cummerbund, cuff links, tux shirts, studs, self tie bow tie, patent leather shoes. They do look good but what a pain. And there is no reason wear them on a cruise vacation. If I get invited to a real event I will wear, not a faux event on a cruise ship. But anyone who wants can wear a tux on a cruise and I don't think they will feel out of place on Eveng Chic evenings. At least from what I have seen so far. My next cruise will be about a year since they changed to Evening Chic and it will be interesting to see any changes from a year ago and six months ago. On those two cruises there were passengers who didn't know about the change or who had booked before the change.

I did go to Proms back in the late 1970, but never a tux or suit. I am married, but got married at the court house. Just us and the witnesses. I'm from a small family and never been part of a wedding party. I'm a only child. Maybe if I had a sister. Even my parents and grand parents did not have weddings. I have never needed to wear a tux. I do have a very nice black suit. I dress in nice jeans and polo shirts. I do have some dress slacks. I would say 85% of my clothes are Ralph Lauren. If I needed a tux I would probably buy Ralph Lauren.

One of the reasons that my husband still wears a tux is because he rents it from X. It saves him packing 2-3 outfits and a pair of shoes! :D

My experiences early on were that rented tuxes....looked like rented tuxes. They never fit quite right or looked quite right. That is why I ended up owning two tuxes. It's the same with suits. None should wear a suit or tux off the rack. Take it to a tailor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I've got a couple of Celebrity cruises coming up and more planned in my head. I've also put together a tux outfit that I want to bring along. I guess My wife and I just like dressing up and the feeling of being part of something special from time to time. Are we going to feel like total misfits and be uncomfortable? I'm really OK with being in the dress wear minority though! We will be eating in Blu if it matters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

We see lots of Tuxes on the Eclipse. With their 14 day Caribbean trips, the pax tend to be older & dress nicer.(Even with the new Chic night)

We see lots of Tuxes on the Eclipse. With their 14 day Caribbean trips, the pax tend to be older & dress nicer.(Even with the new Chic night)

I thought I read in one of your posts that the last time you did Celebrity was when they still had formal nights? That you have not done a sailing yet with Evening Chic.

If that is considered fashionable then I'm glad I don't dress fashionably.

I don't consider it fashionable but there were several articles including in the Wall Street Journal that is was a new fashion trend. Several designers featured the look at their shows.

Edited by Charles4515

I don't consider it fashionable but there were several articles including in the Wall Street Journal that is was a new fashion trend. Several designers featured the look at their shows.

I'm glad I don't follow trends then.

I personally have never wore a tux in my life. I'm going to be 58 next month. The last I checked only 10 restaurants in the United States require them. If people want to wear a tux go for it.

Me too. I have never been anywhere or in any situation that required one. Then again I am a youngster compared to you - only 55. Who knows what might happen in the next 3 years?

However like you I am also in favour of people wearing them if they want to. If that's what floats you boat then go for it and who cares how many other people are wearing them.

I did go to Proms back in the late 1970, but never a tux or suit. I am married, but got married at the court house. Just us and the witnesses. I'm from a small family and never been part of a wedding party. I'm a only child. Maybe if I had a sister. Even my parents and grand parents did not have weddings. I have never needed to wear a tux. I do have a very nice black suit. I dress in nice jeans and polo shirts. I do have some dress slacks. I would say 85% of my clothes are Ralph Lauren. If I needed a tux I would probably buy Ralph Lauren.

I've been to many, many weddings but not a single one required formal dress for guests. It's just not a thing that people in my family and circle of friends do.

Sandals with socks is becoming fashionable again. No kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use the word "fashionable" personally. Wearing your pants down to the bottom of your butt was a trend but certainly not fashionable. Just my humble opinion.

We were on a cruise a few years ago and saw many tuxedos that looked like they came from the days of the silent movies. But they now longer fit the quite the same.

Maybe those folks are in luck...they kept that gear long enough for it to come back into fashion, go out of fashion, and now it has come back again.

Sandals with socks is becoming fashionable again. No kidding.

Surely you jest. The only folks that think its OK are the one's who wear the socks or those that treat toe fungus :). And I guess it might be OK for those trying to cover smelly feet.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Surely you jest. The only folks that think its OK are the one's who wear the socks or those that treat toe fungus :). And I guess it might be OK for those trying to cover smelly feet.

Hank

I read it in the Wall Street Journal so it must be true......:D

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ill-be-darned-wearing-socks-with-sandals-is-fashionable-1442322000

Edited by Charles4515

Hank

OMG! We have gone from OP asking if he'd be out of place in a tux to butts hanging out of pants, smelly feet and foot fungus. Time to close this thread I think.

Actually...luggage is not a so called 'faux issue'

We travel with 20" carry on each only. For a week or for three months. This is what we will be taking on our 14 day cruise in Feb. But we will be travelling for 9 weeks.

We only take what we can each physically handle. It is what we can each schlepp into the rental car, carry up a few flights of stairs if necessary, or lift into an overhead compartment on a train.

Nothing whatsoever to do with cost of airline bags (a non issue for us). It is all about what we are each physically capable of handling. We have been travelling this way since we retired. Cannot remember the last time I actually wore a suit on a cruise ship. Probably when I was working and went from home-airport-cruise ship. Life is not like that for us anymore. And we meet more and more early retirees like us who are travelling in a similar manner.

Land travel is a whole different animal. When we combine land travel with a cruise, we have two Rick Steves like backpacks that we use for the land portion, and a separate cruise bag (rolling garment bag) that we leave with our post-cruise hotel and swing back to pick it up for the flight home. We've completed several vacations using this practice. One was 42 days total, with a 14 day cruise after five days in London.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

DW very much likes her Rick Steves carry on roller. Great wheels. It has held up well. The biggest test for us is wheels, zipper, and weight. Doing carry on precludes much of that airline baggage wear/tear,and damage.

We almost never return to our disembarkation port. In this case it is Valparaiso. We will probably leave one carry with a hotel in Santiago while we are travelling in Chile. After that we fly to Panama City for three weeks travel through Panama and Costa Rica. Then home. We are also doing two weeks of land travel prior to embarking in Buenos Aires.

Crazy I know but it is better than sitting at home.

Edited by iancal

DW very much likes her Rick Steves carry on roller. Great wheels. It has held up well. The biggest test for us is wheels, zipper, and weight. Doing carry on precludes much of that airline baggage wear/tear,and damage.

We almost never return to our disembarkation port. In this case it is Valparaiso. We will probably leave one carry with a hotel in Santiago while we are travelling in Chile. After that we fly to Panama City for three weeks travel through Panama and Costa Rica. Then home. We are also doing two weeks of land travel prior to embarking in Buenos Aires.

Crazy I know but it is better than sitting at home.

Sounds like a wonderful adventure!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I've got a couple of Celebrity cruises coming up and more planned in my head. I've also put together a tux outfit that I want to bring along. I guess My wife and I just like dressing up and the feeling of being part of something special from time to time. Are we going to feel like total misfits and be uncomfortable? I'm really OK with being in the dress wear minority though! We will be eating in Blu if it matters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I always pre-order a tux on Cruise Line Formal Wear. I enjoy wearing mine and will continue to do so. Wear your tux. Who cares what others do.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

OMG! We have gone from OP asking if he'd be out of place in a tux to butts hanging out of pants, smelly feet and foot fungus. Time to close this thread I think.

Yeah, we understand. Life is too short for humor (humour for you Brits).

Hank:D