Does Anyone Wear a Tux Anymore?

Swabia

We see lots of Tuxes on the Eclipse. With their 14 day Caribbean trips, the pax tend to be older & dress nicer.(Even with the new Chic night)

unless you're making up when you cruise the last time you were on Eclipse was Jan 2015, there were no Chic nights then, it wasn't introduced until I believe around November.

I thought I read in one of your posts that the last time you did Celebrity was when they still had formal nights? That you have not done a sailing yet with Evening Chic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, the evening Chic came about 6 mo. after our last cruise. We still keep in touch with some pax we've met & they said there were still quite a few pax still wearing tuxes. We only wore our tuxes on Cunard. We wear suits on Celebrity & will still wear them on our Jan. cruise coming up.

unless you're making up when you cruise the last time you were on Eclipse was Jan 2015, there were no Chic nights then, it wasn't introduced until I believe around November.

That's correct, but from some pax we've met, it seems tuxes are still worn by a pretty good amount of pax on the Eclipse. Seems the Eclipse with it's longer Caribbean cruises, attracts an older more formal crowd than on the rest of Celebrity. We had friends who cruised on the silhouette who brought their tuxes & saw quite a few who wore them as well & this was after Chic night started.

Me, rocking the socks & sandals look in Barcelona:

IMG_5977.jpg

& my feet & toes are very nicely pedicured & free of any infections :)

You are rocking them. If I wore socks with sandals I don't think anyone would think I was rocking them. Some can get away with that and look great, and some can't. I am in the latter category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on Silhouette for a 9-night cruise out of Rome in September. We had a Royal Suite and spent a lot of time in Michael's Club and Luminae. We got to know the other Royal Suite and Penthouse Suite passengers very well. We didn't see anyone in a tuxedo. I would have felt very over dressed if I had wore one.

Blu = "Dress Code Smart Casual" (http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-blu) EVERY NIGHT. This has always been the dress code in Blu... long before Celebrity eliminated Formal Nights.

As usual on these dress code threads (which should all be merged immediately to the "sticky" thread on dress code) the OP has been supplied with bogus information and inflated "estimates" of how popular formal wear is no longer. One poster provided an update from last September before formal nights were eliminated (so useful). Normally, these threads provide a more balanced perspective that formal wear is in steep decline on Celebrity. Some cruisers are still ignorant of the change last year, so they still pack as in the past; however, after finding out on the first evening chic night, they dress much more casually for the next evening chic night. Of course, there are some cruisers who still want to play dress up... :rolleyes:

VERY TRUE...the formal gang always posts over and over on these threads and ALWAYS way over exaggerate the number of tuxs worn....The OP said they will be in Blu which is ALWAYS smart casual though you are free to wear your formal wear though you most likely be the only ones dressed formally....in the MDR my estimate these days is about 10% in suits, another 5% in formal and the rest in various states of dress shirts and slacks, with some ties, most without...

VERY TRUE...the formal gang always posts over and over on these threads and ALWAYS way over exaggerate the number of tuxs worn....The OP said they will be in Blu which is ALWAYS smart casual though you are free to wear your formal wear though you most likely be the only ones dressed formally....in the MDR my estimate these days is about 10% in suits, another 5% in formal and the rest in various states of dress shirts and slacks, with some ties, most without...

Formal gang.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

I haven't worn a tux since chic night began, not because I don't want to, but because of the extra baggage, especially my dress shoes. We'll be on a B2B in December, and my wife has already addressed the issue. Twenty two days on board. This will be interesting. I'd love to wear it, if I could just have it appear magically in my stateroom.

I always pre-order a tux on Cruise Line Formal Wear. I enjoy wearing mine and will continue to do so. Wear your tux. Who cares what others do.....:):):)

Bob

For me it's all about the restrictive weight allowances when flying from the UK. I'm never going to use up precious kilos with a tux, black shoes etc. On the three cruises we've done so far I hired from Cruise Line Formal Wear as we like dressing up. Last two times, the quality of the tuxes were abysmal, old, worn out, one the jacket had a tear and the replacement was worn through on the cuffs - and they weren't cheap.

Plan to cruise again next year after a gap but for the aforementioned reasons, I will never wear a Tux on a cruise again.