Whats the story about negative Koningsdam Reviews?

Hlitner

I recently sailed on the Koningsdam and found the ship to be wonderful! My only complaint, was with the cabin steward, and I think that may have been related to extra attention being paid to all of the VIP's that were on board. While I'm already booked for 2017 I would like to sail on the Koningsdam again. Also am looking forward to her sister ship when it is ready.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My comments had nothing to do with ageism.

More to do with expectations. If someone's cruise habit is to cruise on HAL to the exclusion of all other cruise lines in the recent past then those expectations vis a vis the ship size/amenities, crowds, etc. may be not be realized. Age is not the issue.

Bottom line is that there have been massive changes in the industry over the past ten years. No doubt more are to come as the economy and the financial realities of the business change over time. We are enjoying the changes. We are getting more value for our money, more amenities, and most especially more choice.

People who still value small ships can still find something to their taste. That is IF they are willing to take what they paid in 1995 and spend the same amount in todays inflation adjusted dollars. That increase would be anywhere from 50-60 percent in actual dollars. So far it would appear that the vast majority of those cruisers have said no and voted with their wallets.

Edited by iancal

If you sailed on the K'dam this year, do you remember your cruise director's first name?
The current CD is "J.T." who joined the ship for the T-A. I can't tell you his last name, or any other crew, as they no longer publish a cruise log. :(

We also did the 16 Night TA on Koningsdam and feel that Arie did a very fair and balance review on this Ship!

We loved many things about this Ship especially the Specialty Restaurants, NY Deli, Dutch Café, etc.! World Stage is also a huge improvement over other Show Lounges. There are many Pros to this Ship but there are Cons, too!

We also did not like Open Seating mixed in with Fixed and felt Service suffered as a result. It put too much stress on the Servers (and kitchen).

We felt the design of the Lincoln Stage across from Billboard was a poor one. On Oosterdam they are not across from eachother and Billboard had a 7:15 p.m. Show which was great for Late Seating to go and enjoy some Music and a drink before dinner (or for those who eat earlier). The "old" Ocean Bar, too, is sorely missed especially for those that enjoy dancing or just like to watch others while having a drink and listening to Music.

We found the Ship lacked lounge entertainment in the early Evening hours.

They still need to tweak the NY Deli. One gal making sandwiches led to long lines and long waits as well as one guy making Pizza. We did not like the new layout of the tables in Lido and also found that Lido was very crowded and hard to get a table. Same situation on Deck 10 with the NY Deli. This maybe better in the Carib with many off the Ship as opposed to a TA but breakfast hours it was the same situation with crowding!

We thought the Ship was beautiful and had a lot to offer but the lounge entertainment is an area they really need to improve and because of this we will shy away from booking her!

Personally speaking, I believe the cruise director and his or her staff plays a big role in the overall "enjoyment" factor of any cruise. Afterall, they are responsible for planning most of the events (or lack there of) while you're on the cruise aren't they?

Just for curiosity I wonder how many different cruise directors the K'dam went through their first year? We had Shawn on our 14 day mid July Norwegian cruise. If you sailed on the K'dam this year, do you remember your cruise director's first name?

We had Jonathon on both of our Koningsdam cruises ... Actually he has been the CD on all our HAL cruises these past few years. We have always called him the invisible man as he very rarely conducts any activities instead just delegates everything to his hardworking assistants ... Previously on the RotterdAm the joke amongst passengers was that he did all his announcements from his bed !

The cruise director plays zero part in our enjoyment of a cruise.

He or she can only detract from our enjoyment by being too much in our face, making far too many announcements or for those oh so tired jokes.

Edited by iancal

We also did not like Open Seating mixed in with Fixed and felt Service suffered as a result. It put too much stress on the Servers (and kitchen).

We also have open seating on our Dec 4 cruise. How many days in advance can you reserve a table? Can you ask for the same table so that you have the same waiters? Thank you.

We also have open seating on our Dec 4 cruise. How many days in advance can you reserve a table? Can you ask for the same table so that you have the same waiters? Thank you.

We had Fixed Seating so not really able to help with your question. We haven't done Open Seating in several years. Some who had Fixed had to wait for their Table to open up from Open Seating Diners. It happened to several we spoke with but that was corrected after they spoke with the Maitre'd and had no problems going forward. Whoever came up with mixing both never worked in the restaurant business!

You can book up to 3 days in advance, I believe. Has to be at the non-peak times though. If I recall correctly, you can reserve for time slots up to 6:30 pm and after 7:30 pm. Best to check on board as things can change.

And yes, you can ask for the same table and waiters.

We took the TA, and I did write what I thought was a fair review from my perspective. When I read reviews, I toss out the top two positive and top two negative and read the middle.

That being said, I would strongly encourage people to try the K'dam if you find an itinerary to your liking. It is a lovely ship with some shake-down issues. Overall, the crew was excellent with a few leakers.

Cruise with an open mind and make your own decision at the end. It is either a ship you will like or not like.

One thing I will warn about. At the Dive-In and New York Deli you are given a buzzer to let you know when your food is ready. This might be germ central. I would recommend using a napkin to hold the buzzer as I saw people coughing, wiping their nose on their hand and handling the buzzer.

The cruise director plays zero part in our enjoyment of a cruise.

He or she can only detract from our enjoyment by being too much in our face, making far too many announcements or for those oh so tired jokes.

+1

whoo hoo :D

Edited by VMax1700

We want to thank all that responded to our OP on this topic. After reading all the comments and looking at more Koningsdam reviews, we decided to not book the 21 day Koningsdam cruise (we had a cabin on hold). Rather then deal with some of the issues (posted and in reviews) we decided to book the Celebrity Reflection for the same time period (at a much better price).

Hank

:D

We recently posted a new thread about the latest US News and World Report rankings. Among the HAL ships the Koningsdam rated near the bottom of the heap. The negatives just keep on coming and what is troubling is that the K'Dam is the model ship for the future of HAL.

Hank

:eek:

We want to thank all that responded to our OP on this topic. After reading all the comments and looking at more Koningsdam reviews, we decided to not book the 21 day Koningsdam cruise (we had a cabin on hold). Rather then deal with some of the issues (posted and in reviews) we decided to book the Celebrity Reflection for the same time period (at a much better price).

Hank

Have a good time!

It is a shame though, that you ( and probably others) were run off by a few malcontents with personal issues....

Edited by Tennessee Titan

We had Jonathon on both of our Koningsdam cruises ... Actually he has been the CD on all our HAL cruises these past few years. We have always called him the invisible man as he very rarely conducts any activities instead just delegates everything to his hardworking assistants ... Previously on the RotterdAm the joke amongst passengers was that he did all his announcements from his bed !

+1

One of the most useless CDs we have encountered!

Have a good time!

It is a shame though, that you ( and probably others) were run off by a few malcontents with personal issues....

I am not sure that is the case. After reading about the size of the cabins I will never book her. Maybe it is a personal issue, but our cabin is so tiny that even a single chair won't fit in it, you can call me malcontented.

Have a good time!

I think it is a shame that we appear to have lost any tolerance for other people's views and opinions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Ans what kind of cabin is that?

That is a "large inside cabin" as described on yesterday's thread "Large inside cabins on the Konigsdam" They are described as tiny up to and including a balcony. Sorry, in my reply I meant to say "if our cabin" rather than "our cabin". Didn't mean to imply that we have sailed on her.

That is a "large inside cabin" as described on yesterday's thread "Large inside cabins on the Konigsdam" They are described as tiny up to and including a balcony. Sorry, in my reply I meant to say "if our cabin" rather than "our cabin". Didn't mean to imply that we have sailed on her.

I have never seen a large inside cabin with a balcony......

I have never seen a large inside cabin with a balcony......

I think they meant that the inside was tiny to and including the verandah cabins.

I felt the verandah cabin was perfectly adequate and no smaller than other cruise ships we have been on.:rolleyes:

We peeked into the inside cabins and they were small but as far as we saw it ....we would never book an inside....we need a window at the very least.

We took the recent TA and believe me I was a little apprehensive from the reviews but alarmingly we loved it and did not sweat the small stuff which had us appreciating much more the Kdam had to offer! Great trip!

If you are a bit of a snowflake or prima donna...maybe not for you! We saw a few of those onboard but it seemed more like lack of manners and an entitlement attitude!

I think it is a shame that we appear to have lost any tolerance for other people's views and opinions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Agree! Tennessee and Lalaland both insulting everyone who has a different opinion calling names such as snowflake, prima donna and accusing people of having personal issues! WOW! Maybe it's the other way around and you two are the ones with Personal Issues and are the Snowflakes, etc. since you can't tolerate anyone who has a different opinion than your own! Since you both appear so upset by it shall we send you some playdough and a coloring book! Shame on you both!

Edited by idiebabe