When unable to sleep at night

waterlegs

Bit of a strange one. I am a poor sleeper and have heard that mattresses can be very hard on RCI ships. Is there a night time etiquette in public places on the ships? I would be prone to getting out of bed if very unsettled and going reading a book or similar in another room of the house. Would it be a big no no to go to the library or other public area in pjs during the night if unable to sleep?

Bit of a strange one. I am a poor sleeper and have heard that mattresses can be very hard on RCI ships. Is there a night time etiquette in public places on the ships? I would be prone to getting out of bed if very unsettled and going reading a book or similar in another room of the house. Would it be a big no no to go to the library or other public area in pjs during the night if unable to sleep?

Go where ever your heart desires just don't go screaming down hallways

Personally I would find it weird. The same as if I went to the department store and you were snoozing away regardless of your outfit. That said, I don't think you wandering the ship in your PJs is okay. Would you do that in a hotel? I walk into the computer room or where ever in a hotel and there is this guy sleeping. I would move my kids away from him because I would think he might have issues.

What if someone wants to use the library for a library? You are making it impossible and/or uncomfortable for them to do so. So, I find it very selfish to do such a thing. This is not YOUR home it is home to 3,500 other people.

So, to answer your question - yes I would say it is a no no.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Absolutely no PJ's on when running around, however, feel free to wander where you choose to if you are having a hard time sleeping. Go relax in the hot tub's, read in the Solarium etc.

If the bed is too firm why not ask your room steward for some type of mattress pad, we've done it frequently and it can make a difference. As to your sitting and reading a book if unable to sleep I see no reason not to. IMHO it's no different than seeing people slouched down on the sofas and sleeping during the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally I would find it weird. The same as if I went to the department store and you were snoozing away regardless of your outfit. That said, I don't think you wandering the ship in your PJs is okay. Would you do that in a hotel? I walk into the computer room or where ever in a hotel and there is this guy sleeping. I would move my kids away from him because I would think he might have issues.

What if someone wants to use the library for a library? You are making it impossible and/or uncomfortable for them to do so. So, I find it very selfish to do such a thing. This is not YOUR home it is home to 3,500 other people.

So, to answer your question - yes I would say it is a no no.

She is not talking about sleeping elsewhere she is talking about reading a book somewhere else on the boat

AND I SAY AS LONG AS YOUR PJ'S ARE APPROPRIATE THEN GO FOR IT - Now if your talking about running around with all your junk hanging out then put on a house robe

Seriously pajama's today look like regular clothes and often times will leave people more covered up than peoples clothes

If the bed is too firm why not ask your room steward for some type of mattress pad, we've done it frequently and it can make a difference.

I would personally not go to public places on the ship in my pj's. Not in public. But you won't be prevented if you wanted too.

^ Agree with both of these replies.

OP waterlegs, wait until you get on board and see how you find the mattress. Don't anticipate a problem before checking it out. We have always slept soundly on our RCI cruises, but the mattress topper is available for the second and subsequent nights if you want. :)

Also, the ship is home to others and indeed it is like a city. Would you wander the city streets in your pajamas? Go to the store? I say probably not. And honestly, others don't want to see your jammies any time of day or night, no offense. Why don't you keep some sweatpants and a shirt by the door so if you do leave your cabin at night you can slip into something else.

I'm hoping you'll enjoy your cruise day and night, and be tired enough at night to sleep through, with the gentle motion of the ocean rocking you to sleep. Here's hoping. :)

I have sleep issues as well. I find that a quiet, dark inside cabin, located away from public areas and elevators, makes it easier for me to get to sleep. If I do wake up in the middle of the night I have my Kindle Paperwhite, which is lighted, so I can read without turning on the lights and disturbing my wife.

Hi Waterlegs,

I have spent many night time hours on cruise ships wandering or reading. I love the deck at night. I'll take a small blanket and read on a deck chair or hammock. I wear track pants and a t-shirt. no one has ever bothered me.

If your jammies are sweats and a T, no one will look at you twice.

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

Thanks for all the varied replies. It will be my first cruise and that is why I wanted to ask here before doing something that might be frowned upon. I would not be wearing pjs out and about or in a hotel or a store etc. They would be full pjs and covered with something. I do think reading is the correct use of the library and wouldn't really expect to find others using it at 3/4am but who knows. However the kindle paperwrite idea is the best solution I think. I had been thinking about buying one of these at Christmas anyway.

Many years ago I was having an awful sleepless night on a RCI cruise. So to avoid keeping DW awake I left the cabin and went up on deck where I eventually settled into a lounger and fell asleep (Finally). Within a few minutes I was rudely awakened by a security officer (who told me he was just making his rounds) who simply wanted to know if I was OK. Grrrr.

Hank

They would be full pjs and covered with something. I do think reading is the correct use of the library and wouldn't really expect to find others using it at 3/4am but who knows.

You'd be surprised at the number of passengers up and out at 4 am, seriously. Some might just be calling it a night, others are starting their day, others are unable to sleep. But again, please don't wear your PJ's out, even if you have a robe or something covering them. Although technically permitted, it's just not something many people do.

You'd be surprised at the number of passengers up and out at 4 am, seriously. Some might just be calling it a night, others are starting their day, others are unable to sleep. But again, please don't wear your PJ's out, even if you have a robe or something covering them. Although technically permitted, it's just not something many people do.

Strangely enough, I've found almost the exact opposite - mebbe we prefer different ships. ;)

When I can't sleep & pad up to the deck for a smoke at around 4am I find it's like a ghost ship - no passengers, just the occasional crew member wielding a water hose or a vacuum cleaner.

To prove the point, drawing coffee at a drinks station at that ungodly hour is like pouring treacle :D

But yes, I always put on clothes for the foray - don't want to frighten the crew :p

JB :)

I have sleep issues as well. I find that a quiet, dark inside cabin, located away from public areas and elevators, makes it easier for me to get to sleep. If I do wake up in the middle of the night I have my Kindle Paperwhite, which is lighted, so I can read without turning on the lights and disturbing my wife.

Kindle Paperwhites and Voyages are surprisingly good for poor sleepers. I find the way the light layer works actually helps me get to sleep, and back to sleep if I wake up in the middle of the night. It doesn't seem to set off the "I'm awake" triggers like a regular bedlight or backlit screen (ie phone or iPad) does. I'm actually sleeping much better since I got my Voyage and DH often doesn't even realise I'm awake when I'm reading it in the middle of the night, even if he wakes up too.

I certainly wouldn't recommend wandering around a ship in PJs. If the OP doesn't have a Kindle, a regular LED book light works quite well and usually doesn't disturb another sleeper.

I think it depends on what your PJ's look like. If they are the lounge wear type that you could run out to get the mail or answer the door and not feel conspicuous, then I would say you could go to library in the middle of the night and be fine..maybe wear a sweat shirt as well. I have seen some outfits on cruise ships that would make conservative PJ's look like formal wear!!:eek:

My simple question seems to have sparked off considerable debate. I asked the question here, prior to taking my first cruise so I would know what is considered ok and not ok, in order not to offend anyone. My question has been answered now and I am fine with putting on clothes if necessary. Totally respect that some people, if there were any others awake at 4am, may not like to see someone in pjs. Whole point of me asking here first. Maybe we could bring it to a close now? I don't know how to discontinue the thread.

I don't know how to discontinue the thread.

You can't. :p

We'll just whitter away for a week or two & eventually we'll all get bored and the thread will drop to the bottom of the page, then to Page 2, 3, 4, 1004, 10004 and disappear into the ether.

You've told us you're happy that you've got your answer, so it won't be rude just ignore future posts - and if you get fed up with notifications you can "un-subscribe" to the thread (bottom of this page on the left)

JB :)

I don't know how to discontinue the thread.

You can do this by clicking on the little red triangle in the right corner of your first post in the thread (the one you started with). As the OP (original poster), you can ask the moderators to delete this thread for whatever reason you ask. You can tell them your question was answered and you don't like the way the thread is going now - just explain and politely ask for the thread to be removed.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and sleep well. :):):)