Carnival Liberty 11/19. We feel ripped off.

MrJimbo

To those saying it is unsafe to sail on, my question is, how is it unsafe? If it was unsafe I highly doubt the Coast Guard would have signed off on it and let it sail.

While I agree that the loss of the ports may be disappointing, Carnival is offering options for compensation as well as full refunds should you choose to cancel.

Situation sucks but, as has already been said, ship happens.

To those saying it is unsafe to sail on, my question is, how is it unsafe? If it was unsafe I highly doubt the Coast Guard would have signed off on it and let it sail.

While I agree that the loss of the ports may be disappointing, Carnival is offering options for compensation as well as full refunds should you choose to cancel.

Situation sucks but, as has already been said, ship happens.

The ship is not unsafe at all. Hopefully chengkp75 will be along shortly to totally debunk that rumor. If it was not seaworthy, it would not sail. Period. Ships have sailed for months with propulsion problems. The rest of the drama, Im not even gonna touch. People need to read the damn contract they sign. They can change whatever they want whenever they want to wherever they want and dont have to compensate a dime.

If someone is worried about your vacation being "ruined" then dont take a cruise. Stuff happens.

Edited by ryano

The ship is not unsafe at all. Hopefully chengkp75 will be along shortly to totally debunk that rumor. If it was not seaworthy, it would not sail. Period. Ships have sailed for months with propulsion problems. The rest of the drama, Im not even gonna touch. People need to read the damn contract they sign. They can change whatever they want whenever they want to wherever they want and dont have to compensate a dime.

If someone is worried about your vacation being "ruined" then dont take a cruise. Stuff happens.

He did just that on the other thread....

We are on the 12/15 cruise out of Port Canaveral. Apparently, this will be the first one on the Liberty & they will not board the ship until 6pm. On the one hand, I'm still going on a cruise. On the other hand, this is only a 3 day, so we already don't get a long cruise, and they have just shortened it. Not to mention all the horror stories I hear about the first sailing after dry dock. I'm actually kind of ticked off and would consider cancelling, but then we'd have unused vacation days that we lose at work.

Oh, and by the way, I just love how the people telling us to quit whining, we're still on a cruise, we signed a contract, yadda yadda, are the ones who aren't affected by any of the changes.

Edited by silverpenguin

We are on the 12/15 cruise out of Port Canaveral. Apparently, this will be the first one on the Liberty & they will not board the ship until 6pm. On the one hand, I'm still going on a cruise. On the other hand, this is only a 3 day, so we already don't get a long cruise, and they have just shortened it. Not to mention all the horror stories I hear about the first sailing after dry dock. I'm actually kind of ticked off and would consider cancelling, but then we'd have unused vacation days that we lose at work.

Oh, and by the way, I just love how the people telling us to quit whining, we're still on a cruise, we signed a contract, yadda yadda, are the ones who aren't affected by any of the changes.

Is there anither cruiseline you could check? Or different ship during the same timeframe?

They must be working on the earlier cruises first. I was booked on the Valor for December 22nd, and it's still showing the Valor. I guess they'll make the change to the Liberty after getting the upcoming cruises out of the way first. We were only going to the Bahamas for a pre-Christmas/return Christmas day getaway, so the change is ok with us. I wonder for those that don't want to sail on the Liberty, if they'll ask for a refund or credit towards another sailing with all the propulsion issues the Liberty has been having lately.

After posting on the Carnival Facebook page they have no answered my question on this itinerary (on which we are booked). But, todays sailing was altered and the sailing on the 26th has been altered (two days in Cozumel as opposed to visiting Progresso and Cozumel).

Just logged in to my cruise manager and oh..look...the itinerary is GONE!!

What an f'n joke!!

The compensation is indeed a measly $50 onboard credit to make up for losing two ports and gaining one port that is on the same coast as Cozumel. But, the good news, is you CAN CANCEL FOR A FULL REFUND!

How is your vacation ruined? Are you still not going on a 7 night cruise?? :rolleyes:

A ruined vacation is completely subjective. And so is value.

A $50 credit may have been a good deal for those on shorter, cheaper cruises. But for those of us who can only travel during holiday periods and pay premiums to do so, it doesn't seem like a good deal at all.

Believe me, I am trying really hard to cross over to the positive side.

In the meantime, please let folks like me gloat in our own misery.

Yup got the email at 2am that we will now be sailing on the Liberty instead of the Valor for our cruise on 1/22. I just don't want to lose my connecting cabins! Not really concerned about the rest. ;);)

My exact same concern. The connecting cabins are a must for us.

Yes we know Carnival can make changes as needed and yes they are offering a full refund if you choose to cancel or $50 OBC pp and 25% off future cruise and yes we will make the most of it but if you are not personally affected no need to post if you can't be of help.

We do appreciate the weeks notice and I really feel for the ones that had their cruise cancelled the day before.

Like others said this is Thanksgiving week a premium week and one of the few times we can take our kids on vacation during the school year and it wont be the cruise we paid for now, yes we pay for ports not just the cruise. Now we only have 2 ports instead of 3 and can't celebrate Thanksgiving in Cozumel as planned.

Since we are boarding late we will miss eating lunch on board and possibly dinner and half day on the ship. No compensation there.

Canceling Grand Cayman and Falmouth 2 very good ports that us and our kids were very much looking forward to sucks to say the least and then changing to Costa Maya and only giving $50 OBC. Not good and we don't even know anything about Costa Maya or what to do there.

We know they don't have to offer anything but when you see the last few offers for cancelled sailings, changed or missed ports on the Liberty, when it's a Carnival problem, and then good offers from the last hurricane, not Carnivals problem, you would think we would be given a better offer.

Like we said we will make the most of it and just wish Carnival would change the offer to a more reasonable one.

Lastly we don't have Facebook so can't message Carnival there is there an email where anyone is sending questions and complaints?

Go and then take advantage of the Vacation Guarantee program.

Just remember you need to have passports for everyone.

Why would you have them go on the cruise to start with if they are upset? They have the ability to get a full refund. Personally, I'd rather go on Liberty than Valor, but that's me.

I guess, to me, missing the ports and getting the OBC plus a future discount would work. I know not everyone wants that, but that's how things happen.

For those who will never cruise again with Carnival, getting your full refund should work and even though you aren't doing the vacation you wanted, you still can go on vacation with your refund.

I am not a Carnival cheerleader, but I do feel that Carnival is doing what is the best solution to the problem at this time. I realize many will probably have problems with hotel fares, airlines etc. but if they have cancellation insurance, that might work to cover those expenses.

Here's what I posted on the "Liberty update" thread:

I'm going to bet that they had a problem with a propulsion motor, not an alternator as previously stated. On another thread regarding this problem on the Liberty, I explained how each of the two propulsion motors had two separate windings, each winding providing half power to the motor. If one winding in the motor fails, the motor can only produce half power. I believe the Dream or the Breeze is sailing currently with this problem as well. I guess they were hoping for a failure that could be repaired quickly, but have found that it will require renewing the winding. This requires cutting a hole in the side of the ship and moving the motor out. Think along the lines of Liberty's recent bow thruster repair, but magnify the size and weight of the motor by 10. Since Liberty is scheduled for drydock in January, they will make the repair then.

As for safety, the ship still has 75% of its propulsion power, in 3 separate systems that would all have to fail to stop the ship, and 100% of its power generating capacity. As stated before, the flag state, the classification society (insurance underwriter), and the port state (USCG) have determined that the ship is seaworthy, and presents no undue risk (other than the normal risk of going to sea) to the passengers, crew, or environment.

I rechecked and saw that Liberty's drydock is in December, and I also posted that:

Now that I look at the drydock schedule, I think that the repair won't be made during this drydock, most likely there is a lead time problem, as most of this kind of equipment isn't off the shelf. I do know that there is still some disruption at Grand Bahamas Shipyard, causing either schedules to shift or work to be curtailed, so an unscheduled addition to Liberty's yard plan of repairing/replacing a propulsion motor may not be viable.

I know that for some people, their vacation will not go exactly as planned and it's too bad. But on the other hand, you guys booked a CRUISE! Yes, you EXPECT the cruise company deliver on their schedule, itinerary and offerings. But stuff happens....all the time! It's like booking during hurricane season. You book because that's the cheapest time to sail so you can't complain about missing a port due to weather. Now, a propulsion malfunction is not the same thing. I know!! But they are still giving you choices. Choices they DON'T have to give you. You can either sail with them on your 7 day cruise with fewer ports (they will also be refunding you for the paid missed port fees) on another ship (more on this later) with some extra credit or you can cancel for a full refund and re-book another sailing of your choosing. If you decided to travel without travel insurance, all other expenses are on you. You can't blame Carnival for this.

The ships: The Valor and The Liberty are basically twins, constructed one year apart one from another. Those with connecting rooms will more than likely be transferred to connecting rooms. The only one I think will have a hard time will be those transferring from the Scenic Ocean View cabins on the Valor since the Liberty lacks this type of cabins. I have sailed on both and now that the Valor has the 2.0 upgrades, there should really be no difference. I like the decor of the Liberty more than the Valor but to each his own.

The Liberty is currently unable to reach or maintain it's optimum cruising speed and that is why it will be re-positioned to an itinerary with less ports and less distance between them in order to keep it's schedule. That's why they need the Valor for the longer distance cruises. The Liberty is fit to sail. Just at a slower pace.

I have spoke to the director of guest solutions regarding the port cancellation and port switch of the Nov 19 cruise. No further compensation will be given beyond the already offered $50 cruise cash. Absolute rip off!!! I will definitely not cruise with CArnival ever again.:mad:

I have spoke to the director of guest solutions regarding the port cancellation and port switch of the Nov 19 cruise. No further compensation will be given beyond the already offered $50 cruise cash. Absolute rip off!!! I will definitely not cruise with CArnival ever again.:mad:

Per person and 25% off a future cruise but of course it's your choice to forego that part (but it's wrong of you to say CCL only offered $50, it's $50 per person plus a 25% off credit). They are also letting you cancel without penalty if you want to.

I never got an email with an official notification, but I can see the changes in My bookings. We haven't made a decision whether to cruise or request a refund. If we choose to stay with the cruise, do we need to call for the $50 OBC and 25% off future cruise or do they automatically give it to you? Does anyone know how long the 25% off is good til? Not sure how quickly we'll book another cruise.

This was from John Heald:

I have some important information to share with you today regarding Carnival Liberty and Carnival Valor.

The cruise ship Carnival Liberty, which is homeported in Galveston, Texas, is experiencing a technical issue which is affecting the ship’s maximum cruising speed. The issue is only affecting the ship’s speed and all other systems are operating normally. The ship is capable of operating cruises at reduced maximum speeds while Carnival’s technical team, together with outside experts, continues to work to fully resolve the problem.

In light of the above, the remainder of Carnival Liberty’s cruises through the month of November will have modified itineraries (detailed below). Following these voyages, the ship will go into a previously scheduled drydock then reposition to Port Canaveral, Florida to operate cruises from that port beginning December 15.

This change is being made since Carnival Valor is better suited to operate at the higher speeds required for the four and five-day Mexico itineraries from Galveston while Carnival Liberty is well equipped to handle shorter duration cruises from Central Florida.

Built only one year apart, Carnival Valor and Carnival Liberty are sister ships with similar accommodations, public venues and Fun Ship 2.0 features including Guy’s Burger Joint, BlueIguana Cantina, the RedFrog Rum Bar and BlueIguana Tequila Bar.

Carnival Liberty’s modified cruises from Galveston for the balance of November are as follows:

• NOV. 14 CRUISE - The Nov. 14 five-day departure will include an overnight call in Cozumel (the call at Progreso has been cancelled). The ship’s arrival back into Galveston on Nov. 19 will be delayed until later in the day. Guests sailing on this voyage will receive a $50 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 25 percent discount on a future Carnival cruise. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund.

• NOV. 19 CRUISE: The Nov. 19 seven-day cruise will include stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya (the calls in Falmouth, Jamaica and Grand Cayman have been cancelled). The ship’s departure time will be 10:00pm for this cruise. Guests sailing on this voyage will receive a $50 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 25 percent discount on a future Carnival cruise. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund.

• NOV. 26 CRUISE - The Nov. 26 five-day departure will include an overnight call in Cozumel (the call at Progreso has been cancelled). The ship’s arrival back into Galveston on Dec. 1 will be delayed until later in the day. Guests sailing on this voyage will receive a $50 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 25 percent discount on a future Carnival cruise. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund.

In addition, one Carnival Valor voyage, the four-day cruise from Port Canaveral departing Dec. 11, will need to be shortened to allow sufficient time for the ship to transit to Galveston:

• The scheduled December 11 four-day cruise from Port Canaveral on Carnival Valor will be shortened to a three-day cruise departing on December 11. The cruise will visit Freeport and Nassau which were the scheduled ports on the four-day cruise. Guests sailing on this voyage will receive a one day pro-rated refund of cruise fare and a $25 per person credit to their shipboard account. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund.

For guests on Carnival Liberty being transferred to Carnival Valor and vice versa, the cruise line will automatically transfer the reservations. Affected sailings are now temporarily closed in the system as the reservations team prepares to make the necessary changes. This work is expected to be completed by the end of November at which point new confirmations will be sent to all guests and they will again be able to access their reservations. Fly2Fun flights, transfers and other vacation components such as dining choices, pre-paid gratuities, shore excursions, Fun Shop items and Spa reservations will be maintained as originally booked.

We sincerely apologize to our guests for this disruption to their vacation plans.

Might want to see what other lines do before you cut bait

Sent from my iPhone

I am traveling with a large group of ladies on January 14th out of Galveston originally on the Liberty. I was notified today that we will be moved to the Valor by the end of November and that they will work their best to put us in the same category cabin and location. I appreciate that they are addressing the issue with the Liberty and are trying to do what is best for all of us by switching ships. I still get to go on a 5 day cruise, I still get the same two ports and I still get to do something that a LOT of people don't....take a vacation. The glass can either be half empty or half full. It is your choice! Have a great weekend!

Vicki