Old time cruisers what is the farthest back you go

JAYRAY1259

First cruise I remember was a three day trip from Florida to Nassau in 1960 although I had sailed to Panama when I was about two or three. Although I wasn't enthralled by Nassau, I loved being on the ship.

I was lucky enough to do a crossing on Queen Mary when I was 12. There are three things I remember the most. First, we had an inside, 4-berth cabin that we shared with two two strangers (my mother was not pleased as she had not been told we would be sharing). Although I loved the ship I hated the inside cabin which felt like living in a closet. To this day I would not consider an inside cabin for a cruise.

The second thing I remember was the signs for First Class. We were traveling Cabin Class and I liked to explore the ship (still do today:D) but often came upon these signs that blocked my investigations!

The final thing I remember was sailing into New York harbor and seeing the Statue of Liberty. Although I had seen her before, this was the first time seeing her from a ship after crossing the Atlantic.

First experience with a cruise ship was in 1968, when one could still go aboard to "see the ship" while she was in port, in NYC.

I remember when we heard the "last call" to get off before the ship sailed, and all of the expected jokes about what if we didn't get off... :rolleyes:

First two real cruises were during the 1974 & 1975 holiday seasons, short cruises from Miami to the Bahamas.

There were 3 generations.

We definitely had "the cheap seats" on a less expensive ship, but I absolutely loved it!

I remember mostly all metal walls, VERY "blah", all very functional but nothing much in terms of "decorative".

Did I mention that I loved the cruises? :)

I found what was a bit of an unusual deck plan for the cabins that I haven't seen recently (but I haven't looked for it, either).

There was a tiny hallway perpendicular to the regular main hallway, and off of that were 3 cabins: at the far end, two cabins, one each off to the right and left sides.

Those each had a couple of portholes. Just before one of them, on the right side of the little hallway, was an inside.

So we had our own little alcove, which was quite convenient, almost like a 3-cabin suite, even if not as fancy, and also not totally private.

Because we had two young children with us, it was pretty easy to leave the cabin doors open when we were there, and just tell the kiddos not to go past the door to that inside cabin.

(I doubt that we'd do that sort of thing in this day and age, alas.)

It turned out that one of the children got violently seasick, so that was the end of it for a while.

It was way too many years until I went on another cruise.

DH had insisted that he'd hate cruising, so I had to go without him at first.

However, once I finally got him on board (not until recently), he couldn't believe how relaxing it was.

He's hooked now, too!

My first cruise was in 1966, on the beautiful Chandris (now Celebrity, hence the cross on the funnels) Australis.

We sailed from Southampton to the Mediterranean, Lisbon, Naples, Cannes, and Casablanca.

My sister and I had a cabin on one of the lowest passenger decks, with just a hand basin and communal toilets and showers down the corridor. There was Lino on the floor and no frills. Each night our bed was made up in a most curious way with the sheet and blanket laid on the top of the bed and folded like a sleeping bag, not tucked in. Every morning our steward would bring us tea in bed. However, there were no towel animals or chocolates on our pillows! My parents were lucky enough to have a very small cabin with an ensuite bathroom - pure luxury!

Every morning they wheeled a bouillon trolley along the wonderful Promenade deck which was fully enclosed with brass edged windows, and lined with wooden loungers, and we would sip this hot consommé from small cups.

Meals were by today's standards pretty basic, with few choices, and on gala evenings such as the Captains Dinner there was no choice. There was no buffet, as such, but on sea days they would lay up a buffet along the Promenade deck with amazing sugar models of the ship or Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Entertainment in the Main Lounge, with a Mezzanine running down both sides, was done mainly by the staff. A wonderful Greek Bouzouki group, The Athenians, would also entertain us. Staff would join in and dance to the Greek music.

We had long stays in port, often until late at night, so plenty of time to explore, and we were enthralled by all aspects of shipboard life.

The tiny shop low down in the bowels of the ship stocked various items from Australia as the ship did the Immigrant £10 passage. We bought koala bears and slippers made from kangaroo fur.

On one sea day we had the hilarious Crossing the Line Ceremony when King Neptune and his entourage arrived onboard and unsuspecting passengers had to traverse a greasy pole and be slapped around with dead fish. The swimming pool was tiny, just a small square.

My sister and I absolutely loved everything about the ship. By today's standards it was pretty basic, but she was a wonderful sight to behold when we reached port, and it was fascinating to watch tugs pulling her in and out of the harbours.

Sadly this beautiful ship, once the SS America, came to an ignominious end, wrecked off the coast of Fuertaventura, on her way to be scrapped. She survived for several years, at the mercy of the waves, and was gradually destroyed by the very sea she had sailed on.

We also sailed on Ellinis, a beautiful and elegant ship, and then, a year after we married, my husband and I sailed with my parents on Britannis, but this time my parents had the Lanai suite, a beautiful room. We all succumbed to what we would now call norovirus, so even in those days it was around. When we visited Madeira people would buy wicker furniture, and this would be lashed down on the deck for them to take back to Southampton - imagine Health and Safety allowing this now with fears of pests etc being brought into the country!

In between my family cruised on P and O's Canberra, one of the first ship to be designed with her funnels at the back of the ship, instead of centrally located. She had two classes and never the twain should meet. We were in Tourist Class and could never pass through the doors labelled FIRST CLASS ONLY.

In those days we were able to visit ships whilst in port and one of my most vivid memories is of boarding the SS France in Southampton one evening for a tour. She was elegant and ultra modern, with little French bell boys who operated the elevators. Little did we know that we would one day sail on her as the NCL Norway,on a transatlantic cruise.

The NCL Chairman was onboard that cruise, and when we complained about the apalling condition of our children's cabin and their terrible mattresses he came to our cabin to see for himself. To cut a long story short he invited us to a cocktail party in his Royal Suite and put it at our disposal for the rest of the long cruise, as he was using the other owners suite on a higher deck. It was amazing with a huge lounge, dining area, 2 marble bathrooms and two bedrooms. We were invited on the bridge for the sail away from Madeira and my son got to blow the ships horn.

My first cruise began a lifelong addiction to cruising. My daughter even became an officer onboard a British cruise ship before returning to University to take her second degree in Midwifery.

I still get the same sense of excitement 50 years later whenever we board a ship. With over 50 cruises under our belts it is still my favourite way to vacation.

Edited by ellie1145

Thank you, Ellie and the Geezer's

loved your memories, fascinating how much cruising has changed. You certainly bring the old days to life. Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to regale us with you wonderful memories and experiences.

My first cruise was on a Cunard ship in 1973 . There were no such things as shore excursions . Men were required to wear a suit and tie for lunch and dinner on sea days .

Everyone had a porthole or an inside cabin. The only outdoor activities were shuffleboard ,skeet shooting and use of the pool

During the evening the choice was a movie or a show with top name entertainers .

The cruise was 7 nights from NY to Bermuda .Total cost for my wife and I including tax $699.00.

It was a wonderful cruise.

March '81. Carnival Tropicale. The MDR was in the bowels of the ship. My DH got really sick from a combination of the movement and the vibration of the engines. When we woke up the first morning and saw the vivid blue water of the Bahamas we couldn't believe it was real.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forums mobile app

March '81. Carnival Tropicale. The MDR was in the bowels of the ship. My DH got really sick from a combination of the movement and the vibration of the engines. When we woke up the first morning and saw the vivid blue water of the Bahamas we couldn't believe it was real.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forums mobile app

Ah, yes. Thank you for the reminder... the FIRST time seeing that amazing pale blue CLEAR water!

We were all exclaiming how we could SEE THE BOTTOM!!!!! and we *had* to take a glass bottom boat, even though we hadn't planned on spending that kind of money back then.

It took decades longer to have a chance to show that water to DH for the first time. He simply didn't "get it" about that until... the first time he actually saw that water. :)

It never ceases to amaze us when we first arrive somewhere with that clear water.

Thanks again for bringing back the feeling of seeing that water for the first time.

In 1966 our family was going to England for my sister's wedding. My parents loved tranatlantic crossings and had done several. These were crossings, not cruises. My mother felt that air travel would be the death of the tranatlantic ships so arranged that we would fly to the UK and return on one of the Cunard Ships.

Then Cunard was hit with a major strike and our crossing was cancelled. My parents were so disappointed. They got us passage on the Hansiatic, a German Ship. But it was much more bare bones than Cunard and my parents were very sad. We kids were bored. Not much to do, movies in German and the voyage was 8 days!

But it was an unforgettable adventure!

My 1st cruise was in the late 70's on board the Sun Viking (Royal Caribbean). She carried 750 passengers.

We also received a booklet that had the names of all the passengers. Remember you had to 'DRESS' for dinner and that mean formals. I was traveling with my parents but when the decided to invite me to go along with them there was no room at their dining table; so I was seated at a table of ALL single ladies, and the ship had some of it's officers ask ALL of us single ladies to dance later on in the evening. I was so glad that my grandfather had taught me how to dance the waltz.

Also there was the mid-night buffets. I also remember the costume party they also had - it was amazing what people could come up with just with things that were around ship.

My first cruise was in 1966, on the beautiful Chandris (now Celebrity, hence the cross on the funnels) Australis.

We sailed from Southampton to the Mediterranean, Lisbon, Naples, Cannes, and Casablanca.

My first cruise began a lifelong addiction to cruising. My daughter even became an officer onboard a British cruise ship before returning to University to take her second degree in Midwifery.

I still get the same sense of excitement 50 years later whenever we board a ship. With over 50 cruises under our belts it is still my favourite way to vacation.

Loved your stories -- thanks for sharing them. :)

• 1 month later...

Carnivale back in 1983. I remember the Song of America was brand new at that time, and was huge next to our ship (and also looked gorgeous, as well.) Many on our cruise were jealous and would have liked to have been on SOA instead, but we still had a good time.

As a 17yo, I cruised on the SS Malaysia http://www.ssmaritime.com/Malaysia.htm. We sailed from Singapore in August 1966, visiting Port Moresby on the way to Sydney. I was spoil and had a cabin to myself in First Class. :)

It was a two class ship with many interesting people who had traveled overland from England on their way back to Australia. Sailing was cheaper than flying then. The pool was a canvas affair assembled on the deck over the cargo hulls. We young ones enjoyed our time in the pool diving for cutlery thrown in by the crew. I well remember that the bar, where I got my soft drinks and extra's, open at 4 PM. :)

Hello,

First cruise was on the HAL's MS Prinsendam, December 1974 out of Singapore, visiting Jakarta, Penang, Semarang, Bali etc...fantastic introduction to cruising !

And yes, as someone else mentioned in a post...we were arriving in Singapore from Manila, and as long haired teen, I had to get a nice scalping (haircut) to ensure that I would be allowed to enter Singapore !!

That MS Prinsendam, a few years later, (1980) caught fire and sank off Alaska...all crew and passengers were rescued without loss of life !

Happily cruising still !!

BBL

First cruise was October 1965, I was 19. my dad had business on the SS Yarmouth Castle and I joined him on a wonderful 3 day cruise. Unfortunately, two weeks later November 12, the SS Yarmouth Castle caught fire at sea, sank,with many lives lost.[emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Missymo

Around 1974 we sailed Drake's Passage in the British Virgin Islands on Windjammer's Flying Cloud. This was a converted tri-mast, British Cadet ship built in 1931. It carried 70 passengers and a crew of thirty. The Captain was Scottish and had once captained the Queen's Yacht. We sailed during the night and spent days in quiet lagoons on numerous islands. One even had a nude beach which got a lot of attention. Every morning started with coffee, cinnamon buns and Bloody Mary's. One-fifty-one proof rum swizzles started each happy hour. Dressing for dinner meant putting on a Tee-shirt over your swim suit. We booked the same trip a year later. Several years after that the Flying Cloud put passengers ashore pending an approaching Hurricane and sailed into the Gulf of Mexico. The Flying Cloud and remaining crew were lost at sea.

My first cruise was the William O. Darby, Boston to Vietnam, in 1966. Since that cruise was "Federally Funded", there were no amenities.

The post cruise land portion was no fun, either. That was a 12 month Cruise Tour that would never have been on a Top Ten Travel List.

So, after coming home and living for a few decades, I started to cruise again in the mid-1980's and I got hooked immediately.

In my 50+ cruises since, I continue to enjoy the experience . . . even though the declining quality of the food, forced shopping and unwelcome announcements are becoming a little too much.

Despite this, cruising is the #1 form of travel for me.

My first sailing (not a cruise per se, but rather a voyage) was in 1948, NYC to Piraeus (Athens). I recall the train ride to NYC, standing on deck watching all the streamers being thrown and my aunt and other people on the dock calling out Bon Voyage! Not much else about the journey. This was on the S/S Vulcania, an Italian ship under lease to the American Export Line. In 1950 we returned to the Staes on the S.S. Exeter from Piraeus to Naples, then time touring through Europe, then the S.S. Excambion from Marseilles to NYC. (Both of these, again, with the American Export Line.) From that trip (I was going on 6 years old) I remember Zermatt, the Bern bears, burned out sections of German cities, many many many churches in Italy and France, the Eiffel Tower; I remember buying cokes at the bar ($.05), playing shuffleboard, and seeing the Statue of Liberty on our way into port. I have the passenger list for one of those trips - they used to print those up and hand them out in a small booklet so you could know who was on board.

A few years later, 1955, we did a two week trip from NYC to Buenos Aires on the Moore McCormick Lines S.S. Argentina (or maybe it was the sister-ship S.S. Brasil. My brother and I disagree on this point.) Elegent dinners, fancy menus where the cover was not a reusable plastic shield, but rather a nicely printed print of a work by a South American artist. The menus were meant for us to keep as souvenirs. Afternoon tea served on deck. I remember throwing pennies and dimes into the water for the local boys to dive for when we were anchored off of Barbados and Jamaica. And I remember being stranded atop Sugar Loaf (Rio) for many hours due to a cablecar malfunction. (It wasn't a ship-excursion, but they did wait for us.)

In 1958 we went from NYC through the Caribbean and Panama Canal down the west coast of South America as far as Arica. Where we disembarked (via tender) and took the train to La Paz. I have 8mm movies I took of the Canal passage, reviewed those before we went through in 2015. I remember standing at the bow on the open main deck for hours, just watching the waves and birds and dolphins. All of the ports we visited were tender ports. Often didn't go ashore - the ship had 50± passengers, was primarily a freight hauler.

I have fond memories of those early trips. As I grew older, I was put off by the party-boat image of modern day cruising and only reluctantly agreed when my wife asked to do our first one together in 2013. My love of being aboard was rekindled, but you will not find me in the midst of the loud party scene.

Stan