Formal wear Australia

A T-shirt and shorts will be fine for Australian cruising that time of year. I was on the Radiance of the Seas in early December last year and that was pretty much the style for the entire cruise. I personally would not bother packing a suit at all for Royal Caribbean. My smart casual is often better dressed than what most Australians consider as formal on those ships.

Yes I have to agree with ozscot01 in saying that I disagree with brisbane41 - shorts and t Shirt are not an option for formal wear, and is not the normal. A tie isn't too much to pack in and can come in handy.

In saying that, you can wear T Shirt and Shorts if you want to eat in the Windjammer as opposed to the MDR on formal nights.

We are also on a Christmas Cruise (Ovation of the Seas) over to NZ - but are packing in some formalwear, as it's great opportunity to dress up and have some fun with new friends.

You may well be in the minority in a suit on formal night on RCI as their dress code is noted as "suggested". Whilst some people do dress up most were in what I would consider smart casual (as in what you might wear out to dinner at a restaurant in a city).

My advice would be long sleeved shirt and trousers, jacket optional, tie probably not required.

yes i have to agree with ozscot01 in saying that i disagree with brisbane41 - shorts and t shirt are not an option for formal wear, and is not the normal. A tie isn't too much to pack in and can come in handy.

In saying that, you can wear t shirt and shorts if you want to eat in the windjammer as opposed to the mdr on formal nights.

We are also on a christmas cruise (ovation of the seas) over to nz - but are packing in some formalwear, as it's great opportunity to dress up and have some fun with new friends.

ditto

I wear a long sleeved shirt and Trousers for Dinner each Night and a suit and tie for formal nights, it's something I don't get to do very often at home so when I am on a cruise I like to this. I wear boots and coveralls every day so it feels good to dress up a bit.:cool:

I think both are right. T-shirts and shorts aren't 'formal wear.' However, I've also witnessed - a small number of - people going in the dining room in shorts/t-shirts, or skimpy attire for women, but they weren't turned away.

So I agree with what people are saying about the requirements but also with Brisbane41's experiences. The new RCL: anything goes.

edit: Just thinking about it, it could be a Chaser skit: how far will they let you go before actually turning you away?! Not that I need to see that, but I think if they're going to put down a policy, they should enforce it too.

Edited by The_Big_M

Royal Caribbean will not turn anyone away from their bars or shows just by wearing a T-shirt and shorts on a formal night on their ships.

That is what I observed last year on Radiance of the Seas and I decided to go with the flow and dress the same on some nights.

As I said my smart casual of trousers and button up collared shirt is considered formal to the average Australia who takes these cruises.

I think maybe Oaktree was referring to formal nights and dinning . I don't believe anyone wearing shorts will be permitted entry to the MDR on formal nights on the majority of cruise ships. Elsewhere on the ship this expectation does not apply.

Edited by happysnapper

Formal night is definitely specific to the dining room on RCCI ships but it's nice to see people in their formal gear out earlier and later in the evening. I don't know how it works with the four dining rooms that may or may not have a formal restaurant vs formal nights when Ovation is based in Australia.

I have only received a very confusing letter from RCCI that seems to say they aren't doing the four different dining rooms on rotation.

My family will be putting on black-tie for whatever passes for formal nights.

Edited by bigjsl

For my one next month I'm actually making an effort and packing a tux. Maybe I'll look overdressed, maybe not. I totally rock the classy look though.

I will be doing the same on the Ovation for NYE and our travelling friends will be doing likewise.:D

Love your work, it's good to dress up and I know my wife likes me to look smart too.:cool:

Love your work too - we love to see people who have made the effort.

Pre-cruise - my wife always gets prepared for formal nights however I cannot afford a tuxedo and we have airline luggage restrictions .. but I dress up as best as I can afford to (suit & tie minimum).

I just think it is what is expected.

If you want to be a bogan stick to the buffet and wipe yer chin on yer singlet

Pre-cruise - my wife always gets prepared for formal nights however I cannot afford a tuxedo and we have airline luggage restrictions .. but I dress up as best as I can afford to (suit & tie minimum).

Remember you can wear a dress shirt and bowtie, or just a bowtie with a regular shirt, with an ordinary dark suit if you wish.

Remember you can wear a dress shirt and bowtie, or just a bowtie with a regular shirt, with an ordinary dark suit if you wish.

Yup. Thanks for the tip Kiwi mate.

Kia Ora.

I am going through some personal tough times here. Dunno how to post in private that on this forum but I don't care.

But it is nothing compared to the hurt you guys are going through.

I trust all is well with your family over in the shaky isles.

Kia Ora.

I am going through some personal tough times here. Dunno how to post in private that on this forum but I don't care.

Unfortunately no private messaging here, I sort of understand why, but sometimes it would be nice.

Kia Ora.

Thanks, Dobby. Yeah, family are further down in the South Island so not really affected by the earthquakes.

Sorry to hear things aren't great for you at the moment. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Love your work too - we love to see people who have made the effort.

I just think it is what is expected.

If you want to be a bogan stick to the buffet and wipe yer chin on yer singlet

Lowes have some cheaper options for a Tux if you are keen, but a dark suit with bow tie is adequate.:D