Why does Port Canaveral get the old ships?

Tm100

I have too much time on my hands. Sorry you could not join us on the MJ this past weekend. Hopefully next time:)

Gosh yes, I would have loved to join you. Taking away Bucky's November "chillin' in the

Florida Keys" ...would have not set well for him. ;)

Indeed hope we can join you all the next time! :D

Beg to differ with many of you. We are tired of driving to Ft. L and paying to stay in a hotel overnight to make certain we don't miss the ship. We can drive to PC in about 2+ hours and no overnight costs.

If coming from out of state or out of US would much rather fly into Orlando than Ft. L or Miami. Have you all forgotten about Disney and Universal and not to mention Kennedy Space Center. For those who enjoy shopping until you drop, Orlando offers superior shopping opportunities.

Lived in Miami for 26 years and in Orlando for 10 years so know both areas well. Don't know the economics of the deal for RCCL but for the consumer, I vote for PC.

Thankfully we have choices to suit our personal needs.

I fly for all my cruises and much prefer leaving from Ft Lauderdale. Prices for hotels are significantly cheaper (you already mentioned Disney and Universal in the Orlando area generally causing increased overnight prices). Flights are generally cheaper (again blame Disney and Universal), and port to airport and vice versa is significantly more simple from Ft. Lauderdale.

Wonder which O class ship will be based out of Miami when the new rci port is done

I will wonder with you. Even if RC has one specific ship in mind, they are likely to change their minds between now and sometime in 2018 I think it is?

I don't know anyone who would rather fly into Orlando for a 7-night cruise, unless they were planning to extend their trip for a number of days before or after to go to the theme parks. I'm sure they're out there, but I would say most people prefer flying into FLL or MIA for a week cruise. They're much closer to the port, and you have more options to choose from in terms of flights (since you can fly into either airport for either port). For those who are just coming in to take a week off for a cruise (most cruisers) it's just easier to do MIA & FLL.

I don't think Orlando has better shopping opportunities either, considering the Aventura and Sawgrass Mills malls are the 2nd and 5th most visited malls in the country. Let alone the Miami Beach and Las Olas areas.

It IS more convenient for people in Northern Florida or southern states to drive to, which is why it's one of the "big 3" cruise ports (with Everglades and Miami). Throw in the theme parks, and it's own beach area (Cocoa Beach) it certainly gets a lot of cruise passengers, which it should. That haul, and expense, of traveling to/from Orlando though takes a bit of luster off of the "wow" of a new cruiser going on a new ship, which is why the newer ships might not be there.

It's good to have choices, but flying into FLL for a Miami cruise or vice versa negates any of the inconvenience of flying into Orlando for a PC cruise.

I regularly get from PC to MCO in less than 40 minutes.

Also, are you aware MCO is spending almost 2 billion USD on a new South terminal. And another 1 billion on a train station. And it's already the biggest airport by passengers in all of FL.

I guess in a couple years you can fly into Orlando and take the train to Miami.

Finally, Orlando is second to Vegas in terms of hotel rooms.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Except more of the country can drive to Galveston rather than fly to PC.

You sure about that? TX has 28 million to FL 20 million, but the surrounding states of GA, AL, and SC add another 20 million.

How far is it from KC to Galveston?

Edited by John&LaLa

If I remember correctly, Mariner was the last and only new ship that Royal Caribbean International sent to Port Canaveral. Freedom was several years old when they sent it to Canaveral. Now they upgraded to a seven year old Oasis and replaced Ecnhantment with the old Majesty.

Why not Harmony or Allure?

Freedom was only around 3 years old...

You sure about that? TX has 28 million to FL 20 million, but the surrounding states of GA, AL, and SC add another 20 million.

How far is it from KC to Galveston?

12 hours if I am driving 10 if my wife is driving. The northwest of Alabama is about the same distance to either. And KS, AZ, OK, Mo Ar La are all closer.

12 hours if I am driving 10 if my wife is driving. The northwest of Alabama is about the same distance to either. And KS, AZ, OK, Mo Ar La are all closer.

Well if we're talking 12 hours 😱 I guess we can throw in NC, TN and VA. 😉

In my opinion 12 hours is to far to drive

I don't think it's random on where they place new ships. I'm sure they analyze the market. Florida has four ports because they can fill the ships and there is less distance to the Caribbean and Mexican destinations. When I look at the going going gone deals, the best deals are normally out of Galveston and New York. I would think that's because that's what it takes to fill the ships.

Geesh....just be glad they have ships. Unlike those of us on the west coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not complaining, love Oasis. They can keep Harmony down south. I even booked a few on MJ this winter to give her a chance

Well if we're talking 12 hours 😱 I guess we can throw in NC, TN and VA. 😉

In my opinion 12 hours is to far to drive

Make it 24 and you can throw in the whole east Coast and Southern Ontario. Toronto to PC in 22 hours, I could do it in less but they make me stop for bathroom breaks.:D