HAL or Celebrity to Alaska

PoppyandNana

We are so confused we're ready to go to Europe instead of Alaska. We have never been to Alaska but have been to Europe six times.

Problem is we can go on HAL for 14 days for about the same price as 7 days on Celebrity. Much prefer X and are elite on board.

Do we enjoy a leisurely 14 day cruise on HAL enjoying the scenery or a short cruise (hate short cruises) and spend couple of thousand more on the Denali, train, camping with bears, in and out of hotels thing etc?

Edited by PoppyandNana

We loved our HAL Zaandam cruise to Alaska. We flew into Anchorage and drove three hours to Seward, sightseeing on the way. The cruise ended in Vancouver where we also spent time.

HAL and Princess are known to be the best for Alaska because they have contracts to go where others cannot.

I think you have answered your own question. You saud you hate short cruises.

I prefer celebrity and you will see plenty of Alaska in 7 days, I have done the Denali portion of the trip, and personally I thought it was over rated.

What time if year are you thinking if going?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app

We prefer Celebrity, but due to a great promo and price on NCL, we took the NCL Sun for our last cruise in September. The cruise visited Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier.

It was a great cruise and our daughter joined us in our cabin and her cruise was free. Still, the price was cheaper than HAL or Celebrity.

Celebrity does have the clear edge on food quality, but we found that NCL had improved the MDR food quality on the Sun.

We have never cruised HAL due to the smoking policy (which will be changed soon). We did a private tour to Denali after our cruise and on our Tundra Wilderness Tour about 80 percent of the people on the bus were from a HAL group. We could smell the tobacco smoke on their clothes when they got on the bus.

I have done the 14 day HAL cruise on the Amsterdam which is the ship being used in 2017. I would recommend it for the fact that you see the Hubbard Glacier, Homer, and Kodiak, two very small and rural non-commercialized Alaskan towns where you get the feel of what Alaska is. However, you need to realize that the ship is smaller - 1380 passengers, and older but elegant. The crew is fantastic. You won't see the glitz and glamour of a Celebrity ship.

At the moment, I am booked on the HAL 14 day voyage for next summer but am considering Celebrity's 7-day Seward to Vancouver. A hard choice but maybe I can do both - ha ha.

We are so confused we're ready to go to Europe instead of Alaska. We have never been to Alaska but have been to Europe six times.

Problem is we can go on HAL for 14 days for about the same price as 7 days on Celebrity. Much prefer X and are elite on board.

Do we enjoy a leisurely 14 day cruise on HAL enjoying the scenery or a short cruise (hate short cruises) and spend couple of thousand more on the Denali, train, camping with bears, in and out of hotels thing etc?

My standard answer -- "why not do both". Take HAL northbound to Seward, spend some time on mainland Alaska, and take Celebrity southbound. You will get more variety of ports, including Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

We did a 24 day cruise/land trip for less money than a 12 day Land/Cruise from either Princess or HAL.

Think outside the brochure! :rolleyes::)

Kel

I would vote for the 14 day HAL cruise over X. I love both lines, and actually did 13 days in Alaska on the long-lost Mercury, but double the length of time, on (to me) an equally good cruise line for almost the same price? Plus getting to visit some farther-away places? No question here!

I would vote for the 14 day HAL cruise over X. I love both lines, and actually did 13 days in Alaska on the long-lost Mercury, but double the length of time, on (to me) an equally good cruise line for almost the same price? Plus getting to visit some farther-away places? No question here!

Somebody suggested we look at the Grand Princess, ten nights out of San Francisco. The Grand is a little long in the teeth but was renovated in 2013.

Love San Fran; good chance to spend a few days there or even fly into LAX and drive up the coast. Turns the ten days into a fourteen albeit not on a ship.

Any thoughts on this idea? Appreciate all the input.

Somebody suggested we look at the Grand Princess, ten nights out of San Francisco. The Grand is a little long in the teeth but was renovated in 2013.

Love San Fran; good chance to spend a few days there or even fly into LAX and drive up the coast. Turns the ten days into a fourteen albeit not on a ship.

A lot of sea days spent not seeing Alaska.

I like this plan. You love SF and that is kind of a bonus to Alaska trip. The 7 night cruise and extra day before and after were enough for me.

Many on our ship started on the 7 night northbound in Vancouver and stayed on for the 7 night return with the same ports in reverse. Several do that every year for the last ten plus years.

I can't imagine that. We enjoyed Alaska 4 years ago but have no interest in repeating. We love warm sandy beaches and could cruise to them a few times every year.

The fact you have thought about Alaska but chose Europe so many times tells me you're not sure about it. Do the shorter one as a preview and see if you want to return.

I have heard princess and HAL are best for Alaska.

There is a third option: Princess. They have the same rights to Glacier Bay as HAL but a much stricter smoking policy, and they also have a thorough chain of lodges in the interior [although you can do that yourself if you are willing to rent a car]. Spend a week doing the land portion, with several days in the Denali area to maximize your chances of seeing the mountain when it is "out," then take the train from Anchorage to Whittier [you can check your luggage direct with Princess at the Anchorage train station even if not on a Princess land tour], take a Prince William Sound small-boat glacier cruise in the afternoon of embarkation day, then your 7-day southbound Voyage of the Glaciers to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, and end in Vancouver. We did this in 2013 and had a wonderful trip [see link in signature below].

As HAL regulars I'm biased, but 14 days vs 7 is a no-brainer. I think you'll really enjoy HAL regardless of the deal. The biggest complaint I've heard re: Celebrity vs HAL was HAL's allowance of smoking on verandas which went away with the new smoking policy 6 weeks ago.

Edited by blizzardboy

We did the HAL 14-day in late August and it was one of the best cruises we've ever had (out of 30+). We are also at Elite level on Celebrity and sail both lines most years, but I felt at the end this had turned out to be the right choice for Alaska.

Agree with the comments about Homer and Kodiak. The smaller ships have a feeling of coziness that I love, and the crew's service was wonderful. Being on board for 14 days allowed for a more leisurely experience. Some additional pluses for me were

- sailing in and out of Seattle -lots to see and do.

- full promenade deck, and there is a lot of great scenery on that cruise.

- HAL’s Captain opened the large bow area to passengers on glacier days, where stewards served hot Dutch pea soup.

For input into a shorter cruise on X, there was a very detailed review you might find helpful here on the X forum of a young couple's 7-cruise in late August out of Alaska, I think roundtrip Seattle on Solstice. IIFC they were in a Sky Suite.

I'd say HAL and 14 days. We definitely like HAL for Alaska, and the 14 days is far preferable to 7.

When you are in Alaska, consider renting a car and doing some exploring on your own. It's just like driving anyplace else in the U.S., and you can save a lot of money compared to a cruise ship tour--and you get the advantage of doing what you want to do. In Denali, no one is allowed to drive on park roads but the little school-bus type busses the park authorizes. We did the ship's tour and discovered the park buses for a tiny fraction of the cost do EXACTLY the same thing: they all stop for animals; they all radio each other if there is an animal sighting and try to get to the spot before the animal moves on; they all stop long enough for everyone to get pictures. They are exactly the same.

One tip, though, opt for the 8 hour trip into Denali (or longer), not the short one. The short one doesn't get to where the animals are before it turns around and heads back.

Edited by Pstreet12