Suite afternoon tea service.....

chemmo

We have always enjoyed our in suite afternoon tea service...we only ever choose a couple of bites to enjoy on the balcony with our cup of tea but it has provided us with a touch of elegance and pleasure.

We are dismayed by reports that on some ships afternoon tea is now in Michael's Club....We love Michael's Club events and have enjoyed afternoon tea there once per cruise but on a daily basis our beautiful room and balcony is where we enjoy afternoon tea....

Celebrity, please can you confirm what the plan is? Are you just trying out a few different ideas or is this going to be a fleet wide change?

Thanks Jenna...As I said in the initial post that resulted in me starting this one I know that the butler will sort something out for us and we have previously requested kettles no problem.

I guess we will find out over the next month or two what is happening! To be honest even if Celebrity responds positively or negative it does not necessarily imply it will be so on all ships! I do think one of the things that does frustrate suite guests at times is the uncertainty about some services.....

One thing that does surprise me is that with all the surveys we have completed since the 'suite life' was introduced (not just the post cruise ones, others requested by email...) we have never been asked to complete one specifically about suite perks we value....

Also, for all I know it could be that there has been poor take up for afternoon tea on some cruises and positive feedback re the afternoon tea in Michael's Club which we have experienced once or twice per cruise...

I am all for Celebrity to positively respond to improve the experience....it is just nice to board knowing what to expect.

Continuing to follow and enjoy your travels, Jenna!

I agree with Chemmo that we would not bother to change and go down to Michael's Club for tea in the afternoon - not even the once or twice that she would.

This is the time, even in most ports, when we would be in our suite or on our balcony relaxing and reading. I do not drink tea or coffee and we may not always take something to eat but really appreciate the opportunity to decide depending on our plans for the evening, how hungry we are (OK, peckish, how can you be hungry on a cruise ship) and how tempting the current day's treats are. My husband will almost invariably have tea - and enjoys that our butler will always know exactly how he likes it.

It is also the time one of the contact times with our butler. Unless a matter is urgent (when, of course, we would ring him) we know that we can pass on a message or ask about something at that time.

If we had to ring for room service, we just would not do it. He (or I) would make his tea. We would forgo the treat. And it would all be just a little less special. In the grand scheme of things, not a disaster but we choose to cruise the way we do because we are buying the experience. Too many "little less specials" and we may as well not bother anymore.

For us we are happy with this change. Much easier to fit in afternoon tea when we want it rather than when the butler calls. Maybe we look for different things when we cruise on a suite, we don't really use the butler and don't look for extra specials though.

We have just returned from 34 nights on Azamara, even with our great big balcony and a brilliant butler we only had afternoon tea in the suite once. We much preferred meeting others at one of the venues it is shared and enjoying together there.

We really enjoy our afternoon tea in the cabin. Wouldn't want to make the effort of going to Michaels club daily and I then think they would decide not enough people going there so would end up phasing it out completely.

Also a nice chance to have a chat with the butler.

We returned from The Reflection last week. The first full day our Butler brought the "treats" and asked if we preferred to have them delivered to our Stateroom or go to Michaels Club. We preferred Michaels Club since we rarely eat them with so much food everywhere and didn't want another intrusion while in our Cabin. We had on of the best butlers on this cruise. His name is Vishnu.

We probably would not make the effort to go to MC for afternoon tea. We don't always select something from the tea cart, especially as the cruise goes on, but like the opportunity if something catches our fancy. The one thing I always request though is an afternoon cappuccino or latte when the butler has finished the tea service. I'll continue to do that and may ask for a cookie to go with it.

Just off Equinox last week in a CS where we had the BEST butler we have ever had, Emir!

We never received afternoon tea, but then we didn't on the Reflection TA this past spring either in a CS.

At some point during both cruises I "realized" we hadn't had this service but we also never missed it....probably because there is always such an excess of food on a ship that I can not think of any time over 25 cruises that we were actually "hungry" mid afternoon....when we would receive this service in the past we would invariably grab a cookie or two and a cup of coffee or tea but usually the cookies went uneaten....truly we don't miss the "perk" at all. But that's just us.

Doubtful we would ever go to Michael's for tea either.....

We returned from The Reflection last week. The first full day our Butler brought the "treats" and asked if we preferred to have them delivered to our Stateroom or go to Michaels Club. We preferred Michaels Club since we rarely eat them with so much food everywhere and didn't want another intrusion while in our Cabin. We had on of the best butlers on this cruise. His name is Vishnu.

Reading this post makes me realize that I may have created some confusion on the other thread on this subject.

We cruised in a suite on the recent Reflection TA. Our butler informed us that the normal afternoon tea where they delivery snacks and tea from a cart to your cabin has been replaced by an everyday afternoon tea in the Michael's Club. We did attend one day after a shore excursion and there were a lot of nice choices.

They do still delivery the plate of snacks in the afternoon if you want them. They seem to be the same as the ones used for Aqua Class. Our friends stayng in an Aqua Class cabin arranged for a shrimp cocktail each day.

NYDee, I wonder if this is the "treats" that you are referencing?

I believe it is the snack selection and tea from the the cart that is being eliminated as a standard option. I am convinced if requested the butler can delivery you snacks and tea each day upon request.

Edited by jagoffee

Reading this post makes me realize that I may have created some confusion on the other thread on this subject.

We cruised in a suite on the recent Reflection TA. Our butler informed us that the normal afternoon tea where they delivery snacks and tea from a cart to your cabin has been replaced by an everyday afternoon tea in the Michael's Club. We did attend one day after a shore excursion and there were a lot of nice choices.

They do still delivery the plate of snacks in the afternoon if you want them. They seem to be the same as the ones used for Aqua Class. Our friends stayng in an Aqua Class cabin arranged for a shrimp cocktail each day.

NYDee, I wonder if this is the "treats" that you are referencing?

I believe it is the snack selection and tea from the the cart that is being eliminated as a standard option. I am convinced if requested the butler can delivery you snacks and tea each day upon request.

I am onboard the Equnox in an RS right now. I can confirm the above per the butler and Michael's Concierge. Tea from 3-4pm in Michael's is now fleet wide. Afternoon snacks (canapés, shrimp cocktail, cheese plate) can still be delivered in the 5-6pm timeframe for all suites.

I am onboard the Equnox in an RS right now. I can confirm the above per the butler and Michael's Concierge. Tea from 3-4pm in Michael's is now fleet wide. Afternoon snacks (canapés, shrimp cocktail, cheese plate) can still be delivered in the 5-6pm timeframe for all suites.

Excellent thanks for the update.

It's nice if you just fancy a cup of tea and a biscuit/cookie without the temptation of scones, cream and cake that would be available if you go to Michael'a club for the "full works". Also it's not an intrusion if you just put your do not disturb sign on. It was also nice if you are 'out' to return to the

Cabin with a light snack when you are maybe not eating until 8.30 pm, which our last butler did after getting to know us. I think it is also nice to have that 'bonding' time with your butler.

I agree with Chemmo that we would not bother to change and go down to Michael's Club for tea in the afternoon - not even the once or twice that she would.

This is the time, even in most ports, when we would be in our suite or on our balcony relaxing and reading. I do not drink tea or coffee and we may not always take something to eat but really appreciate the opportunity to decide depending on our plans for the evening, how hungry we are (OK, peckish, how can you be hungry on a cruise ship) and how tempting the current day's treats are. My husband will almost invariably have tea - and enjoys that our butler will always know exactly how he likes it.

It is also the time one of the contact times with our butler. Unless a matter is urgent (when, of course, we would ring him) we know that we can pass on a message or ask about something at that time.

If we had to ring for room service, we just would not do it. He (or I) would make his tea. We would forgo the treat. And it would all be just a little less special. In the grand scheme of things, not a disaster but we choose to cruise the way we do because we are buying the experience. Too many "little less specials" and we may as well not bother anymore.

You have articulated very well how I feel about it.

Add us to the list of those who will miss the afternoon tea delivery service by our butler. As another poster stated, it will just make the cruise a little less special for us. I doubt we will make the effort to go down to Michael's at the designated time, but we did enjoy having a nice choice appear at our door with a smile in the late afternoon. Unless the canapés have improved, we won't be bothering with them either. I guess the numbers will determine of this continues --- if hardly anyone goes to Michael's, it won't continue.

Well said! A little thing that added to the "suite life".

I agree. We are pretty low maintenance so the afternoon tea service was a time to chat with the butler and make little requests and ask questions.

We often take a little nap in the afternoon so waking up and having a cup of tea in our robes was a sweet luxury. I don't think we would call to ask for tea.

We have been to the tea in Michael's when it was done once during the cruise - it was a lovely treat, but not something we would do every day.

We left the Solstice less than a month ago after spending 30+ days onboard. Our butler had told us of the upcoming change in the afternoon tea service. He also told me that, at least on the Solstice, they would be keeping the tea carts onboard for the time being. While he was speaking I was thinking that this change is a cut in service, another cost cutting measure, that there would be a great number of complaints and that it was a good idea to keep those tea carts as they would likely be in use again. But when this change was discussed one evening in Michael's Club I found that a number of others didn't see this change as a negative in the suite experience. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Thanks to those presently or recently on board for relating your experiences and others for your opinions....It seems that many of us have enjoyed and will now miss this service.

Totally agree with the comments from several that it was also a good opportunity to speak to the butler about other issues or requests...

I do not recollect ever being asked by Celebrity about which suite perks are important to me and we always fill in every survey. It just seems so sad they have got rid of something that was valued by many guests....I am also concerned for the butlers workload if they are rescheduled to Michael's Club or elsewhere and then suite guests are wanting delivery to their room of tea or coffee....as Project gal said many of us simply would not bother...

i do understand that some guests prefer afternoon tea in Michael's, that is fine, I just don't understand why you cannot be given the option ...A couple of butlers could help serve in Michael's Club and the rest could continue the cart service....

Just returned from the 7 November 2016 sailing of Celebrity Equinox. Our butler advised that the tea service would occur in Michaels Club; however, we still would (and did) receive daily canapés each afternoon (delivered between 4:30 - 5:00). (Note: we were in an S1 - not sure if that matters.)

Hope this helps.

Just returned from the 7 November 2016 sailing of Celebrity Equinox. Our butler advised that the tea service would occur in Michaels Club; however, we still would (and did) receive daily canapés each afternoon (delivered between 4:30 - 5:00). (Note: we were in an S1 - not sure if that matters.)

Hope this helps.

On the same sailing in an S2 sky suite. Our butler told us about tea in Michaels Club. He still brought us canapés every day between 3:00 and 4:30 pm. And he brought me a pitcher of iced tea every day! Felix was the best butler we ever had and he is on his last cruise now and retiring from cruise business!

On the same sailing in an S2 sky suite. Our butler told us about tea in Michaels Club. He still brought us canapés every day between 3:00 and 4:30 pm. And he brought me a pitcher of iced tea every day! Felix was the best butler we ever had and he is on his last cruise now and retiring from cruise business!

Agree - Felix was GREAT. He is heading to Las Vegas. From what we understand, a passenger recognized he talents and offered him a job that he accepted.