Dinner with Senior Officers

What Celebrity officer is it? Capt Stubing? :D

Anyways, if I were invited to the Capt's table, I would probably go, but I doubt I will ever be invited.

But I would never pay for it.

Edited by reedl

What Celebrity officer is it? Capt Stubing? :D

Anyways, if I were invited to the Capt's table, I would probably go, but I doubt I will ever be invited.

But I would never pay for it.

You never know! We were surprised to get the invite when it came in Windstar. As I mentioned earlier, we were in the least expensive cabin. We didn't get an invite while on Royal in the biggest suite in the ship, and figured if one would ever come it would be for that cruise. So you just never know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, but this is crazy. Sort of ruins the "spirit" of the traditional being invited to the Captain's table on a ship. I wonder how the officers feel about being "sold" for entertainment purposes? This just feels wrong! You will never see me or my family pay for the "services" of an officer at dinner. Royal -- what are you thinking?? Katherine

We've never been invited to dine with the Captain in the MDR but have 'dined' with them and/or various officers in the WJ, we usually spot them in there and they have been happy to pass a moment or two and even once posed for a photo - when they were on the way out, wouldn't dream of approaching while they were seated or eating. :p

You know, I've been thinking about it and I have a revelation.

99% of the guests on board will never have the opportunity to do this via regular channels. The fee for the dinner is about the same as the typical wine dinner at Giovani's. This could just be a way to allow ordinary folks to experience the dinner. If it was free, the number of takers could be overwhelming.

Just my two cents

99% of the guests on board will never have the opportunity to do this via regular channels. The fee for the dinner is about the same as the typical wine dinner at Giovani's. This could just be a way to allow ordinary folks to experience the dinner. If it was free, the number of takers could be overwhelming.

Just my two cents

Well not really John, but you make a good point...K.O.:)

Just my two cents

I'm still wondering why this would be exciting or special though. So...they sail the ship, I don't get how that makes them any kind of interesting celebrity. 99% of people will never get to do it, but 99% probably don't care. I'm not interested in having dinner with the pilot of my plane, or the driver of my taxi. To me it's the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this on all ships or only on RA?

90f9abcf5b1b17cabfb1794f753cb50b.jpg

Sent from my R1 HD using Forums mobile app

Nope, never have seen this, and we were on Radiance in September. I would be interested to know the definition of "senior officer" for the purpose of this dinner. Some people who pay for this are bound to be disappointed.

Just my opinion, but this is crazy. Sort of ruins the "spirit" of the traditional being invited to the Captain's table on a ship. I wonder how the officers feel about being "sold" for entertainment purposes? This just feels wrong! You will never see me or my family pay for the "services" of an officer at dinner. Royal -- what are you thinking?? Katherine

Another revenue enhancement, but this one is particularly tacky, I agree.

I'm still wondering why this would be exciting or special though. So...they sail the ship, I don't get how that makes them any kind of interesting celebrity. 99% of people will never get to do it, but 99% probably don't care. I'm not interested in having dinner with the pilot of my plane, or the driver of my taxi. To me it's the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even if it just 1%, think it's higher, the wine dinner at Givoni's is more than that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We've never been seated with any officer on RCCL. Do I understand this correctly, you have to pay to have dinner with the Capt, why? We've been seated with officers on Disney's cruise lines, it was fun, they buy you bottles of wine, you don't pay.

We've never been seated with any officer on RCCL. Do I understand this correctly, you have to pay to have dinner with the Capt, why? We've been seated with officers on Disney's cruise lines, it was fun, they buy you bottles of wine, you don't pay.

Normally a guest does not pay if invited to dinner with an officer on RC. What was shown in previous posts is something new to me.

Anything to get us to pay for more. I agree it does ruin the spirit of the tradition. Next they will be charging us for the shows.

Anything to get us to pay for more. I agree it does ruin the spirit of the tradition. Next they will be charging us for the shows.

Just to be clear, nowhere does it say on that signboard that dinner would be with the Captain, only with senior officers. My guess is that it would not, but anything goes, these days. :eek:

Just to be clear, nowhere does it say on that signboard that dinner would be with the Captain, only with senior officers. My guess is that it would not, but anything goes, these days. :eek:

I can see the complaints now when guests get seated with the senior officer in charge of pool towels.:eek: Who knows who you will be dining with. (Probably the officer that drew the short stick at the morning staff meeting)

I can see the complaints now when guests get seated with the senior officer in charge of pool towels.:eek: Who knows who you will be dining with. (Probably the officer that drew the short stick at the morning staff meeting)

As long as he/she is wearing a white shirt it shouldn't matter.

Years ago we were invited to sit with the captain and senior officers although we never did know why we were invited. The dinner was pleasant and we had a nice photo to take home, but I can't imagine why so many people think this is a big deal and I certainly would never pay for it.

One cruise the concierge was walking around the lounge (don't remember which ship or lounge) trying to find people to sit at the Captain's table. We declined because it was at 8:30 and we don't like to eat that late. It just didn't sound that exciting. He had trouble filling the table.

Just my two cents

"ordinary folks"? What do you call the others? :rolleyes:

We were invited to dine at the captain's table with the staff captain. We met the captain a few days earlier and received an invitation. It was our first cruise ever and we were in a standard balcony. We didn't even know they did this. So I guess ordinary people get invitations also.

BTW, I would never pay for this.

Edited by ReneeFLL

"ordinary folks"? What do you call the others? :rolleyes:

We were invited to dine at the captain's table with the staff captain. We met the captain a few days earlier and received an invitation. It was our first cruise ever and we were in a standard balcony. We didn't even know they did this. So I guess ordinary people get invitations also.

BTW, I would never pay for this.

I take it your hubby was a navy officer, or maybe a Chief, that takes you out of ordinary category. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

I take it your hubby was a navy officer, or maybe a Chief, that takes you out of ordinary category. 😉

A retired Navy Captain and now a pilot for American which I don't see why that matters. I also still don't understand the "ordinary people" comment.