Too Many Employees leaving at Celebrity??

cruiseerf

We sail on Celebrity about 50+days per year. Over time we have met Many wonderful people. Bartenders, Michaels Club hosts, Waiters etc.

As of late, I sat down to inquire about several of these people and they have all left the company? All of them. The only thing they had similar was they were all European based. On our last cruise....We had Bogdan and Romini and in the middle of the Cruise, apparently mid contract Romini signed off and quit? But she is one of many, Anca from Michaels club has also left the company I was told.... I understand there are high levels of attrition and that ship life is tough, however lately I am hearing more and more complaints from Employees who have left already about how things are getting "Worse" at Celebrity.....

One of the reasons we sail and are loyal to Celebrity is their excellent staff, as more and more start to go or don't see any future in the company, I am saddened by this.

Celebrity needs to work on their HR......Just my opinion....

Happy sails to all!

I think you will find that this situation is not unique to Celebrity especially when 3rd world personnel are involved. They work long days and are away from their families for long periods of time. My observation is that some crew members seem to get ashore relatively easily whilst others especially people like cabin attendants get ashore not that often. I believe with only one attendant now per cabin they will get ashore even less. With two people although a greater number of cabins someone could cover for another. I haven't mentioned pay as it is a touchy subject and there are many versions how a crew member in the hospitality sector on board ships gets paid.

We have a slightly different experience. Of the waiters we had on our first cruise on Celebrity almost 5 years ago 3 of the 4 are still working for Celebrity the one that left is married to an officer and is now at home raising their children.

We seem to keep encountering the same bartenders often on different ships and working different bars than when we met them. Same for cabin attendants; it is always fun to run into crew members from our previous cruises.

Every business has turnover and with the time away from family that is required when working on a ship it is to be expected.

On a trip this year, a bartender and I spoke often when no other customers around. He said life on board is like living in a jail. Biggest complaint was when they did get home many found girl friends gone or wife's cheating. He also hinted that many more crew members go missing. Only the passengers that go missing make the news. Sad

I'm not concerned about the turn over and how it will effect service. We sail on different lines and years go by in between cruises. I have never had a problem with service. I'm sure those who sail a few times in a year really get to know the staff and perhaps the thought of not seeing the same familiar faces is a let down more than the presence of poor service. This job is a stepping stone for people who don't have opportunities for a career at home. They gain training and work experience through a reputable company and hopefully move on to bigger and better things. Perhaps they take their experience to land resorts where they don't have to be away from home for long periods of time. I had a friend who was a purser for a cruise line. He lasted two years and moved on to a career where he arranges convention events and travel for business executives.

I sat down to inquire about several of these people and they have all left the company? All of them.

Who exactly told you all of this?

Staff usually work n a 9 month contract and then leave for 3 months to go home to family before

signing a new contract.

Edited by El Crucero

Staff usually work n a 9 month contract and then leave for 3 months to go home to family before

signing a new contract.

I also heard of this. Some also gets back to another ship, or maybe another cruise line.

Edited by easyboy

signing a new contract.

On Celebrity contracts are 7 months with a break of several weeks. Many go to different ships within the same cruise line and may get promoted as a direct result of the end of cruise report. Whatever their reason for leaving they provide fabulous service whilst they are on board

The OPENING is saying: they have LEFT,not on break,or leave,why are you guys changing the "subject"...I am aware that Anca,mentioned in opening, has LEFT the company e.g VERY VERY SADLY,as far as I am concerned,she was "precious".

We sail on Celebrity about 50+days per year. Over time we have met Many wonderful people. Bartenders, Michaels Club hosts, Waiters etc.

As of late, I sat down to inquire about several of these people and they have all left the company? All of them. The only thing they had similar was they were all European based. On our last cruise....We had Bogdan and Romini and in the middle of the Cruise, apparently mid contract Romini signed off and quit? But she is one of many, Anca from Michaels club has also left the company I was told.... I understand there are high levels of attrition and that ship life is tough, however lately I am hearing more and more complaints from Employees who have left already about how things are getting "Worse" at Celebrity.....

One of the reasons we sail and are loyal to Celebrity is their excellent staff, as more and more start to go or don't see any future in the company, I am saddened by this.

Happy sails to all!

Just off the Equinox TA two weeks ago and we found just the opposite....so many long term X employees, and a truly excellent staff in all areas. We encountered several that we had met on other X ships in the last few years....

Hopefully you aren't correct and that our experience is more the norm.

You have to know the specifics of each case before you can draw any conclusions. I know the stories in some of the people mentioned and they left for purely private reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with Celebrity. In fact one of the people named told me that they love working for Celebrity.

One also needs to look at the numbers of people who left and then returned.

Many crew come on to achieve a fixed goal - pay for a house deposit, fund some education, save to start a business etc then go back home so turnover amongst some of the more ambitious is inevitable. Alternatively ambitious staff leave because those above them are not leaving but they want to get on up the ladder so seek to achieve that elsewhere.

The nationality distribution changes for many reasons, in recent years less Caribbean and more Eastern Europeans. Many land based businesses are finding Eastern Europeans are going back home because as things change in their countries at the same time as a decline in Western economies, the economic advantage of working away has drastically reduced.

All these are perfectly valid reasons for turnover.

Without knowing specifics we are probably hasty to jump to the view that Celebrity is not a happy ship.

You have to know the specifics of each case before you can draw any conclusions. I know the stories in some of the people mentioned and they left for purely private reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with Celebrity. In fact one of the people named told me that they love working for Celebrity.

One also needs to look at the numbers of people who left and then returned.

I agree. While you certainly may miss a memorable staff member, it is probably incorrect to assume they left for a negative reason. Consider that there are an infinite number of positive personal, career and even pre-planned reasons for a favourite staff member to move on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many crew come on to achieve a fixed goal - pay for a house deposit, fund some education, save to start a business etc then go back home so turnover amongst some of the more ambitious is inevitable. Alternatively ambitious staff leave because those above them are not leaving but they want to get on up the ladder so seek to achieve that elsewhere.

The nationality distribution changes for many reasons, in recent years less Caribbean and more Eastern Europeans. Many land based businesses are finding Eastern Europeans are going back home because as things change in their countries at the same time as a decline in Western economies, the economic advantage of working away has drastically reduced.

All these are perfectly valid reasons for turnover.

Without knowing specifics we are probably hasty to jump to the view that Celebrity is not a happy ship.

Totally agree...we have spoken with staff who take cruise posts as a temporary (one year, two year, five year....) plan. Reasons explained to us range from 'improving my English to get a hotel reception job in Manila' to 'buying into a restaurant business' to 'paying of my debts'....

We tend to cruise every 6 to 12 months and have met staff we know but not always on the same ship....To meet up with the same staff regularly you need a group of coincidences...they are still with Celebrity, they are still assigned to the same ship, they are not on vacation....

Edited by chemmo

Happy sails to all!

What do you expect them to say?

"Things are getting really great at Celebrity so I quit."

There are two sides to every story and a good HR Dept doesn't tell the world their side. My point is there could be very good, solid reasons why some staff disappear, especially mid-contract. If one of the reasons you sail Celebrity is their staff, please keep in mind that the same people that hired those you miss, are the ones hiring the replacements!

This is nothing new.

Our Texas born an raised Daughter after 10 cruises by the time she was 20 went to work for RCCL in 2004. First hand experience here.

There is a reason very very few From North America and Europe have longevity with a cruise line, poor work ethic. My wife has been in the Dallas Hotel industry for 15+ years, after 20+ In the restaurant business. Mgt from one business will recruit during a meal at another. Staffing is a major issue in Dallas restaurants.

On the Equinox in 2014, first dinner I notice our waiter had on a special watch, it is given for 20 years of service with Celebrity. Thru the course of conversation he sighed a few times and said his was a dying breed as the 'kids' they were hiring would never reach this length of service.

They do good thru a couple contracts, but then get full of themselves and don't feel the need to maintain a high level of service.

This fits with many comments on Cruise Critic over the past couple of years that the attention to detail is lacking Cruise after Cruise.

1. We did a Viking River Cruise this summer. All staff were experienced from other ocean lines who found work much closer to their European homes.

2. Celebrity now has a max 3 tour per ship. We will now see staff moving to other ships or other companies if they don't care for their assignment.

3. I worked for same company for 34 years. My children have changed jobs often as a means of advancement. I believe job churn is here for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2. Celebrity now has a max 3 tour per ship. We will now see staff moving to other ships or other companies if they don't care for their assignment.

Where did you get this idea? Our butler on our cruise just ended two weeks was on his 4th or 5th tour and was planning on returning again after his vacation which starts next month. Also the maitre'd had been on the same ship for more than three tours......

Where did you get this idea? Our butler on our cruise just ended two weeks was on his 4th or 5th tour and was planning on returning again after his vacation which starts next month. Also the maitre'd had been on the same ship for more than three tours......

We were on nov 05 Reflection cruise and were told by several staff members of the "new" three contract limit. I have no idea how far up or down the staff this limit applies.

He said limit of 3 tours on the same ship, as in a row. 3 in a row on the same ship would actually be rather unusual on cruise lines. On most cruise line crew more likely to change ships every tour.

Employees come and go. No different than any other business.

In the service industry 20% annual turn over is not unusual. In addition to the long tours away from home, crew members will also encounter the same issues that people do working on shore. These include, supervisors they don't get long with, changes in assignment, changes in policy, friends leaving making the job seem less enjoyable, etc.

It is amazing that turn over is as low as it is on cruise ships.

He said limit of 3 tours on the same ship, as in a row. 3 in a row on the same ship would actually be rather unusual on cruise lines. On most cruise line crew more likely to change ships every tour.

I don't know we've run into quite a few that have stayed on the same ship for many tours. Also know many that switched ships. It's really dependent on what ship has needs when a crew members vacation is over. I know that several we spoke to that were getting ready to go on vacation after the TA already had their next assignment and the date they would report, some were to be back on Equinox some weren't.... I think it's far more about where the "need" lies than how many in a row one has done on any given ship.

I don't know we've run into quite a few that have stayed on the same ship for many tours. Also know many that switched ships. It's really dependent on what ship has needs when a crew members vacation is over. I know that several we spoke to that were getting ready to go on vacation after the TA already had their next assignment and the date they would report, some were to be back on Equinox some weren't.... I think it's far more about where the "need" lies than how many in a row one has done on any given ship.

That is exactly the point, the more ships you have the less chance you will return to the same ship. For the more senior positions it would seem to be even more unusual, since the length of their time off would be far less then a normal tour. So for them to return to the same ship the person that replaced them would have far less then a normal length tour.

Also moving people between ships would result in a more consistent experience across the fleet. Which is why a cruise might want to limit the number of consecutive tours someone might have on the same ship, especially for managers and above.

Edited by RDC1

I have met some really nice employees on cruise ships and have been invited to come to see them or stay with them if in their country while they are home. To worry about whether they leave or stay for a reason is ridiculous. Too much is/or seems to be directed or implied that the cruise lines may be running sweat shops and not treating the employees fairly. Employee turn over is not cruisers business, employees in all service jobs move/leave.

Over the years I heard some strange stories form crew members and sometimes I have felt, I should tip more, and some times I do, based on service, but not because of a hard luck story. Remember that in the next week or two, they will have a new group, you will MOST LIKELY be forgotten unless you cruise the same ship OFTEN, and yes many do, and I have resembled that remark.