Celebrity Edge - First Cut of Steel

CruisingChick

Am I the only one who hates the names? I know it goes with the whole "see the world" marketing push, but I dislike going away from the celestial stuff.

Also Celebrity Beyond makes me think we'll also see a Celebrity Into Darkness or Celebrity III: The Search for Captain Kate.

It's just a name, she won't be less good or something. Oh wait, the French will build her he? Hmm.. ;)

It's just a name, she won't be less good or something. Oh wait, the French will build her he? Hmm.. ;)

It's probably just a function of me being a space nerd. I loved the names Horizon, Zenith, Meridian, and Galaxy.

I'm sure they'll be great ships. I was just hoping for a new Horizon. Edge is okay, but Beyond is...meh.

squared off bow? That looks strange. More like a ferry boat than a cruise ship.

(Cutting) EDGE.... Squared off bow..... I remember reading many years ago that cruise ships would one day be made with catamaran styled hulls. More fuel efficient they said... so could the profile show be a catamaran?

>

Edited by Ox Fan Cruiser

I've been highly anticipating anything on the Edge Class from one of my favorite cruise lines. I have no doubt that they will be exciting, innovative, and interesting ships. Lets just hope they don't get too crazy, and leave the really over the top stuff for Royal Caribbean.

I don't think her silhouette looks very attractive, but it's whats inside that counts. Just remember when you sail on her you don't have to look at her! :) Sort of how I feel when I sail on NORWEGIAN EPIC. Talk about a hideous ship on the exterior.

More so than the bow design, which we are seeing more and more of, I'm interested in what the large box is right up top and center. It certainly doesn't help with her appearance, but could be something quite interesting.

As an old time poster who did not like Celebrity, used to say, Celebrity names all their ships after cars. They continue that with the Edge although I'm hard pressed to find a Beyond.

Hey Don. We have a Ford Edge. I never made the connection before wit the cars. I always thought the ships were named for astronautical/geophysical phenomena until they decided to diversify. Interesting. Was there a car named Meridian? I can certainly think of additional car and astronomical terms: Fusion, A4 (why not? Apple named a chip after it), Perihelion, Precession, Solar Wind, Black Hole ...;)...:D

Hey Don. We have a Ford Edge. I never made the connection before wit the cars. I always thought the ships were named for astronautical/geophysical phenomena until they decided to diversify. Interesting. Was there a car named Meridian? I can certainly think of additional car and astronomical terms: Fusion, A4 (why not? Apple named a chip after it), Perihelion, Precession, Solar Wind, Black Hole ...;)...:D

Hi Emil:

Daughter has a Ford Edge also, I believe the Meridian was a Chrysler product but there definitely was one, I'm sure someone will correct me.

This goes back about 20 years on this board when it was under AOL and a certain poster made the comment about the cars largely because he could not find anything good with Celebrity. This was during the heyday of the Michel Roux era so he really had to reach for this one. We always teased each other about the remark but since the beginning he has been technically correct.

Have a great Thanksgiving...

... I believe the Meridian was a Chrysler product but there definitely was one, I'm sure someone will correct me....

Can't find a car named Meridian on Google search, but Horizon was Plymouth product. It certainly wasn't something to be proud of. ;)

After BEYOND, maybe the next two will be BED and BATH? :D

Edited by sloopsailor