Princess Diamond doesn't meet the basics

golf mom

Maybe even a bit dowdy?

Maybe a little but I'd rather have a Princess cabin, where I've never heard any noise from adjacent cabins in four cruises on three different ships, than a Celebrity cabin where loud voices, laughter, and TV sound, from adjacent cabins was very apparent. Also the sound of people (kids?) running in the corridors on both our deck and the deck above. I'm packing ear plugs for our next Celebrity cruise.

Still dont understand why on most ships the public areas are so cold and the cabin temps are hotter.

The public areas are cold when relatively empty because the air-con is set to counteract the body temperatures of a full house or the equivalent in that area. Otherwise as soon as the theatre, Vista Lounge, or where-ever started filling up it would quickly become too hot.

I'm very sensitive to overwarm cabins but so far have always been able to set the air-con to a cold enough temperature (usually maximum cold) to ensure a good night's sleep.

The public areas are cold when relatively empty because the air-con is set to counteract the body temperatures of a full house or the equivalent in that area. Otherwise as soon as the theatre, Vista Lounge, or where-ever started filling up it would quickly become too hot.

I'm very sensitive to overwarm cabins but so far have always been able to set the air-con to a cold enough temperature (usually maximum cold) to ensure a good night's sleep.

Just completed my 1st cruise aboard the Golden Princess. Since having chemotherapy for Breast Cancer, my personal thermostat is haywire-hot to cold to hot to shivering and any combination! I managed very nicely just with the duvet/doona and sheet using a short-sleeved nightie, never felt the need of an extra blanket at all! And never touched the air conditioning controls-for me it was Just Right! :D

I had more annoyance from noise-but knew VERY well I was tired and oversensitive-to the noise of to the band in the Atrium. So I got what cookies I wanted from the International Café and returned to my Window Suite to enjoy a snack in peace and quiet.The pianist in the evening was really good-I remember the Piano Man played on several nights, and he got the audience singing along! :D Seemed to be a good crowd sitting and listening to him-don't remember the deck though.

All the staff were eager to help when needed, and some passengers also assisted especially with the lifts. Have learnt how to manage my own reactions and will be even better prepared for next year's cruise re how I'll react-that was the Big Unknown this year!

Just completed my 1st cruise aboard the Golden Princess. Since having chemotherapy for Breast Cancer, my personal thermostat is haywire-hot to cold to hot to shivering and any combination! I managed very nicely just with the duvet/doona and sheet using a short-sleeved nightie, never felt the need of an extra blanket at all! And never touched the air conditioning controls-for me it was Just Right! :D

I had more annoyance from noise-but knew VERY well I was tired and oversensitive-to the noise of to the band in the Atrium. So I got what cookies I wanted from the International Café and returned to my Window Suite to enjoy a snack in peace and quiet.The pianist in the evening was really good-I remember the Piano Man played on several nights, and he got the audience singing along! :D Seemed to be a good crowd sitting and listening to him-don't remember the deck though.

All the staff were eager to help when needed, and some passengers also assisted especially with the lifts. Have learnt how to manage my own reactions and will be even better prepared for next year's cruise re how I'll react-that was the Big Unknown this year!

Welcome back! I know you put so much time and effort into planning your adventure... Will you please write a review of your experience?

Tracie-Lynn:)

• 1 month later...
That is so far out of the norm of what we have experienced with Princess and you certainly got hit with far too many unexpected, unpleasant things. So sorry to hear that. Did Princess try to make it work for you at all? I would strongly recommend that you shoot an email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com . I am sure they would be interested in hearing about your experience and they can engage the proper departments to remedy the situation.

I also recognize your name as the one that started the roll call for the February 2018 cruise to South America. Hope you are still doing that cruise and will give Princess another chance.

We had a family reunion on the Diamond Princess to Asia. Difficulty boarding and standards not up to previous cruises. Dining staff advised against eating beef and they were right meat was tough. Staff tried to be accommodating and brought out other dishes. Error was made by Princess Cruise lines as they were not up to date on China visa information. It cost us several thousand dollars . We went to the Chinese embassy in Beijing and received a letter from the Chinese Consular advising Princess of their error. Princess cruise line wa provided with the letter and refusing to acknowledge their error and refusing to compensate for their error. Several family members were platinum and gold members and this has definitely left a bad taste.

We had a family reunion on the Diamond Princess to Asia. Difficulty boarding and standards not up to previous cruises. Dining staff advised against eating beef and they were right meat was tough. Staff tried to be accommodating and brought out other dishes. Error was made by Princess Cruise lines as they were not up to date on China visa information. It cost us several thousand dollars . We went to the Chinese embassy in Beijing and received a letter from the Chinese Consular advising Princess of their error. Princess cruise line wa provided with the letter and refusing to acknowledge their error and refusing to compensate for their error. Several family members were platinum and gold members and this has definitely left a bad taste.

I always understood that I had to be responsible for knowing my own visa requirements no matter where I travel in the world.

Terry

I always understood that I had to be responsible for knowing my own visa requirements no matter where I travel in the world.

Terry

That's a great attitude and I'm sure most people would agree.

The question is what would your position be when Princess insists that specific expensive Visas and/or documentation is required, and then you learn Princess requirements are wrong?

People have spent some significant $$ on Visas at the insistence of Princess only to learn Princess is working with incorrect information.

If Princess insists the incorrect documentation be obtained are they then responsible for making the Customer whole?

So important to do own research and contact relevant embassies, consular offices. In Australia the government has a web page with relevant information. I am sure US govt would have something similar. Have you been in contact with Princess head office.

Diamond Princess as a ship, loved it both times, Regal no problem with noise from adjoining cabins.

I'm on Diamond right now. Maybe my expectations were lowered but I'm happy with her.

I sail on her in a couple of weeks. I would love to hear any detailed impressions that you have.

I hope you are having a lovely cruise!

Tracie-Lynn

Edited by TracieABD

I sail on her in a couple of weeks. I would love to hear any detailed impressions that you have.

Tracie-Lynn

I really enjoy your live reviews. I hope u are doing one for the Diamond. We will be on her in March, 2018. I know u will give a fair account of the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm on Diamond right now. Maybe my expectations were lowered but I'm happy with her.

That's great to hear.

I'm onboard in February.

If it's not too much trouble can you ask if they still provide shuttles at the following ports:

1. Port Klang to the AEON mall;

2. Laem Chabang to Pattaya;

3. Phu My to Ba Ria;

4. Sihanoukville to town market.

Also, are they currently tendering to Patong when at Phuket.

Many thanks, and have a great cruise.

Edited by Tranquility Base

Tracie-Lynn

We are enjoying the food. The crew are very helpful and friendly. We had a great joke this morning with the buffet crew about Suzie the snowflake as Muzak. Hope the Carols stop tomorrow though. Haven't noticed any bothersome wear and tear at all. Our cabin is great - mini on Emerald. Being looked after well but we aren't cranky travellers anyway. Cooling is fine in tropics if you keep balcony door closed and I always notice when too hot. There was a toilet overflow on Emerald the other day in another cabin and all our toilets were checked and we were fine. Haven't heard anyone complain really. Haven't done stage shows but there are some nice acts in the lounges. The string classical trio are fabulous. We did balcony dining last night which was fabulous.

Terry

weekdays did know the current visa requirements.

The problem was that Princess did not know them.

China now allows passengers on a cruise ship that only stops in China for turnaround day to disembark and go to the airport without needing an expensive visa.

Princess says you need to obtain the expensive visa.

What good is your knowing the current legal visa requirements when Princess does not know them?

Terry

weekdays did know the current visa requirements.

The problem was that Princess did not know them.

Princess says you need to obtain the expensive visa.

What good is your knowing the current legal visa requirements when Princess does not know them?

There were a topic a few months ago about this. Princess saying you needed the visa and would be denied boarding without it even though the Chinese embassy or consulate was saying you didn't.

Issues of passengers being denied boarding despite being legal to travel are not just confined to Princess. Plenty of airlines have done it as well. Most countries hold the carrier responsible when someone not legal to travel is carried so the carriers have a financial incentive to err on the side of caution.

One issue I've heard recently has to do with passport validity. Many countries require valid for six months beyond date of entry. But the Schengen countries say three months beyond planned date of exit. But some airlines (or at least some airline personnel) still insist on six months (some justifying it as, at least for U.S. citizens, you can stay up to 90 days so three months plus 90 days equals six months (give or take a day) missing that it's planned date of exit, not latest legal day of exit).

Most of the time, it's a minor inconvenience such as having to renew a passport a few months earlier than planned. But sometimes, as in this case, it can mean hundreds of dollars when a travel provider insists they're right and the country is wrong. If you're going to enforce rules, make sure you're enforcing the correct rules.

I really enjoy your live reviews. I hope u are doing one for the Diamond. We will be on her in March, 2018. I know u will give a fair account of the ship.

I have every intention of boring Ya'all with my crazy travel adventures to Southeast Asia... Stay tuned. I will probably get the thread up and running around the 12th.

We are enjoying the food. The crew are very helpful and friendly. We had a great joke this morning with the buffet crew about Suzie the snowflake as Muzak. Hope the Carols stop tomorrow though. Haven't noticed any bothersome wear and tear at all. Our cabin is great - mini on Emerald. Being looked after well but we aren't cranky travellers anyway. Cooling is fine in tropics if you keep balcony door closed and I always notice when too hot. There was a toilet overflow on Emerald the other day in another cabin and all our toilets were checked and we were fine. Haven't heard anyone complain really. Haven't done stage shows but there are some nice acts in the lounges. The string classical trio are fabulous. We did balcony dining last night which was fabulous.

Thank you so much for this. I know that you had a few reservations going into this cruise- so your positive input is extra valuable to me!

I have every intention of boring Ya'all with my crazy travel adventures to Southeast Asia... Stay tuned. I will probably get the thread up and running around the 12th.

Looking forward to it. Happy, healthy New Year,Tracie- Lynn and everyone on this thread.

Edited by Cairn Mom

China now allows passengers on a cruise ship that only stops in China for turnaround day to disembark and go to the airport without needing an expensive visa.

And what happens when Princess disembarks them in China and they don't have onward tickets?