New Cabin Key Embarkation process

joellebridgers

I know this is fairly new, but can anyone that has gone though the new cabin key embarkation process tell me how you order drinks or food on the ship without your cabin key, since the keys will be at your room and the room won't be ready when we board?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've posted my experience and thoughts in the other threads about this. But this is the place for repetitive threads and comments, so here goes...

I'm Platinum, so went straight to my cabin but saw people using their boarding pass at the lobby bar. Never heard a peep all week from anyone saying it was a problem despite the many, many "it will never work!!!!" declarations from the people who had no experience with the new method.

I've posted my experience and thoughts in the other threads about this. But this is the place for repetitive threads and comments, so here goes...

I'm Platinum, so went straight to my cabin but saw people using their boarding pass at the lobby bar.

So, to confirm, Platinum, Diamond, FttF and (I think) suite guests still receive their S&S cards at check-in, while others receive them in their room in-trays?

We'll be on Vista in October but our extended group (4 cabins) have booked FttF (or are already Platinum).

So, to confirm, Platinum, Diamond, FttF and (I think) suite guests still receive their S&S cards at check-in, while others receive them in their room in-trays?

We'll be on Vista in October but our extended group (4 cabins) have booked FttF (or are already Platinum).

I have not experience this yet, but I think those that are Priority will be able to go to their cabins right away. Their S&S cards will be in their mailboxes outside the cabin door.

I "assume" that those that are not priority but try to sneak in before 1:30 will find there "keys" are NOT in their mailbox. They'll have to turn around, go out, and wait for 1:30 when their cabin will be ready.

Edited by Sparky2

So just to clarify, this is only in effect on Splendor and Breeze, not Conquest? I board the Conquest on Dec 23 from Fort Lauderdale.

I don't think it's been expanded to Conquest yet. We're sailing her in January.

I know the trial was on Splendor & now will be on Vista.

We hated it on the Splendor. The boarding process took longer this way, and many people needed their picture re-taken because they no longer look like their ID. We finally got on board around 12:45, latest ever for group 1. It was a pain in the ass having to hold my id & boarding pass in my hand to show everyone when boarding. I prefer to just have my purse & suitcase in my hands. You can use your boarding pass to purchase a drink, but by the time we got on the ship I just decide to put my documents away & free up my hands. LOL

Never heard a peep all week from anyone saying it was a problem despite the many, many "it will never work!!!!" declarations from the people who had no experience with the new method.

So here's the thing...I could go set my wallet with my credit cards outside my home front door on my porch. Maybe someone would come find it take off with it, and have a party on my dime...or maybe not. Maybe it could sit there a week, and no one would happen upon it or do anything.

Does that mean that I am going to leave my wallet outside my door for someone to take should the mood to do so strike? No.

Does that mean its a good idea for me to leave my wallet outside my home front door where it could potentially be taken to be used? No.

And this is not a good idea too. Something tied to my credit card should not be left to potentially be compromised.

period.

So here's the thing...I could go set my wallet with my credit cards outside my home front door on my porch. Maybe someone would come find it take off with it, and have a party on my dime...or maybe not. Maybe it could sit there a week, and no one would happen upon it or do anything.

Does that mean that I am going to leave my wallet outside my door for someone to take should the mood to do so strike? No.

Does that mean its a good idea for me to leave my wallet outside my home front door where it could potentially be taken to be used? No.

And this is not a good idea too. Something tied to my credit card should not be left to potentially be compromised.

period.

As I understand it, your S&S cards are placed in a sealed envelope and put in your cabin's mailbox. If your envelope has been opened or tampered with, go to Guest Services. The cards previously made for you will be deactivated and new ones will be made for you.

Not sure how this saves time or money :confused:

Anyways, just being bluntly honest, if I encounter this process I'm going to go pick up the cards as soon as I am on the ship to:

1. Ensure that they work properly

2. Are not missing

I've seen the guest services line on boarding day and I don't want to be in it getting non-working or missing keys replaced. And if I have to do so I'd rather go as early as possible to minimize the potential for longer lines.

We were on the splendor with the new process and I didn't like it as much but not for why many people think. First of all, the cards are not tied to your credit card. They are tied to your guest account (folio). It is a subtle but important difference. If there was a erroneous charge, it would first go to your folio and it would not even touch your credit card - assuming you are not an idiot and review your folio balance at any point during your trip or even after.

Secondly, the cards don't go into the mailboxes until the end of the process. It really wasn't that big of a deal. And as others have mentioned, getting a drink was easy. Just use your paper pass.

What bothered me was the check in not being perfected yet. You know how the "old way" was that first you go through security and then to the agent counter? Well, it is all done up front in security now. Meaning many guests had to wait outside just to get through the security queue. When we arrived shortly before noon, there were half of the security area agents just sitting there waiting for their shift to start. Once we passed through and went upstairs, you see a huge waiting area and counter that was empty. Unfortunately the terminal just isn't set up for the process to run as smoothly from the guest point of view.

But, all in all, it doesn't matter. This is the new way and eventually someone will change it down the line again so we may as well just get used to it and I will prepare myself to have the possibility of standing in line in Miami in June outside, when we sail on the Vista. I don't suppose it matters much about first impressions. I wasn't a fan. But I get what I pay for.

We were on the splendor with the new process and I didn't like it as much but not for why many people think. First of all, the cards are not tied to your credit card. They are tied to your guest account (folio). It is a subtle but important difference. If there was a erroneous charge, it would first go to your folio and it would not even touch your credit card - assuming you are not an idiot and review your folio balance at any point during your trip or even after.

Secondly, the cards don't go into the mailboxes until the end of the process. It really wasn't that big of a deal. And as others have mentioned, getting a drink was easy. Just use your paper pass.

What bothered me was the check in not being perfected yet. You know how the "old way" was that first you go through security and then to the agent counter? Well, it is all done up front in security now. Meaning many guests had to wait outside just to get through the security queue. When we arrived shortly before noon, there were half of the security area agents just sitting there waiting for their shift to start. Once we passed through and went upstairs, you see a huge waiting area and counter that was empty. Unfortunately the terminal just isn't set up for the process to run as smoothly from the guest point of view.

But, all in all, it doesn't matter. This is the new way and eventually someone will change it down the line again so we may as well just get used to it and I will prepare myself to have the possibility of standing in line in Miami in June outside, when we sail on the Vista. I don't suppose it matters much about first impressions. I wasn't a fan. But I get what I pay for.

One more thing... they have a dedicated GS line for issues with the process. I paid attention to this since we were hanging out in the lobby bar and there really didn't seem to be more than 1 or 2 people at a time over there before sail away.

Not sure how this saves time or money :confused:

Anyways, just being bluntly honest, if I encounter this process I'm going to go pick up the cards as soon as I am on the ship to:

1. Ensure that they work properly

2. Are not missing

I've seen the guest services line on boarding day and I don't want to be in it getting non-working or missing keys replaced. And if I have to do so I'd rather go as early as possible to minimize the potential for longer lines.

Of course you will. Let's all do that and chant "Justified! Justified"! as we march proudly past the closed doors to the staterooms.

First of all, the cards are not tied to your credit card. They are tied to your guest account (folio). It is a subtle but important difference. If there was a erroneous charge, it would first go to your folio and it would not even touch your credit card - assuming you are not an idiot and review your folio balance at any point during your trip or even after.

i thought this was the way it always was..in all my previous cruises, my foilo account does not hit my credit card until the end of the cruise. the only thing that does hit my credit card is one of those pending holds (which usually gets removed after a few days ) that almost every store/hotel/gas station/etc does by testing the card with a few dollar charge to make sure the card is in good working condition. For example, when i hail a uber cab. Uber places a 1 dollar pending hold fee and then the cab fare. the next day, that 1 dollar holding fee comes off

Of course you will. Let's all do that and chant "Justified! Justified"! as we march proudly past the closed doors to the staterooms.

I think many people will feel like me and want to secure their keys and know that they work so they can avoid long lines later on.

This is a discussion form, please allow me to post my opinions without jumping all over me. It's a huge turn off. I haven't attacked anyones position.

I know this is fairly new, but can anyone that has gone though the new cabin key embarkation process tell me how you order drinks or food on the ship without your cabin key, since the keys will be at your room and the room won't be ready when we board?

Just use your boarding pass and yes the system is horrible but Carnival does not care what we think.

We had this on Dream last month. I thought it was fine and the cards are in a sealed envelope with instructions to go to Guest Services if the envelope has been opened. They scanned our pictures, from our passports, when we checked in. The check in was fast but we were part of the entitled Platinum people who boarded first. :)

I have no problem with the procedure and I am not worried about someone charging on my card. If they are going to go to the trouble of opening the envelope, charging a bunch of stuff at the bar (the only thing open), and then perfectly resealing the envelope then good for them. I can have the charges removed.

Take care,

Mike

I think many people will feel like me and want to secure their keys and know that they work so they can avoid long lines later on.

This is a discussion form, please allow me to post my opinions without jumping all over me. It's a huge turn off. I haven't attacked anyones position.

You can go straight to your cabin if you want to but it won't do you any good. As I understand the process your cards won't be there until your cabin is ready. I am heartened to hear that CCL does have a dedicated GS line for any issues arising from this process. As for saving time again as I understand it the check in person no longer needs to leave the counter to walk to where the cards are to retrieve them. Multiply that process by the number of passengers being processed and I can see where the time savings can be substantial.

Why would you need your card for food?