Two deaths on Anthem

sugcarol

I beg to differ, that ship has had a lot of issues. I am not a superstitious person, but the Anthem was not my cup of tea. You're entitled to your opinion and are free to cruise on her as you wish. Personally I would not go on her again. I am not so sure why people get so worked up about criticizing a particular ship. You would think it was their child.

:D

I hear ya. I never get so passionate about others' opinions

Very sad. But if it were me, and I was going to pass of natural causes, dying on a cruise ship where my last day and meal were wonderful isn't a bad way to go. Support for the wives. Hope they can take some comfort and support home with them.

What are the chances of this happening? Seems odd to say the least.

Chances of two dying? Slim. But all of these ships have a morgue on board because it is not unusual for someone to die during a cruise. The ship can handle 4,905 passengers (Maximum capacity). That's a large population to have zero deaths in every time.

Chances of two dying? Slim. But all of these ships have a morgue on board because it is not unusual for someone to die during a cruise. The ship can handle 4,905 passengers (Maximum capacity). That's a large population to have zero deaths in every time.

that's not a really good stat at all.

i believe it was estimated that there are rouhgly 200 deaths on cruises a year for about 19-24 million total passengers.

you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning

2 on the same boat is even more rare. like hitting the state lotto rare

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

I beg to differ, that ship has had a lot of issues. I am not a superstitious person, but the Anthem was not my cup of tea. You're entitled to your opinion and are free to cruise on her as you wish. Personally I would not go on her again. I am not so sure why people get so worked up about criticizing a particular ship. You would think it was their child.

Um, okay, whatever. Just stating facts. You do seem a bit worked up over it and no one will make you go on Anthem again, but we plan to. Not one person has said you have to do anything. You, for some reason took my post personally.

Edited by BND

Whenever there is a population of older cruisers, you will have deaths. Ask anyone whose been on a transatlantic. I can't tell you how many posts I've read over the years from cruisers who have posted about a death of an older cruiser. I think the bigger issue is because it's not reported, some think it's uncommon, which it is not. It's coincidental that two happened on the same ship on the same cruise, but it does happen.

Edited by BND

i believe it was estimated that there are rouhgly 200 deaths on cruises a year for about 19-24 million total passengers.

You may be right. And my example to follow is not 100% applicable because it's primarily the North American market. However... There are 185 ships operating in the North American Cruise Market. Assuming a weekly voyage from each, that's 9,620 cruises. If you assume all 200 annual deaths took place in the North American market (thus the inaccuracy), that's one death in every 48.1 cruises. Not common, but not unusual either.

We are on Anthem right now and learning about the deaths through social media. Like others have said - I'm sure that s happens all the time south out news coverage. Our energy should be towards your prayers for the family during this unexpected tragedy. There have been many alpha calls each day but there are several thousands passengers so not unexpected.

I don't understand the part about "planned to stay in hotels in Puerto Rico". Wasn't Anthem there on a day stop?

Simple explanation is they were going to stay at a hotel and use its facilities as a beach day. Not sure why everyone is baffled about that....folks do it every cruise.

Simple explanation is they were going to stay at a hotel and use its facilities as a beach day. Not sure why everyone is baffled about that....folks do it every cruise.

That's a stretch from what was written. Fact is, that is a very poorly written article.

My condolences to the families who lost loved ones. No matter the reason or age, the loss of a loved one is never easy to accept.

As for the ship, good lord folks it isn't the Flying Dutchman. You know, the legendary ghost ship that can never make port and is doomed to sail the oceans forever. Ship happens, and for whatever reason Anthem has just had a bit more ship than others, in this last year.

I'd sail on Anthem without thinking twice. I also walk under ladders, step on cracks, find 13 to be a lucky number, don't throw salt over my shoulder, black cats can walk in my path, and I don't even have a rabbit's foot. It is only a big deal if you think it is a big deal.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I enjoyed a great cruise on Anthem last week (sadly the last sailing with Dynamic Dining). Gorgeous ship with great entertainment. Nothing weird or unusual with this ship during my week. Will be on her again next August.:) Prayers for the families of the deceased.

His was a MSNBC analysis,

When I go, I go. But I couldn't think of very many better ways to spend my last few days than on a cruise ship.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Sure people may die all the time on cruise ships....but two people on the same cruise, both of natural causes?

Would it be unusual to have 2 people in a small town of 5000 people pass on the same day both of natural causes....probably not. In fact on a cruise ship where the average age is most likely higher than your average town the odds are probably higher that it will happen.

Whenever there is a population of older cruisers, you will have deaths. Ask anyone whose been on a transatlantic. I can't tell you how many posts I've read over the years from cruisers who have posted about a death of an older cruiser. I think the bigger issue is because it's not reported, some think it's uncommon, which it is not. It's coincidental that two happened on the same ship on the same cruise, but it does happen.

Just like people die on flights all the time, most of the time it never makes the news. There was some 3rd world airline that even looking into installing a body closet on long haul aircraft.

One time the airline I worked for got sued by a first class passenger because while he was asleep they had moved a body and the wife of the deceased to the seat across from him. He claimed he was scared for life due to her "whaling" and then the flight attendant telling him he could move to coach if he had an issue. He was a real classy guy.

I doubt if they had a day pass at a hotel. As far as I know, the ship didn't dock until 3 pm.

Just like people die on flights all the time, most of the time it never makes the news. There was some 3rd world airline that even looking into installing a body closet on long haul aircraft.

One time the airline I worked for got sued by a first class passenger because while he was asleep they had moved a body and the wife of the deceased to the seat across from him. He claimed he was scared for life due to her "whaling" and then the flight attendant telling him he could move to coach if he had an issue. He was a real classy guy.

people do not die on flights all the time. it does make it to the news because it happens so rarely.

people do frequently fly bodies of deceased back to home countries though.

I don't think anyone is baffled, and you may be right, or given the rest of the text in that article, it maybe irrelevant BS.