15 Drink Limit

Boots the Monkey

After reading this, it sounds like Carnival is a party boat? If you have such a rule, then it was created because of a widespread problem. Let's keep bragging how many drinks you can have! Makes Carnival look good!

Why does every post have to have one of "these" people:confused:

Not quite...from web site called prevention.gwu/education:

Generally speaking, alcohol is absorbed into the blood relatively quickly and metabolized more slowly. In an average 150 pound person, for example, each drink adds 0.02% to BAC and hour that passes removes 0.01% from it. This is why alcohol concentrations build steadily throughout a drinking session.

Let's put 15 drinks into perspective: each drink has 1 and 1/2 ounces of alcohol in it.....15 drinks = 22 and 1/2 ounces of alcohol, or just about 2/3 of a quart (32 oz)

Not many "social" drinkers will consume 2/3 of a bottle of vodka or rum each day.

No one was talking about 15 drinks. Apparently you didn't read the post.

Edited by ray98

It has everything to do with the $$$$, not because of a widespread problem.

Probably as every other cruise line has no limits on their packages. Maybe Carnival passengers drink more than other lines? Or other lines can afford to have no limits. Possibly both lol

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

It sounds like the bartender wisely claimed an across-the-board 15-drink limit as an excuse to cut someone off who needed to be cut off. Someone who didn't seem like an obnoxious drunk and was willing to keep paying Carnival for alcohol and tipping the bartender would probably not run into the same limit, especially if they were obviously buying for others.

I do find it odd when grown adults brag about having more than fifteen drinks in a day. :rolleyes: Fortunately, you can have completely different experiences on the same cruise ship -- It's only a "party ship" for those who want it to be.

Where did anyone brag? I must have missed it...

And you assume that someone having 15 drinks in a day is sloppy drunk. If someone started with breakfast, say 8am and spaced them out all day and was up till 11pm you probably wouldn't even know they had been drinking. I'd probably be more concerned with all the sugar consumed, especially if they were drinking fru fru drinks all day.

I don't drink, it just makes me tired. But if someone wants to have 15 drinks in a day, as long as they aren't driving the ship, I say have a good time.

Wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Just got off a cruise in October. Hit my 15 numerous days. (Not a brag, just a fact) In each of these instances, at number 14, I was allowed to buy a "drink for a friend" and kept drinking no problem. On a few days, I bought several buckets while sitting at 14 drinks(not just for me, but for the group.) Never once got shut off.

I have been shut off before, but my wife and I were both already at our 15 and tried to just buy more after that. The machine literally would not let them ring a drink in. It gave a similar screen that it would if we were under 21. The bartender showed me. I have been on cruises before though, that if you hit 15, you can still buy. This decision seems to be a "your mileage may vary" situation, as I have experienced both. Maybe its up to the individual ship's food and beverage director?

Wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Just got off a cruise in October. Hit my 15 numerous days. (Not a brag, just a fact) In each of these instances, at number 14, I was allowed to buy a "drink for a friend" and kept drinking no problem. On a few days, I bought several buckets while sitting at 14 drinks(not just for me, but for the group.) Never once got shut off.

I have been shut off before, but my wife and I were both already at our 15 and tried to just buy more after that. The machine literally would not let them ring a drink in. It gave a similar screen that it would if we were under 21. The bartender showed me. I have been on cruises before though, that if you hit 15, you can still buy. This decision seems to be a "your mileage may vary" situation, as I have experienced both. Maybe its up to the individual ship's food and beverage director?

Almost sounds as if in some circumstances it's up to the individual bartender.

Arbitrary numbers like that don't work though. Everyone is different in how they do with alcohol, not to mention just different size people. A 100lb lady having the same daily limit as a 300lb biker guy doesn't make sense. Cutting off should be on a case by case basis.

I understand the limit on the Cheers program from a financial standpoint.

What about a 300lb lady , a 210lb biker or a partridge in a pear tree ? Not all bikers are 300lbs you know.

Where did anyone brag? I must have missed it...

And you assume that someone having 15 drinks in a day is sloppy drunk. If someone started with breakfast, say 8am and spaced them out all day and was up till 11pm you probably wouldn't even know they had been drinking. I'd probably be more concerned with all the sugar consumed, especially if they were drinking fru fru drinks all day.

I don't drink, it just makes me tired. But if someone wants to have 15 drinks in a day, as long as they aren't driving the ship, I say have a good time.

The bragging was really in previous threads on this same topic, in which people were eager to explain how easily they exceeded the 15-drink limit in a typical day on a cruise. I would be unconscious; someone much larger than me would be simply buzzed for much of the day. Neither is my idea of a good way to spend my cruise and I don't like spending time with people who are drinking that much for various personal reasons, but, like I said, everyone can have their own cruise experience.

One cruise several years ago there were three of us buying drinks for the group, no doubt we would have hit the so called limit of 15 with ease. Most of the drinks I have had on board were not very strong, a can of beer seems to have more alcohol than the mixed drinks. Never have even come close to 15 on my own but could see where during the day it would be easy to accomplished and like I said with weak drinks not be drunk.

Probably as every other cruise line has no limits on their packages. Maybe Carnival passengers drink more than other lines? Or other lines can afford to have no limits. Possibly both lol

I don;t think so as Princess cruise lines are also run by Carnival Corp and has no daily limit on their package. I believe that the corporation is more concerned with Carnival cruisers sharing drinks than Princess cruisers. On princess not every person in the stateroom needs to have the package.

Why would the same corporation have such different rules unless they see 2 different types of customers ?

After reading this, it sounds like Carnival is a party boat? If you have such a rule, then it was created because of a widespread problem. Let's keep bragging how many drinks you can have! Makes Carnival look good!

It does not make Carnival look bad, that is your job....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It has everything to do with the $$$$, not because of a widespread problem.

Exactly. On other lines you are usually paying a higher fare to start off with. I've noticed that many of the "add ons" on Carnival are a little more pricey or have more limitations. Works out for those of us who don't care about the extras.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And you assume that someone having 15 drinks in a day is sloppy drunk. If someone started with breakfast, say 8am and spaced them out all day and was up till 11pm you probably wouldn't even know they had been drinking..

this is what i was thinking. also if you are just sipping on the beer and get a new one each hour (and don't actually finish the old one before it gets warm) you can hit that limit pretty quick.

Also, when does the "clock restart"? Midnight to midnight or some other random time.

Also, when does the "clock restart"? Midnight to midnight or some other random time.

Actually it's 6am to 6am - so your night doesn't have to end at midnight, and if you get up early enough on the last morning, you can get a drink or two in before you have to disembark.

I have a question for those that have hit the limit. I plan on drinking the virgin frozen drinks with an alcoholic one mixed in here and there. I'm a cheap drunk but I like having a drink in my hand. So my question is, since I've heard they count the virgin drinks toward the limit too, will they then cut you off from specialty coffee drinks too? I know those don't count toward the limit but I'm trying to figure out if the cheers plan basically stops if you reach that point. Like I said, I like to drink, anything, just not all that alcohol, I can't handle it.

Actually it's 6am to 6am - so your night doesn't have to end at midnight, and if you get up early enough on the last morning, you can get a drink or two in before you have to disembark.

I can attest as well, grabbed one Sunday before leaving Valor!

I have a question for those that have hit the limit. I plan on drinking the virgin frozen drinks with an alcoholic one mixed in here and there. I'm a cheap drunk but I like having a drink in my hand. So my question is, since I've heard they count the virgin drinks toward the limit too, will they then cut you off from specialty coffee drinks too? I know those don't count toward the limit but I'm trying to figure out if the cheers plan basically stops if you reach that point. Like I said, I like to drink, anything, just not all that alcohol, I can't handle it.

Only alcoholic drinks are counted towards the 15-drink limit. Have as much coffee, water or virgin drinks/milkshakes as you want!

Almost sounds as if in some circumstances it's up to the individual bartender.

This is almost certainly a bartender discrestion situation. Anywhere you go, at least in the US, the bartender serving you is ultimately liable for overserving you. If you pass out and die from alcohol poisoning or get in a car and kill someone, the bartender and establishment are liable. When people get bar tending and waitressing jobs they go through training about this.

I'm sure carnival faces the same thing if the bartender over serves you and you go overboard or hurt yourself or someone else. It sounds like there is no doubt that the cheers 'free drinks' are cut off at 15. But as far as the bartender stopping you at drink 14 to say that you are about to be cut off, I'm sure that's a decision they are making based on how drunk you are. If you need to be done, they ring in ur 15th drink and now they can show you the screen saying you are cutoff if you get mad. If you are fine to keep drinking then they just let you know to start paying for the drinks, and then they can keep collecting tips from you.

If you are paying by the drink, then that 15 drink limit line is probably get their go to for an excuse to cut you off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727