Question on Classic vs premium beverage package

PoppyandNana

We are considering changing our beverage package to a $300 OBC. We are not big drinkers but came with the booking. Of course we have the classic package.

If I select a premium liquor, say Grey Goose, do I pay the difference between what is allowed under the classic package or do I pay the entire cost of the drink.

If I have to pay the entire $8-$9 for a drink I might as well change to additional OBC.

We are considering changing our beverage package to a $300 OBC. We are not big drinkers but came with the booking. Of course we have the classic package.

If I select a premium liquor, say Grey Goose, do I pay the difference between what is allowed under the classic package or do I pay the entire cost of the drink.

If I have to pay the entire $8-$9 for a drink I might as well change to additional OBC.

With the classic package you pay the full price. It is only with the premium package that you pay only the difference.

I've been through this whole thing and I am wracking my brain trying to remember but I THINK I ended up paying for the whole cost of my own Goose and Sevens (I could be wrong).

However, IMO you really really NEED to figure out how many drinks you would have to drink EVERY DAY for you to come out ahead on any of these beverage packages. The answer might surprise you.

'

I also realize you already have one but do the math nonetheless.

I've been through this whole thing and I am wracking my brain trying to remember but I THINK I ended up paying for the whole cost of my own Goose and Sevens (I could be wrong).

However, IMO you really really NEED to figure out how many drinks you would have to drink EVERY DAY for you to come out ahead on any of these beverage packages. The answer might surprise you.

'

I also realize you already have one but do the math nonetheless.

I tried to do the math but it gets too complicated. Some days we may go through a $40 bottle of wine at dinner, other days we may just have a glass.

We may get two bottles of water on our way out if a port day. If not, maybe one later in the day. Couple of specially coffees, couple of sodas in the PM, a vodka before dinner, and maybe wine with dinner.

Gets more complicated because we are elite we usually have our evening cocktails in the Sky Lounge during the Captains Club cocktail hour(s). There I can get either Absolute for free or Grey Goose for $9.

May have a Baileys before the show or in a lounge. We always take late dining and rarely finish before 10. Even on sea days much less a Caribbean beach day we turn in early.

Think I have convinced myself that the $300 additional OBC is a better fit for us than a $1300 beverage package. Wait.....that can't be right, can it? if we do take the additional OBC we will have $925 in the kitty less $250 for gratuities; this trip is a ten day eastern Caribbean.

What would you do?

We've always chosen the beverage package if offered (never purchased) and upgraded to the premium package at times as we do like nicer wines that what is offered on the classic package. While we have never even gotten buzzed, much less drunk, on a cruise, we have always taken full advantage of the beverage package and it is the best deal for us. But, again, we do enjoy beer, wine, cocktails, specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices and bottled water, so we do come out ahead by choosing the beverage package. Not everyone would agree, though ... as not everyone imbibes daily when on a cruise.

For us, it works far better than the onboard credit unless it is a very short cruise.

With the Classic Package, you definitely pay for the entire drink if it's over the limit. With the Premium Package, you just pay the difference.

Both packages also offer discounts on bottles of wine, but I can't recall what they are. I'm sure that is listed on the Celebrity website.

When trying to figure things out, you have to also remember that both packages include bottled water, soft drinks, coffee/drinks from Café Al Bacio and freshly squeezed juice.

Do a search in cruise critic as some people have posted drink calculators.

Enjoy your cruise,

Linda

Without access to an absolutely up to date price list the drinks you list above will be between $50 - $70 per day (depending on 2 glasses of wine or a bottle at $40, not including the vodka) plus 18% grats. $50+18%*10 = $590 - nearly twice the OBC!!!

Looks a no brainer to me, but I am someone who would not dream of sailing without a premium package:D

Or to look at it another way $255 + 18% = $300.90 so OBC only makes sense if you are quite sure you won't spend more than $255 on drink. Which is realistically 1 glass of wine and 1 soda per day each.

Edited by Killington

I tried to do the math but it gets too complicated. Some days we may go through a $40 bottle of wine at dinner, other days we may just have a glass.

We may get two bottles of water on our way out if a port day. If not, maybe one later in the day. Couple of specially coffees, couple of sodas in the PM, a vodka before dinner, and maybe wine with dinner.

Gets more complicated because we are elite we usually have our evening cocktails in the Sky Lounge during the Captains Club cocktail hour(s). There I can get either Absolute for free or Grey Goose for $9.

May have a Baileys before the show or in a lounge. We always take late dining and rarely finish before 10. Even on sea days much less a Caribbean beach day we turn in early.

Think I have convinced myself that the $300 additional OBC is a better fit for us than a $1300 beverage package. Wait.....that can't be right, can it? if we do take the additional OBC we will have $925 in the kitty less $250 for gratuities; this trip is a ten day eastern Caribbean.

What would you do?

Simple calculation for you. $300 OBC for a ten day cruise for two people is $30 a day. Is your total drink bill likely to average over $30 a day for two people? If not then take the OBC and spend less than the $300. The next decision is whether you want to spend $11.18 a day per person to upgrade to the premium package. Based on the difficulty you are having deciding between a drink package and the $300 OBC it is probably not worth it to spend the extra money for the upgrade.

For us it is a easy decision to take a drink package for two people for $300 total. If you decide not to take the package you will know at the end of the cruise whether you spend over $300 for drinks.

Simple calculation for you. $300 OBC for a ten day cruise for two people is $30 a day. Is your total drink bill likely to average over $30 a day for two people? If not then take the OBC and spend less than the $300. The next decision is whether you want to spend $11.18 a day per person to upgrade to the premium package. Based on the difficulty you are having deciding between a drink package and the $300 OBC it is probably not worth it to spend the extra money for the upgrade.

For us it is a easy decision to take a drink package for two people for $300 total. If you decide not to take the package you will know at the end of the cruise whether you spend over $300 for drinks.

The calculation of OBC vs drink package needs to be done pre-cruise. The decision to upgrade to premium doesn't need to be made until 6 days into the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The calculation of OBC vs drink package needs to be done pre-cruise. The decision to upgrade to premium doesn't need to be made until 6 days into the cruise.

I assume both my wife and I have to upgrade to the premium package? Would be a total waste if we have to? She drinks very little and is quite comfortable with a basic glass of White Zin. I in turn like the higher end brands of vodka and tequila. If we stay with the basic package I'll end up paying for most of my drinks while we have this expensive beverage package for a few glasses of wine that go for $8 a bottle at home. She doesn't drink the specialty coffees, doesn't take the orange juice (neither do I). Few bottles of water here and there.

The only reason she want us to stay with the package instead of the OBC is she doesn't want to have to count pennies which she is wont to do. She will have a cappuccino knowing its already paid for rather than have to sign a chit for $6 for one. She will go without. Strange but that's not all that unusual for a person in their golden twilight of our lives who remembers when buying day old bread was how we got through the week. Me too, but at this point in my life I frankly don't give a damm.

What good does upgrading six days into a ten day cruise do?

Just to put things into perspective, we really are fairly well off. We own our home, have two cars and cruise three times a year. We're retired but due some really good stock options in the 90's we are doing just fine. Its not a matter of if we can afford a $6 cup of coffee it's can we afford it in her mind.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Unless something has changes (which it may well have) I think just one of you can upgrade. A few years ago my husband and I got premium packages but were only willing to spring for the classic package for our daughter. It worked just fine.

I assume both my wife and I have to upgrade to the premium package? Would be a total waste if we have to? She drinks very little and is quite comfortable with a basic glass of White Zin. I in turn like the higher end brands of vodka and tequila. If we stay with the basic package I'll end up paying for most of my drinks while we have this expensive beverage package for a few glasses of wine that go for $8 a bottle at home. She doesn't drink the specialty coffees, doesn't take the orange juice (neither do I). Few bottles of water here and there.

The only reason she want us to stay with the package instead of the OBC is she doesn't want to have to count pennies which she is wont to do. She will have a cappuccino knowing its already paid for rather than have to sign a chit for $6 for one. She will go without. Strange but that's not all that unusual for a person in their golden twilight of our lives who remembers when buying day old bread was how we got through the week. Me too, but at this point in my life I frankly don't give a damm.

What good does upgrading six days into a ten day cruise do?

Just to put things into perspective, we really are fairly well off. We own our home, have two cars and cruise three times a year. We're retired but due some really good stock options in the 90's we are doing just fine. Its not a matter of if we can afford a $6 cup of coffee it's can we afford it in her mind.

You have to both get the same perk (OBC, drinks,etc). But one can upgrade independently.

My point about 6 days in was that this was the LAST CHANCE to upgrade-- it can be done anytime prior.

Edited by denatravels

With the Classic Package, you definitely pay for the entire drink if it's over the limit. With the Premium Package, you just pay the difference.

Both packages also offer discounts on bottles of wine, but I can't recall what they are. I'm sure that is listed on the Celebrity website.

When trying to figure things out, you have to also remember that both packages include bottled water, soft drinks, coffee/drinks from Café Al Bacio and freshly squeezed juice.

Do a search in cruise critic as some people have posted drink calculators.

Enjoy your cruise,

Linda

Not sure I understand your answer. You said with the premium package you just pay the difference. What drink would be higher in price/value than what the premium package includes?

Not sure I understand your answer. You said with the premium package you just pay the difference. What drintk would be higher in price/value than what the premium package includes?

I know there are some cognac and scotches that are above the limit... And of course, glasses of wine.

I did see the JW Blue was not included in the Prem Package but as long as the Glen 18 is on there, I am good. Did you find a good cigar spot other than the Sunset Bar, the wind just blew ( no pun intended ) on the Silhouette Nov/14.

I know there are some cognac and scotches that are above the limit... And of course, glasses of wine.

Well its not just about the alcohol - we really like great wine and are willing to pay a little more with the premium package. Another thing that we like is a big bottle of sparkling water at meals. Plus you get all of the coffee shops javas with the premium package.

Get on board, if you feel limited and want to, upgrade to premium.

I've done both depending on the cruise. On a 10 day med cruise we went with the OBC because we were in port all day every day, and of course had wine with lunch so it was just a glass or two w dinner, and then there's no price limitations. We picked the bev package for our 12 day Hawaii cruise because we will have 5 sea days in a row (and prob won't drink with lunch) and think we will get more use out of it. Just depends on your cruise and travel style for which one is better.

Just to clarify rules NOW: I definately want to upgrade to Ultimate, but my husband may not, depending on what beers are offered & if Crown Royal on rocks or in a Manhattan are included in the classic. He isn't too picky...I like the martinis.

We are sailing Jan 7 and the classic drink pkg was included as a perk with our booking.

Just to clarify rules NOW: I definately want to upgrade to Ultimate, but my husband may not, depending on what beers are offered & if Crown Royal on rocks or in a Manhattan are included in the classic. He isn't too picky...I like the martinis.

We are sailing Jan 7 and the classic drink pkg was included as a perk with our booking.

Other than the fact that the upgrade is to "premium", what you said is fine- one can upgrade, 1 can keep classic. You can both wait until you board to see.

We got an included classic pack on our last cruise, and enjoyed it way more than we thought we would. On our upcoming cruise, there was not only an included classic package, there was $450 OBC on top of that. For a 7 day cruise. We are definitely upgrading. Mostly because we A. Like the Martini Bar, and you can't use it with only the classic package, and B. The wines are also measurably better. So for ten bucks a day, we are using OBC.

If the packages were not included, we would not buy them, since, as elite members, we get the daily cocktail hour.

B. The wines are also measurably better. So for ten bucks a day, we are using OBC.

How do you know you are being served better wines?

Recently on Reflection there were no menu's ( possibly in the wine bar but we did not go there)

It seemed in the MDR they had selected wines in ice buckets and when i asked for a type ( eg pinot grigo ) with dinner they chose a bottle from those already open.

No menu's at any of the bars to choose from.

Recently on Reflection there were no menu's ( possibly in the wine bar but we did not go there)

It seemed in the MDR they had selected wines in ice buckets and when i asked for a type ( eg pinot grigo ) with dinner they chose a bottle from those already open.

I was on the recent Reflection TA and there were menus in every bar which included the wines served in that particular bar. Also we sometimes were able to get a wine not on the list. Perhaps a recent change?

Also the dining locations all have wine lists with the wines served by the glass.

The only reason she want us to stay with the package instead of the OBC is she doesn't want to have to count pennies which she is wont to do. She will have a cappuccino knowing its already paid for rather than have to sign a chit for $6 for one. She will go without. .

Never a truer word, we included DW in the package and she enjoyed trying a different cocktail each night before dinner and specialty coffee. She definitely would not have done that without the package. I added up her 'minimal' drinks - wine before dinner, wine with dinner, occasionally a G&T at a show, coffee and water each port day. The savings over the package were small and as you said, the convenience of ordering when she wanted, clinched the deal. DW would be fine with the Classic package, but using the same logic we will upgrade to Premium - Lemon Drop Martini anyone ?

At dinner, my wife likes Pinot Noir, so she was served with the one from the classics pkg, Castle Rock, I think, or something similar. On the last 2 days, the sommelier (we stayed at the same station, even though we did anytime dining) poured the more expensive pinot because they ran out of the cheaper stuff.

The restaurant menus show the prices.

Oh, and I would never just get a cappuccino with an extra shot if I had to sign for it, but with the included drinks package, well, yeah.

Edited by Myron E