Princess vs NCL

New2cruise1483

I am starting to research a Panama Canal cruise for spring of 2018 with either princess or NCL. We've had 3 cruises with NCL and one with RCI so far. I'm wondering what are the differences between Princess and NCL as far as service, food, crowding and passenger demographic. Our last two cruises on NCL have been very crowded and has affected our enjoyment, so I'm wondering it it would be different on Princess. Also, who do you think does better with the Panama Canal cruise? I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, so please be patient with me. Thanks for and input.

One of the biggest pluses of sailing with Princess, especially to destinations like the Panama Canal, are their enrichment and destination lectures. To my knowledge NCL offers nothing of this sort. NCL simply cannot compete (and chooses not to) with Princess in this area. Instead NCL fill The day with endless rounds of trivia, spa seminars, art auctions and other drivel. Princess offers those too, but at least the lectures offer balance

As far as crowding, ship amenities, etc it will largely depend on which ships you are comparing? Passenger demographic will be similar age wise regardless of line if it's a 15nt full transit coast to coast. If it's a 10nt Roundtrip from Florida NCL average age may be a tad lower. NCL in general caters more to a late night crowd than Princess, again depends on which itinerary.

If you like a quiet place to sun by the pool don't look to NCL! Princess has multiple pool areas on their ships and there is always one or two that offer quiet and relaxation. The same has been my experiences with indoor venues during the day - harder to find a quiet spot to read, play cards, watch the sea, etc on NCL ships.

NCL has more extra cost dining venues than Princess. I find the food quality good on both lines in general. That said food is very subjective, and can vary from ship to ship depending on the executive chef and his/her galley team, what time and where you eat, what you eat, etc

After my last two NCL experiences I have personally decide that despite good food and entertainment they are not the right fit for my cruising personality. I much prefer Princess, Holland America and Celebrity.

I would recommend Coral Princess as the ship of choice for the Panama Canal. She was built specifically for this route ["Panamax design" = maximum length and width to fit the old locks], which makes the transit particularly breathtaking [only inches to spare!]. It also makes the ship long and narrow compared to most cruise ships, which harkens back to the golden age of ocean liners -- and cuts down on crowding. Note: Island Princess used to be a clone of Coral, but a recent drydock added many more cabins at the expense of one show lounge and other public spaces -- customer reaction was so bad that Princess dropped plans for a similar travesty of Coral and she continues to sail as designed.]

I had clients recently return from a full canal transit on NCL. One of their Main complaints was the lack of destination or enrichment lectures. I have done two transatlantic cruises in the last two years on NCL and had the same experience. I have also gotten feedback from clients that they have not offered anything on Alaskan cruises except the mandatory park rangers in Glacier Bay.

Those are three destinations where I would expect lecturers to have been onboard. Perhaps they have done so in the past, or offer them in other regions?

One of the biggest pluses of sailing with Princess, especially to destinations like the Panama Canal, are their enrichment and destination lectures. To my knowledge NCL offers nothing of this sort. NCL simply cannot compete (and chooses not to) with Princess in this area. Instead NCL fill The day with endless rounds of trivia, spa seminars, art auctions and other drivel. Princess offers those too, but at least the lectures offer balance

As far as crowding, ship amenities, etc it will largely depend on which ships you are comparing? Passenger demographic will be similar age wise regardless of line if it's a 15nt full transit coast to coast. If it's a 10nt Roundtrip from Florida NCL average age may be a tad lower. NCL in general caters more to a late night crowd than Princess, again depends on which itinerary.

If you like a quiet place to sun by the pool don't look to NCL! Princess has multiple pool areas on their ships and there is always one or two that offer quiet and relaxation. The same has been my experiences with indoor venues during the day - harder to find a quiet spot to read, play cards, watch the sea, etc on NCL ships.

NCL has more extra cost dining venues than Princess. I find the food quality good on both lines in general. That said food is very subjective, and can vary from ship to ship depending on the executive chef and his/her galley team, what time and where you eat, what you eat, etc

After my last two NCL experiences I have personally decide that despite good food and entertainment they are not the right fit for my cruising personality. I much prefer Princess, Holland America and Celebrity.

Thanks for the comparison, our last two cruises on NCL seem to be getting more and more crowded, to the point it has me looking elsewhere. We are looking at a 15 day full transit.

I would recommend Coral Princess as the ship of choice for the Panama Canal. She was built specifically for this route ["Panamax design" = maximum length and width to fit the old locks], which makes the transit particularly breathtaking [only inches to spare!]. It also makes the ship long and narrow compared to most cruise ships, which harkens back to the golden age of ocean liners -- and cuts down on crowding. Note: Island Princess used to be a clone of Coral, but a recent drydock added many more cabins at the expense of one show lounge and other public spaces -- customer reaction was so bad that Princess dropped plans for a similar travesty of Coral and she continues to sail as designed.]

Thank you for the recommendation on Coral. I've been trying to decide which one would be better between the two ships.If memory serves me correct I believe the itinerary offered on Coral is the one that has a two day canal experience.

I second the recommendation for the Coral Princess. I did a review of our Panama Canal trip a couple of years ago, if you are interested in what Princess offers. The link to the review is in my signature.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the recommendation, and I will definitely be checking out you review :).

Also recommend the Coral Princess. Lots of public space. Approx. 2,000 passengers. You will not feel crowded. The Coral does mainly 10 RT partial transits, but does do a few full transits.

Also in 2018 the Caribbean Princess will be doing 10 day partial transits in the new locks. Although larger than the Coral you will not feel crowded as there is lots of public space.

Edited by sknight

We have sailed both lines several times in the past three years, mostly standard cruises out of Houston, but we did 12 days in the Med on the Epic and 10 days on the Royal Princess in November. We also did a 10 day partial transit on the Coral Princess several years ago. My vote would definitely go to Princess for the Panama Canal. Of course, if the perks offered by NCL are important to you, you need to take that into account. I believe the ships NCL is using for the transits are their older ships, the Carol is also an older ship, but I think you'd find it nicer and better maintained.

I've never seen an enrichment lecture on any of my NCL cruises.

Unless of course you're counting the port shopping lectures as the same thing. Cariloha!!!! ;)

Sorry to hear that. I have had a lecture in glacier bay and know that they lecture in the Canal because I have friends who just did the full transit and took notes of the lecture and videoed. While each has their own preferences of cruise lines, one should base their decisions based on facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to hear that. I have had a lecture in glacier bay and know that they lecture in the Canal because I have friends who just did the full transit and took notes of the lecture and videoed. While each has their own preferences of cruise lines, one should base their decisions based on facts

How is Aquahound's personal experience on NCL not a fact?

Thank you for the recommendation on Coral. I've been trying to decide which one would be better between the two ships.If memory serves me correct I believe the itinerary offered on Coral is the one that has a two day canal experience.

I fully enjoyed our two day Panama experience when we did a full transit of the canal. Wish I could have found one for this winter. There is much to see and do in Panama off the ship, including info on the canal.

Sorry to hear that. I have had a lecture in glacier bay and know that they lecture in the Canal because I have friends who just did the full transit and took notes of the lecture and videoed. While each has their own preferences of cruise lines, one should base their decisions based on facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The commentators in Glacier Bay and the Panama Canal are supplied by the local authorities to all ships visiting those areas and are not considered enrichment/destination lecturers. They do give a play by play of the experience and enhance it for those onboard.

What we are talking about are lecturers hired by the cruise lines to come aboard prior to visiting a port or scenic/historic site to give a lecture, or series of lectures (usually in the main theater) to discuss the history, culture, lifestyle, construction, ecology, etc of the area(s) being visited. Also many cruise lines will hire enrichment lecturers who may discuss politics, world events, etc.

NCL does not offer those kinds of programs, whereas Princess does. For some people, like myself, the addition of this extra programming is important, for others it is not.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

While each has their own preferences of cruise lines, one should base their decisions based on facts.

It is a fact that on all my NCL cruises, I have never seen or heard of an enrichment lecture.

But as a matter of opinion, if NCL did do them, I'm sure they would find a way to charge for them.

Thank you everybody for all the helpful replies. I'm definitely leaning heavily towards Princess for this voyage as I've always wanted to try them. I'm going to be deciding if I want to leave from California or Florida, and such things. Also, big thanks for the advice on the Coral!