FOUND: Wedding Ring in Safe

JLODK

What none of you seem to realize is that the OP has a number of others who agree with what they did and most likely would have done similar. Why do you feel,the need to keep reminding them of your opinion?

I think until the owner comes forward or the ring is returned to Royal this thread should be done. The OP has gotten more than enough grief from posters here.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

The ring shouldn't have to be returned. They should have it in the first place so the owner can find it by calling lost and found. DA!

Edited by cruisinfanatic

I believe the OP had good intentions, but I think taking it off the ship was a bad idea for liability reasons. At this point you have taken responsibility for that ring by telling royal and the whole world that you have it. If you misplace it, it's stolen from you, or gets lost in shipping; what if the owners come after you for the replacement value. By leaving it in royals possession, you did your good deed by turning it in, and you don't have any liability if something happens at that point.

It make them horrible people for them to do that their. Let's say they left the ring in the safe, go home, call royal and it's lost, never to be found. They will claim it as stolen and likely recover the value under homeowners insurance. Now, you took it and someone breaks into your house tomorrow and steals it. Their owners insurance may cover it, may not. Their insurance may want yours to pay for it since it was in your possession. Or if it's lost, same deal, you took possession of it. It's a much more complicated situation now than just leaving it on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it sad that people are always afraid to take responsibility for things because something could happen and they could be liable.

I can see both side of this issue, but truly believe that the OP's heart was in the right place. She is taking a lot of steps to ensure the ring's owner is found - steps she wouldn't have to take if she had just dropped the ring at guest services and went on her way.

In the end, each person has to do what he or she believes is right. I applaud the OP for doing what she believed to be right for the owner. Was it the right choice? We cannot know. We will never know what would have happened if she'd left the ring on the ship, but I hope we'll eventually hear that she got the ring back to its owner.

The ring shouldn't have to be returned. They should have it in the first place so the owner can find it by calling lost and found. DA!

Your opinion which has been stated on her more than enough. The OP had the best in mind. Time to stop berating them.

Your opinion which has been stated on her more than enough. The OP had the best in mind. Time to stop berating them.

So, just to be clear, you and the OP can keep repeating your opinion, but those with a different perspective can't? Gotcha. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fouremco

So, just to be clear, you and the OP can keep repeating your opinion, but those with a different perspective can't? Gotcha. :rolleyes:

No, don't put words in my mouth. It appears the same posters keep berating the OP, many different ones have come along to agree. Also, I did say until the ring is returned to the owner or Royal no more should be added to this thread. That means positive or negative.

The OP is trying to do something nice, but the negativity on this site is turning it into a crime, such a shame. This will be my last post on this thread but I will be watching to see the end result.

Edited by akcruz

is turning it into a crime,

Not withstanding the op good intentions I'm sure the crime has already been committed.

It can be turned whoever we want. But the ring should have been turned in when found or thrown into the fires of Mordor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, don't put words in my mouth. It appears the same posters keep berating the OP, many different ones have come along to agree. Also, I did say until the ring is returned to the owner or Royal no more should be added to this thread. That means positive or negative.

The OP is trying to do something nice, but the negativity on this site is turning it into a crime, such a shame. This will be my last post on this thread but I will be watching to see the end result.

No one actually knows the OP so no one really does know their intention. They can post anything they want but that doesn't mean they're actually doing what they say they are. Anyone can say they're trustworthy, but that doesn't mean they are. The defensiveness of posters can be a red flag and usually means they aren't convinced what they did was right so they're trying to convince everyone, including themselves. If a poster really doesn't care what others think they won't bother to defend themselves to people they don't know. Anyway, point is, you can have your opinion, but you don't have to take your toys and go home.

In hindsight they should have handed ring in and saved themselves grief but well done to them for caring that the owner gets their ring back.We all do things that with hindsight we would have done differently but that's what makes us human.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I agree. To err is human, no good dead goes unpunished and ignorance is bliss. Had they just turned it in onboard they would have done their good dead and continued on.

I am on the OP's side, I hope the owner is found and the ring returned. You can't do too much to find that person.

As a side note, last month, the night before our cruise in Ft Lauderdale, we stayed at a large name brand hotel. Upon unpacking on the ship, we noticed we could not find a charging wire for one of our phones, as well as a bottle of eye glass cleaner.

Upon returning home, and calling the hotel, I was told that the items were "not found". I want to say the last place I saw the eye glass cleaner was on the vanity, in full view of the person cleaning the room. The wire, I am sure was either on or near the desk.

With that being said, yes, my items could be easily replaced, but loosing the wedding ring, I hope the person who lost it gets it back, because that is probably one of the few items that are irreplaceable.

A comment about using a cruise cabin safes. I always check the safe when I am leaving the ship end the end of the cruise; sound obvious but you should always do it the last thing I do before leaving. Also reach in the back of the safe many times you end up putting things like rings way in the back and you forget them when you leave. Also leave it open as a reminder to check it again.

A comment about using a cruise cabin safes. I always check the safe when I am leaving the ship end the end of the cruise; sound obvious but you should always do it the last thing I do before leaving. Also reach in the back of the safe many times you end up putting things like rings way in the back and you forget them when you leave. Also leave it open as a reminder to check it again.

To further your good points, my wife and I each check the safe on the last morning to make double sure that neither of us have missed or left anything behind.

We sailed last month on the Koningsdam, HAL's newest addition to the fleet. The safe had an interior light that turned on for 10 seconds or so when you opened the door, making it far easier to check. This was the first time we've seen a safe with this feature, one that other manufacturers will hopefully adopt.

Oh, and last month on the CB, I found they had put a square of sponge in the bottom of the safe, fitted under the front lip where I am sure many an item has gone missing. For the longest time all the bottom had was a square of felt. The sponge can still be removed for a thorough checking.

I'm sailing tomorrow am for a weekend getaway.

Will be sure to check the safe immediately upon boarding

8560d884476e551ddc0d0050db6439c2.jpg

So first thing I checked, the safe.

Found these beauties.

Xanax and a sea sickness pill.

Should I take them home. Or hand them in?