Gratuities on Sun Princess on Aussie cruises

It is supposed to already be included so now it is a extra on top.

Another reason to stay away from the Aussie Princess ships.

It is already included. However, as tips have grown globally - and locals have travelled more - it seems they're re-evaluating what consumer acceptance is like. They haven't made a decision either way yet.

Not sure why that's a reason to stay away. As ever, you book at the price that you find suitable for the ships, itinerary and so on. This doesn't change that. And given it's the way RCL and Celebrity have charged locally until recently, it's not a reason I've heard you say to not book with them...

Edited by The_Big_M

Yes, because Princess AU have adjusted local pricing to make it simpler for locals - which most prefer. Not sure why you're unhappy with that.

Unhappy because it is already included but now they want to (possibly) add extra anyway.

Edited by MicCanberra

It is already included. However, as tips have grown globally - and locals have travelled more - it seems they're re-evaluating what consumer acceptance is like. They haven't made a decision either way yet.

Not sure why that's a reason to stay away. As ever, you book at the price that you find suitable for the ships, itinerary and so on. This doesn't change that. And given it's the way RCL and Celebrity have charged locally until recently, it's not a reason I've heard you say to not book with them...

I will stay away as they are old ships and they do not offer me any thing that I cannot get elsewhere for a better price even compared to Princess International. If they are going to add extras, their pricing is going to be even worse for them.

Unhappy because it is already included but now they want to (possibly) add extra anyway.

Just the same as the other gratuity increases that go on regularly... Not something to be happy about but the way of the world. Inflation, except in most of our pay packets!

I will stay away as they are old ships and they do not offer me any thing that I cannot get elsewhere for a better price even compared to Princess International. If they are going to add extras, their pricing is going to be even worse for them.

Fair enough if you don't like the product. But I weigh up the cost and itinerary, and have had some good experiences on those ships, so all it is weighing up whatever the new cost will be against the value as in the past.

Just the same as the other gratuity increases that go on regularly... Not something to be happy about but the way of the world. Inflation, except in most of our pay packets!

I know inflation happens and will increase the price, but why flag it as a gratuity to be added, why not just increase the fares by $2 a day and keep it included.

I know inflation happens and will increase the price, but why flag it as a gratuity to be added, why not just increase the fares by $2 a day and keep it included.

I agree. Adding it as a separate will just spawn dissatisfaction and complaints from passengers, just like the credit card surcharge does - a local garden centre tried adding the credit card surcharge for a while but they got so much flak from it they have now stopped charging it, much to the relief of their checkout staff.

I agree. Adding it as a separate will just spawn dissatisfaction and complaints from passengers, just like the credit card surcharge does - a local garden centre tried adding the credit card surcharge for a while but they got so much flak from it they have now stopped charging it, much to the relief of their checkout staff.

I agree with your comments.

$2 a day? and the pax will still be lining up at the Pursers desk to remove it, as they did when auto gratuities were on Sun/Sea/Dawn Princesses.

Carnival have increased per diem cruise costs to pay wages on Princess Australia ships and that is where it should stay, no extra tipping whether the $2 per day or cash in hand tips. This 'double tipping' should never have started, why pay double? (Auto tips and cash handouts.)

We were recently on Island Princess doing Central America/Panama Canal out of LA. One of our favourite waiters in the Wheelhouse Bar said she was glad to leave Sea Princess because of her low wages...no 15% drink gratuity added to her basic wage, only a token allowance in lieu. She said made 25% more in wages by working on the Island Princess due to her 15% drink gratuities.

As a couple we paid a total of US$600 in automatic gratuities for the 20 days, more than enough thank you.

Standby for incoming. Another tipping thread.

Edited by NSWP

Fair enough if you don't like the product. But I weigh up the cost and itinerary, and have had some good experiences on those ships, so all it is weighing up whatever the new cost will be against the value as in the past.

bingo, hit the nail with the hammer.:)

And that is what it comes down to at the end of the day.

They haven't made a change yet; just assessing it. As said previously, possible factors are:

- customer familiarity; if tips are more familiar to people from other cruise lines, there's less benefit from making it inclusive

- financial cost; it's beneficial to cruise lines financially for tips to be paid separately instead of as a wage cost

- marketing; if there's no benefit from having them included, then having to advertise a higher price to include them means that your product looks more expensive

Just a few reasons...

We were recently on Island Princess doing Central America/Panama Canal out of LA. One of our favourite waiters in the Wheelhouse Bar said she was glad to leave Sea Princess because of her low wages...no 15% drink gratuity added to her basic wage, only a token allowance in lieu. She said made 25% more in wages by working on the Island Princess due to her 15% drink gratuities.

And that's exactly another reason; staff dissatisfaction. If they're not making as much then they'll leave. Nothing unique about Australian cruise ships; they'll just switch to others if they're not paid enough locally.

I just don't know why they couldn't just raise the prices, they have been moving away from the tips being separate, I don't know why they returned back to the old ways.:(

They haven't decided to, and if customer acceptance is terrible, they'll surely stick with the current way. But there are competing reasons to go the other way too, which is what makes them look at that as well.

They haven't made a change yet; just assessing it. As said previously, possible factors are:

- customer familiarity; if tips are more familiar to people from other cruise lines, there's less benefit from making it inclusive

- financial cost; it's beneficial to cruise lines financially for tips to be paid separately instead of as a wage cost

- marketing; if there's no benefit from having them included, then having to advertise a higher price to include them means that your product looks more expensive

Just a few reasons...

I agree that there may be many reasons, some of which you have posted. Although the first is exactly opposite as to where other cruise lines are headed, with both X and Royal including the tips in the fares for the aussie season.

• 1 year later...

We're sailing on the Sun this coming November, but, as we're from the UK and booked with a UK TA we still need to pay the daily grats. Does anyone know what the daily amount is in AUD. When I go onto my personaliser it just shows the total amount in £'s

Many Thanks

David

Our first cruise was Dawn Princess in 2009. We had gratuities added to our account daily. This was the same for the next few cruises. I cant remember exactly when they included it in the booking price for Australian cruises. I doubt they would go back to charging a daily fee as most passengers are happy to have them included in the price. As far as the cabin stewards go, we have been told numerous times that they love being on the Australian ships.

Princess took the auto gratuities off for Australians booking the Australian-based cruises, from 1st May, 2011. You are probably aware that we also do not pay the extra gratuity on top of the cost of drinks.:D However, the initial price of the drinks is higher than on the US ships.

I cannot tell you what the current amount is in AUD, but it is probably what is charged in US$ on US-based cruises, converted to AUD. I suggest you keep in mind that, when the auto-gratuities were removed, the remuneration of the stewards was increased to what they would receive if the tips were in place. With this in mind, it is up to you if you prefer to remove the auto-gratuity, then tip those who serve you personally. They will be able to keep it all. If you leave the auto-gratuity on, I believe that the tips are distributed fleet-wide, not just to your stewards.

Princess took the auto gratuities off for Australians booking the Australian-based cruises, from 1st May, 2011. You are probably aware that we also do not pay the extra gratuity on top of the cost of drinks.:D However, the initial price of the drinks is higher than on the US ships.

I cannot tell you what the current amount is in AUD, but it is probably what is charged in US$ on US-based cruises, converted to AUD. I suggest you keep in mind that, when the auto-gratuities were removed, the remuneration of the stewards was increased to what they would receive if the tips were in place. With this in mind, it is up to you if you prefer to remove the auto-gratuity, then tip those who serve you personally. They will be able to keep it all. If you leave the auto-gratuity on, I believe that the tips are distributed fleet-wide, not just to your stewards.

No intention of removing tips, just wanted to be able to work if it was better for us to pre-pay in £ or just have it charged to our account daily in AUD.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

No intention of removing tips, just wanted to be able to work if it was better for us to pre-pay in £ or just have it charged to our account daily in AUD.

I am suggesting removing the tips, then tipping the stewards who serve you. It is your decision. :) I don't know if it would be better for you to pre-pay in pounds or have it charged in AUD.

I am suggesting removing the tips, then tipping the stewards who serve you. It is your decision. :) I don't know if it would be better for you to pre-pay in pounds or have it charged in AUD.
We always leave the tips on, less hassle.

We're sailing on the Sun this coming November, but, as we're from the UK and booked with a UK TA we still need to pay the daily grats. Does anyone know what the daily amount is in AUD. When I go onto my personaliser it just shows the total amount in £'s

Many Thanks

David

Do the conversion, 1 GBP = $1.73 AUD. example -if it is around 9 GBP it would be $15.56 AUD.

We really don't know or care what it is as it is included in our fares.

Do the conversion, 1 GBP = $1.73 AUD. example -if it is around 9 GBP it would be $15.56 AUD.

We really don't know or care what it is as it is included in our fares.

Know how to do the conversion. But, without knowing how much I'll be charged daily onboard, the conversion is pointless. Great that it's included in your fares, just thought it might say in your holiday info how much it was daily, but it was all part of your cruise fare..

Really, so people on the other ships would get a portion of the tip, I find that hard to believe.

Note that if you only tip your stewards then it is to the detriment of your waiters, etc that would normally get a portion and they will miss out.

Really, so people on the other ships would get a portion of the tip, I find that hard to believe.

Note that if you only tip your stewards then it is to the detriment of your waiters, etc that would normally get a portion and they will miss out.

Don't know how it works on Aus Princess ships, but, for the rest of the fleet, your daily gratuity goes to more than just the room steward and waiters. It goes to some of the backroom staff also. If you remove the daily grats and tip personally, then the staff have to hand that in and it gets distributed back into the tipping pool for ALL staff as if you'd left the tips on. If you leave the tips on, and then tip personally on top of this, then the staff get to keep it.