Gratuities on Sun Princess on Aussie cruises

Copied from the Princess site.

For our Australian guests, when sailing on cruises departing from Australia aboard Sun Princess, Dawn Princess or Sea Princess, a daily gratuity amount will no longer be added to your on board account. You are welcome to reward our on board crew for exceptional service, however, tipping is not required.

For all other Princess itineraries and guests, to save you the worry of who to tip and how much, an automatic gratuity of $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. For your convenience, this gratuity can be pre-paid online via Cruise Personalizer.

Copied from the Princess site.

For our Australian guests, when sailing on cruises departing from Australia aboard Sun Princess, Dawn Princess or Sea Princess, a daily gratuity amount will no longer be added to your on board account. You are welcome to reward our on board crew for exceptional service, however, tipping is not required.

For all other Princess itineraries and guests, to save you the worry of who to tip and how much, an automatic gratuity of $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. For your convenience, this gratuity can be pre-paid online via Cruise Personalizer.

Is that in AUD or US, as that is what is normally charged in US$.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Divide the total amount by the number of cruise days to get daily amount and convert to AUD

I know that, I then want to compare it to what I'd be charged if I didn't prepay and was charged daily onboard. As you get charged for using a CC on Aus Princess ships I was going to bring AUD instead, so want to know roughly how much I'll need.

Know how to do the conversion. But, without knowing how much I'll be charged daily onboard, the conversion is pointless. Great that it's included in your fares, just thought it might say in your holiday info how much it was daily, but it was all part of your cruise fare..

This is off the Princess site.

How do gratuities work?

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

This would be USD. I assume the coversions to AUD would be $19.75, $18.50 and $17.20 respectively.

Really, so people on the other ships would get a portion of the tip, I find that hard to believe.

Note that if you only tip your stewards then it is to the detriment of your waiters, etc that would normally get a portion and they will miss out.

It has been stated that the tips are 'fleet-wide' and that are apportioned among the stewards/bar tenders etc who are in the tipping pool. Some of the funds also go to staff incentives and rewards. When I use the term 'stewards' I mean 'room steward' and 'dining room steward'.

From the Princess website:

For all other Princess itineraries and guests, to save you the worry of who to tip and how much, an automatic gratuity of $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

Don't know how it works on Aus Princess ships, but, for the rest of the fleet, your daily gratuity goes to more than just the room steward and waiters. It goes to some of the backroom staff also. If you remove the daily grats and tip personally, then the staff have to hand that in and it gets distributed back into the tipping pool for ALL staff as if you'd left the tips on. If you leave the tips on, and then tip personally on top of this, then the staff get to keep it.

Correct Dave, on the Princess ships operating from outside Australia, keep your full auto tips on and staff can keep what you give them. Take them off or reduce them, then they must hand it in 'to the pool.' Failure to do so is immediate termination of employment. On the last night in the MDR you see the head waiters circling the tables watching which pax hand what to waiters. I have seen it many times. The Head Waiters have the 'tips removed list.' As do the Hotel supervisors who supervise the cabin stewards.

Correct Dave, on the Princess ships operating from outside Australia, keep your full auto tips on and staff can keep what you give them. Take them off or reduce them, then they must hand it in 'to the pool.' Failure to do so is immediate termination of employment. On the last night in the MDR you see the head waiters circling the tables watching which pax hand what to waiters. I have seen it many times. The Head Waiters have the 'tips removed list.' As do the Hotel supervisors who supervise the cabin stewards.

Not to mention the tip monitoring sensors in the corners of each room.;p

• 3 weeks later...
Know how to do the conversion. But, without knowing how much I'll be charged daily onboard, the conversion is pointless. Great that it's included in your fares, just thought it might say in your holiday info how much it was daily, but it was all part of your cruise fare..

I'm on the Sun Princess in March so I'll let you know when I get back.

I'm on the Sun Princess in March so I'll let you know when I get back.

Are you aware that on Princess you can go to the Pursers office/reception and reduce/remove your automatic wage subsidy (auto gratuity.) ? :eek:

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, but we just leave them on.

No worries mate. You will enjoy Sun Princess, sister ship of P&O Oceana. Been on Sun twice, circumnavigation of Australia and to NZ.

Simple if you booked and paid in Australia your fare is higher and you are not slugged on board gratuities to your on board account . However if you booked outside Australia your fare should be lower and you will be slugged the on board gratuity to your on board account pp per day .

The reason for this , it is illegal under Australian law to quote a price and then charge extra as an odd on afterwards for travel products sold in Australia . The travel price in Australia quoted must include all hidden extras and charges .

Simple if you booked and paid in Australia your fare is higher and you are not slugged on board gratuities to your on board account . However if you booked outside Australia your fare should be lower and you will be slugged the on board gratuity to your on board account pp per day .

The reason for this , it is illegal under Australian law to quote a price and then charge extra as an odd on afterwards for travel products sold in Australia . The travel price in Australia quoted must include all hidden extras and charges .

Thanks for the info Kuldalai - Aussie way seems a better way of doing things.

This gratuity will be shared among those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience' date=' including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff [b']across the fleet[/b].[/color]

I had not heard of this before however I have always wondered how the dude that is in the 'sweat shop' washing my pillow case (who is on a contract that finished half way though my cruise) gets to benefit from my tip.

However as Princess has tightened the screws on things like drink packages & prices, no steaks in the MDR, killed their signature pasta./parmesan baskets

As much as we appreciate the excellent face-to-face crew experience - us Elves no longer tip anyone.

Princess has killed the Golden Goose for me.

I had not heard of this before however I have always wondered how the dude that is in the 'sweat shop' washing my pillow case (who is on a contract that finished half way though my cruise) gets to benefit from my tip.

However as Princess has tightened the screws on things like drink packages & prices, no steaks in the MDR, killed their signature pasta./parmesan baskets

As much as we appreciate the excellent face-to-face crew experience - us Elves no longer tip anyone.

Princess has killed the Golden Goose for me.

Well said, the cruise line is turning the screws on the pax, perhaps time to screw it the other way.:evilsmile: They - Carnival Corporation, might wake up one day.:rolleyes: