Wait List: Still Use a travel agent?

aaaaa

I'd like to put myself on the wait list for an upcoming sailing. Would a travel agent be able to make this reservation (or even be interested in making it) given that, now, I won't be paying more than a deposit and may not even do that. Will I be able to arrange the pricing at this point or is the pricing determined only if I clear the wait list? Thanks.

I'd like to put myself on the wait list for an upcoming sailing. Would a travel agent be able to make this reservation (or even be interested in making it) given that, now, I won't be paying more than a deposit and may not even do that. Will I be able to arrange the pricing at this point or is the pricing determined only if I clear the wait list? Thanks.

I'd recommend that you use an Agent, preferably one who Agents full time (i.e. not your Aunts sisters first cousin with the odd limp), because you're looking for someone who can be contacted by the Cruise Line at a moments notice.

The thing to remember about paying the deposit for a wait list cabin is that when Oceania starts assigning cabins, those with paid deposits get first crack at them.

Pricing is determined when the reservation is made (even if it is a wait list reservation) and depends on the class of cabin which you buy in on. That said, there are occasionally offers to buy up into a better class of cabin at a discounted rate, so you'll wan't to keep your Agent in the loop about what your limits are (along the lines of, "We're willing to pay up to $150pp for a category A). Discount offers come and go with the wind, so you need someone informed and available to accept or refuse them.

I've condensed this information to within an inch of its' life, but I believe that it still makes sense.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip.

Getting there IS half the fun.

Edited by JimandStan

You understand that "wait list" is pretty much like playing craps and betting on the "come line".... no guarantee of anything but a chance to possibly get a cabin... or get nothing.

I used to bet this way in past years...but not now guarantees are even getting few and far between Wait list are way down the line of luck and the odds are not all that good

Me, personally I would not in this day and age rely on getting a cabin wit a wait list..

no matter what, wait list,guarantee,etc. No downside and many up . Get one that gives a discount too. Can google TA s that handle luxury lines, O inc..Then I deal with same agent,ck,on my own the best deal avail,and ask for THAT.

Never did for first few yrs.and heard about above deals, checked it out,then have been using one since.They handle all the paperwork,details,etc.BUt I check everything out,just to make sure I m getting best deal.

Edited by alexandra cruiser

no matter what, wait list,guarantee,etc. No downside and many up . Get one that gives a discount too. Can google TA s that handle luxury lines, O inc..Then I deal with same agent,ck,on my own the best deal avail,and ask for THAT.

Never did for first few yrs.and heard about above deals, checked it out,then have been using one since.They handle all the paperwork,details,etc.BUt I check everything out,just to make sure I m getting best deal.

No downside to using an agent....but huge down side to booking a wait list..like you are likely to get nothing. I see that as being a rather large potential downside. agent or none.

I agree that for a waitlist it makes no difference whether you are using an agent or not so personally I would use an agent.

And not unlike Hawaiidan I never seen any value to a waitlist; except in two circumstances.

1. You want to travel with friends who are already booked and this is the only way you might possibly get on the same cruise.

2. You are already booked on the cruise but but not in your preferred category so then additionally get waitlisted in the preferred category.

Otherwise there are downsides to being waitlisted. The cost of last-minute flights, can't book excursion in advance, don't know if you're even going so might be passing up other opportunities, and you don't know what the final price will be.

If your waitlist number comes up and you are presented with an offer from O, wait lists are filled at the current selling price so it could be higher than when you waitlisted it or it is now missing promotional offers.

Granted you're not forced to take it but you're putting a deposit down on a trip that you might never take and at a final price that you won't know until/if it's even offered to you.

Also as JimandStan advised, if you're considering a waitlist make sure you pay a deposit on it and do this early so you'll be as high on the priority list as possible.

GTY's, even with O where the price is not reduced unlike many other lines, I understand and I like them. Waitlist not so much.

I would add that you also need to check availability in your category daily (or more) after you do your waitlist.

We were waitlisted for a particular category on our next cruise and never received a call once there was availability. I had booked the waitlist directly with O. So I picked an agent with good perks and booked with her.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

So a question in relation to this, we are booked on a GTY. Our current cabin category is showing as wait listed, but there is plenty of availability for higher grade cabins. Does this mean (and our cruise is a long way off so I realise a lot can change) that people will go onto the wait list for our category, they will take our GTY space and we have more of a chance of being bumped up a grade? To give more info, we are booked in a C grade deluxe oceanview, of which I understand there are only 20 or so on our ship , Marina. TIA :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So a question in relation to this, we are booked on a GTY. Our current cabin category is showing as wait listed, but there is plenty of availability for higher grade cabins. Does this mean (and our cruise is a long way off so I realise a lot can change) that people will go onto the wait list for our category, they will take our GTY space and we have more of a chance of being bumped up a grade? To give more info, we are booked in a C grade deluxe oceanview, of which I understand there are only 20 or so on our ship , Marina. TIA :)

Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe some will and others not. No way of knowing. You will get at least as good as you paid for. Maybe more, never less.

Also you don't know how many are on the wait list. And even if you did, you don't know how many of those are waitlisted in more than one category. So even if 10 were on the list, by the time the sailing happens maybe 5 cabins open and 2 on the waitlist decline, 1 has already cancelled, 1 has accepted a wait list offer on a different category and 5 are duplicates so that takes care of 9 on the waitlist, 1 takes a cabin and that leaves 4 for the GTYs. (apologies in advance for any math errors - just describing a possible scenario)

It is all just speculation. Some, me included, find the 'where will they put me' added anticipation for the cruise and so will book a GTY. Others want to choose their cabin and will never book a GTY.

Cheers, we are perfectly content with our GTY choice, waiting to hear cabin allocation never really bothers me - al part of the excitement for the holiday. We've never encountered waitlists .. seems to add an extreme level of unexpectedness!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When we booked our cruise, all the suite cats were on Wait list. We booked with a TA and put a deposit down and we were moved from Wait list to Gty in 2 days. We got a cabin assignment a few days after we received the cruise guide. We're happy with our cabin location, so for us, booking a Wait list worked well. It's the only time we were ever on Wait, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

We have a GTY for an Oceanview on the Marina for January 5th. We booked and paid for this cruise at least 6 months ago. We have not been assigned a cabin. The O website shows every category as wait listed. This is our first O cruise. I realize we are guaranteed a cabin on the ship. My concern is that we might be put in an h/c accessible cabin. I would appreciate any comments from the O veterans.

My concern is that we might be put in an h/c accessible cabin. I would appreciate any comments from the O veterans.

Sure you might, unless handicapped people have booked them first

From the prospect of the Cruise Line, the whole object of offering a Gaurantee is that flexability.

They get to to fill every cabin on the ship most efficiently, the Passenger gets to sail on a cruise which might otherwise not have space in their desired category.

We have a GTY for an Oceanview on the Marina for January 5th. We booked and paid for this cruise at least 6 months ago. We have not been assigned a cabin. The O website shows every category as wait listed. This is our first O cruise. I realize we are guaranteed a cabin on the ship. My concern is that we might be put in an h/c accessible cabin. I would appreciate any comments from the O veterans.

No wonder I recently got a move over on from that cruise. They want to give you my room.

You understand that "wait list" is pretty much like playing craps and betting on the "come line".... no guarantee of anything but a chance to possibly get a cabin... or get nothing.

I used to bet this way in past years...but not now guarantees are even getting few and far between Wait list are way down the line of luck and the odds are not all that good

Me, personally I would not in this day and age rely on getting a cabin wit a wait list..

You do know that "don't come" is the safer bet?

My concern is that we might be put in an h/c accessible cabin. I would appreciate any comments from the O veterans.

You may also get a Concierge cabin or a cabin near the bow

If the H/C cabin is left & you are next to get an assignment you could be the lucky winner of that cabin

You may not find out until you get to the check in counter

That is the problem with a GTY you never know where you will sleep

What is the concern with being assigned a h/c accessible cabin?

I only booked a waitlist once, and that was after I booked an actual cabin, and the waitlist was for a PH. It didn't happen. Got the cabin I booked. When I booked the waitlist, I was told I was #23 on the waitlist! I was surprised that they waitlisted that many people. :eek:

Part of the waitlist game is when you book it. If one books the waitlist far ahead of final payment due date, the odds increase. If one wants to waitlist after that time, odds severely decrease. Also, in the calculations is the factor of how popular is that cruise. For the single one I waitlisted on, it was the only O cruise of the year with that itinenary, and a very popular cruise. I waitlisted 17 months in advance, and was still way too late! If you're waitlisting for a Carribe cruise, your chances will probably be better!

thanks. I guess that water is from a 'roll in' shower. Did not think of water splashed about the washroom. Sounds like a shower in Italy. many smaller hotels, pensione, even homes tile the whole room, have no / minimal shower curtain and a drain in the middle of the room. Always a very clean room :)

Thanks for the replies. One additional data point: Oceania was able to tell me how many people were on the "deposited" wait list but not how many were on the "non-deposited" list.

As I understand it "deposited waitlist" has priority over ones without a deposit

If you book after final payment you may have less chance of clearing either list unless you are # 1 or 2 ;)

You do know that "don't come" is the safer bet?

Wait lists stand a better chance of loosing than winning. Its a sucker bet im my book.. Guarantee or better.

However, if you get a guarantee oceanview dont even dream of getting a Penthouse or some prime cabin. Those cabins sell out first, and demand is VERY high

Too dont expect getting a cabin out of your general class of cabin IE A inside might get a ocean view and an ocean view might get a lower veranda and A concierige might get a PH.