ATMs Santiago and Buenos Aires

SWANOZ

Just wondering if anyone has experience using ATMs in Santiago and Bueno Aires. How much could you withdraw? Did they have enough money in Them? I have read that people have had trouble in Buenos Aires that most of the ATMs were closed and had no money in them. I have a Citibank debit card. Thanks Jennifer

Edited by SWANOZ
Spelling

What's worrying me is our cruise starts in Valparaiso and ends in Buenos Aires, so there's no opportunity to use the airport bank in BA for Argentine Pesos. Compound that with the fact that US banks don't sell them, so it appears that the only options are to buy from an online currency exchange before we leave or try to find an ATM in Ushuaia. Anybody know if you can buy Argentine Pesos at the airport bank in Santiago?

Yes travelex is expensive, but even if you use you ATM card in SA you will pay the visa or MasterCard exchange rate.

So the Travelex added cost is the difference between them and visa and MasterCard. The question then is travelex worth the convenience or peace of mind.

Edited by tcdcruiser

Before you go....

I have used this firm several times. They ship foreign cash (no problem) and you can buy a preloaded atm card in your currency (PEN, ARS, CPL) of choice. You can even reload the atm card while traveling.

https://www.travelex.com/cash-passport/multi-currency-cash-passport

Travelex has terrible exchange rates.

If you have a Bank of America account or credit card (or Wells Fargo), they have much better rates for purchasing foreign money.

In Chile, ATMS are not a problem (at least they weren't in 2014). In Argentina, since the government has removed currency controls and the currency floated, there is not black (blue) market for Pesos. Therefore, you should do fine with using credit cards for purchase. Also, you can probably pay for tours with US dollars. You would still need a little Argentine money for taxis, etc.

What's worrying me is our cruise starts in Valparaiso and ends in Buenos Aires, so there's no opportunity to use the airport bank in BA for Argentine Pesos. Compound that with the fact that US banks don't sell them, so it appears that the only options are to buy from an online currency exchange before we leave or try to find an ATM in Ushuaia. Anybody know if you can buy Argentine Pesos at the airport bank in Santiago?

Simple= there are banks in Ushuaia right along San Martin. I again, just used one last month.

What's worrying me is our cruise starts in Valparaiso and ends in Buenos Aires, so there's no opportunity to use the airport bank in BA for Argentine Pesos.

There is a bank in the terminal building where your cruise ends....in Buenos Aires.

They were busy doing currency exchange when I was there 3 weeks ago.

In Buenos Aires now. ATM's no problem. There is a fee, but since the peso is now floating there is no problem with rates.

3 weeks ago the ATM's that we tried in Buenos Aires were either inoperative or out of cash.

Even locals were in line at banks to get cash.

Repeating an earlier post, the most reliable way to get Argentine pesos is to take cash and have the exchange made at a bank.

Final note: credit cards worked very well at venues that accepted them.

Edited by thinfool

• 2 weeks later...
Travelex has terrible exchange rates.

If you have a Bank of America account or credit card (or Wells Fargo), they have much better rates for purchasing foreign money.

In Chile, ATMS are not a problem (at least they weren't in 2014). In Argentina, since the government has removed currency controls and the currency floated, there is not black (blue) market for Pesos. Therefore, you should do fine with using credit cards for purchase. Also, you can probably pay for tours with US dollars. You would still need a little Argentine money for taxis, etc.

Bank of America is not selling Argentine Pesos.

Thank you everyone. I have a little of both currencies to take with us and usd as well for the cruise excursions. Good to hear the ATMs in Argentina are okay now.

Jennifer

The problem with ATM's in Argentina is that the local bank charges a hefty fee for withdrawals in addition to any foreign transaction fees imposed by whoever issued your credit card. They limit they amount you can withdraw per transaction, which forces you to make multiple withdrawals with multiple transaction fees. The fees greatly reduce the effective rate of exchange.

Also, be aware that on weekends ATM's may run out of money.

The problem with ATM's in Argentina is that the local bank charges a hefty fee for withdrawals in addition to any foreign transaction fees imposed by whoever issued your credit card. They limit they amount you can withdraw per transaction, which forces you to make multiple withdrawals with multiple transaction fees. The fees greatly reduce the effective rate of exchange.

Also, be aware that on weekends ATM's may run out of money.

You need to update your traveling and get ATM cards without fees.

You need to update your traveling and get ATM cards without fees.

Fees come from the banks that own the ATM's not the bank that issues the card. Simply getting a non fee card won't work unless your card issuer reimburses for fees charged by foreign banks.

Fees come from the banks that own the ATM's not the bank that issues the card. Simply getting a non fee card won't work unless your card issuer reimburses for fees charged by foreign banks.

Yep- MINE sure does. I don't pay ANY fees, all are refunded. As I said- maybe update your traveling style?

Wish they had cards like that in Oz never heard of any bank reimbursing fees!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mine does not charge an international transaction fee but does not reimburse for fees charged by local banks that operate ATM's.