Tuxes and gowns?

ARI421

First Royal Carribean cruise on the Granduer in January.. I know people don't tend to dress for the formal nights anymore. I had hoped that RC would have a better percentage of formal wear that Carnival or NCL.. Any thoughts on this? I would love to dress up but hubby would feel weird if there wasn't at lease a few other tuxes..

Definitely not as formal any more. Have not sailed the Grandeur for many years. Last cruise for me was the Serenade earlier this year. Definitely tuxs, dark suits for men; no ball gowns, but cocktail dresses, pants and glitzy tops on ladies. This was a 10-day cruise therefore an older, more experienced cruisers.

If you enjoy dressing up I would say go for it and enjoy the cruise.

... I would love to dress up but hubby would feel weird if there wasn't at lease a few other tuxes..

Don't let what others aren't wearing discourage him from wearing his tux if he really wants to. Enjoy your Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

First Royal Carribean cruise on the Granduer in January.. I know people don't tend to dress for the formal nights anymore. I had hoped that RC would have a better percentage of formal wear that Carnival or NCL.. Any thoughts on this? I would love to dress up but hubby would feel weird if there wasn't at lease a few other tuxes..

not on GR or her itineraries. there will be a couple, not many, who go whole hog. the vast majority will be slacks and jackets for the guys( ties are hit or miss) and cocktail dresses for the ladies.

I bring a gown and a cocktail dress, and DH wears a suit both times, no tux. He doesn't own one, and renting hasn't seemed worth the hassle. My gowns are usually column gowns, not anything too poofy and no trains so nobody will step on my dress (including me).

Why on earth would hubby feel weird, even if he were the only cruiser in the MDR wearing a tux? This is almost a reverse dress code thread.

I can't imagine, for the life of me, why what anyone else in the dining room

is wearing could have any effect at all on one's dining experience.

I would echo the same sentiment to the uppity diners who shun the casual dressers. Who spends any time looking at what other cruisers are wearing in the dining room anyway?

Tell your hubby to wear that tux and wear it proud. He'll look great!

Harvey

The only place my husband can wear his tux is on a cruise ship so he does. I like the view across the table when he wears it. 😊 And no, he's never been the only one wearing a tux on formal night....not that it really matters. He dresses to please himself and me and THAT'S what it's all about!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

We always dress, he always packs his tux and I always pack my long formal dresses. Never feel over dressed at least on our trips. Even so, it's our vacation and we like to dress up so we do [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We mostly cruise Grandeur and DH always wears a tux for formal night. LO is almost 20 months old and wears a tux or suit. I still have too much baby weight for my gowns, so cocktail dresses right now.

There's always someone else in a tux, but people will comment on how nice he looks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may see a few but not like before.

I always wear a long gown and Dh wears a tux. He rents it from the ship and it's always in the closet waiting for him and the price is reasonable. We don't worry about others. We are never overdressed. We just look better then everyone else that didn't dress for the occasion [emoji6]

We are British and like dressing up. I will have my tux and my wife will have a good dress. I have a white dinner jacket as well as a black one and will wear a different one if there are two formal nights on a cruise.

On our last cruise on the Independence in November, my wife was complemented by different passengers on her dress on different nights.

She takes a different outfit for each night.