Explorer dress code/Panama Canal

wave18

Dress code is a difficult issue and can easily turn ugly. So, rather than telling you what I think or how my DH dresses, I'm going to post Regent's policy below (you probably have seen this already -- it is from their website). The dress code does not change based on which ship you are on or what part of the world you are in (perhaps because the temperatures inside of the ship does not change).

Just follow the dress code and you'll be fine:

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required. On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the Elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

Edited by Travelcat2

In our experience, fifty percent of the people dress more formally than the dress code. I would take the blazer and stick the tie in your suitcase since it weighs nothing. This way you can wear it if you so desire.

Note: If you are flying to your destination Business Class, you can wear your blazer and the flight attendant will hang it up for you during the flight - no need to pack it.

P.S. IMO, it is opinions like mine and the one above that can cause issues based on different experiences. Again, if you just follow the guidelines in Regent's dress code, you'll be fine.

I would take the blazer and stick the tie in your suitcase since it weighs nothing.

I will be on this cruise, and will not be taking a jacket or tie. It is up to you whether or not to do so.

I certainly recall when both were required, and am so happy that that is no longer true. I found it bizarre that the way I dressed to lecture to 1000 (literally) undergraduate students at the University of Toronto was not acceptable on the ships.

But, men who choose to dress like that are in no way ostracized.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

I guess that the bottom line is what makes you comfortable or uncomfortable. For instance, at the Captain's Reception, the majority of the men wear sports jackets while some men wear suits (particularly those from Europe as this seems to be what they are used to). Passengers in specialty restaurants also tend to dress up more. If you are comfortable not wearing a jacket, by all means don't wear one.

Note: I am basing my comments specifically for the Explorer which, IMO, has more people that dress up than on our previous Regent cruises (we have done three cruises on the Explorer with one more coming up in March). Not sure if people are dressing up more because it is a new ship or ??? Your cruise is 15 nights so there is likely no "formal optional night" but the Explorer cruise before yours is 16 nights and has 2 "formal optional" nights. People on that cruises Roll Call are talking about packing gowns, tuxes, etc. This is something that I haven't seen discussed on Regent since the "Elegant Casual" dress code went into effect. Maybe folks feel that when sailing on the "most luxurious ship ever built", they should dress up.

Edited by Travelcat2

For the mid-January sailing through the Panama Canal, will a blue blazer/tie be adequate for all of the evenings? Very hot weather anticipated.

I'm on the New Year's PC cruise so I'm taking a tux (at least 2 'Formal Optional' nights); otherwise it is Blazer or blue sport coat for specialty restaurants. Tie/solid shirt packed as contingency but may never be worn. Several light sweaters packed as the dining venues, the theater and aft deck at La Verandah get cold for me. Otherwise it's long sleeve shirts and dress slacks.

TC you love to perpetuate the dress code policy. I have never seen the word policy written on any cruise line including Regent. Recommended dress code or the attire for the evening is....fill in the blanks but never heard that it is a Regent's policy. Policy belongs to crew members in their handbook and passenger safety or things that are not permitted onboard by crew or guests.

I guess that the bottom line is what makes you comfortable or uncomfortable. For instance, at the Captain's Reception, the majority of the men wear sports jackets while some men wear suits (particularly those from Europe as this seems to be what they are used to). Passengers in specialty restaurants also tend to dress up more. If you are comfortable not wearing a jacket, by all means don't wear one.

Note: I am basing my comments specifically for the Explorer which, IMO, has more people that dress up than on our previous Regent cruises (we have done three cruises on the Explorer with one more coming up in March). Not sure if people are dressing up more because it is a new ship or ??? Your cruise is 15 nights so there is likely no "formal optional night" but the Explorer cruise before yours is 16 nights and has 2 "formal optional" nights. People on that cruises Roll Call are talking about packing gowns, tuxes, etc. This is something that I haven't seen discussed on Regent since the "Elegant Casual" dress code went into effect. Maybe folks feel that when sailing on the "most luxurious ship ever built", they should dress up.

The most luxurious ship ever built is a laughable comment is your opinion. When one has not spent any time on Seabourn or Crystal. We will be on the new Seabourn Encore next year. We have heard that it is very elegant and not glitzy like the Explorer and the Ovation will be out in 2018

Edited by Suite Travels

We're actually going to be on Mariner not Explorer, David missed that. But the dress code is the same.

Turns out we'll be in port with Explorer, in Cartagena I believe. Do you think they'll have visiting between the ships?

If you contact Regent now, it may be doable! I think that you will find the new ship different but lovely. Wish you could see the "regular" suites as they are amazing!

Silver Sweethearts: Always appreciate your comments and insight. I've learned over the years (finally) that some comments are not worth responding to.

Edited by Travelcat2

If you contact Regent now, it may be doable! I think that you will find the new ship different but lovely. Wish you could see the "regular" suites as they are amazing!

Silver Sweethearts: Always appreciate your comments and insight. I've learned over the years (finally) that some comments are not worth responding to.

Oh, I don't think it's worth it to actually request a visit.

Back in the "old days", the Paul Gauguin and Mariner were in port together in Bora Bora, and there were organized tenders between the two ships, allowing anyone who wanted to visit. So those days are gone?

Oh, I don't think it's worth it to actually request a visit.

Back in the "old days", the Paul Gauguin and Mariner were in port together in Bora Bora, and there were organized tenders between the two ships, allowing anyone who wanted to visit. So those days are gone?

IMO, it is worth it. I had to get permission to visit Oceania's Nautica. It wasn't a big deal but, IMO, it was important to see the ship...... a ship that I would never sail on. The same thing happened when I visited one of Silverseas smaller ships (but didn't need permission - both ships were open to visiting the other). It saved me $$$ by not booking it to try it out.

Hopefully your feelings about the Explorer would not be negative!

Turns out we'll be in port with Explorer, in Cartagena I believe. Do you think they'll have visiting between the ships?

From what we can find, the Mariner will be in port from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. The Explorer will be there from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Don't know if the window of opportunity will be big enough, but no harm in asking. We will be on the Explorer, but wouldn't mind taking a look at the Mariner again if the visits were worked both ways. Please let us know what you learn.

From what we can find, the Mariner will be in port from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. The Explorer will be there from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Don't know if the window of opportunity will be big enough, but no harm in asking. We will be on the Explorer, but wouldn't mind taking a look at the Mariner again if the visits were worked both ways. Please let us know what you learn.

You're probably right, but I will ask onboard. Of course, we have an excursion scheduled so there may not be time, as you say.

For the mid-January sailing through the Panama Canal, will a blue blazer/tie be adequate for all of the evenings? Very hot weather anticipated.

I just checked the current temperatures which should help in deciding what to pack.

As of 12:19 PM (EST)

Miami—81F

Key West—83F

Cartegena—90F

Golfito—84F

Puntarenas—87F

Puerto Corinto—89F

Puerto Quetzal—94F

Acapulco—86F

Cabo San Lucas—75F

San Diego—53F

Los Angeles—54F