Advice on water shoes?

vegasdriven

I have a pair of Merrells with removable insoles--kind of like these only more like a closed toe sports sandal with nylon instead of suede: http://www.zappos.com/merrell-circuit-mj-breeze-taupe

They work great for walking, and also double as reef shoes. They dry almost instantly without the insole. I'd try finding something like that.

Water shoes are easy to buy in any port in Florida. You may or may not be able to find them in ports in the Caribbean or Mexico then they may or may not have your size. If you don't have water shoes, bring along old athletic shoes (the kind you use for yard work and don't care about.)

Trying to travel lite, so considering water socks as opposed to water shoes. Any opinions. Also, is this something that could be picked up in transit. I have left it too late to order online.

Hi

You don't really need water shoes unless you are going to be going to a very rocky beach. Unless you know that is the case, the lightest travel choice would be to not bring any.

I would imagine that you can find them at most any Walmart if you chose to get them.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

You don't really need water shoes unless you are going to be going to a very rocky beach. Unless you know that is the case, the lightest travel choice would be to not bring any.

I would imagine that you can find them at most any Walmart if you chose to get them.

Unless you plan on doing an excursion like Dunns River Falls in Jamaica that absolutely mandates them - in that case, yea, hit Walmart.

Trying to travel lite, so considering water socks as opposed to water shoes. Any opinions. Also, is this something that could be picked up in transit. I have left it too late to order online.

Leave them both at home, neither is needed.

Thanks all for the quick responses. Windstar recommends them due to some wet landings. We depart from St Maarten

The recommendation is so that you will have shoes to wear ashore, not for use in the water. Very different than what I thought with your first post. IN that case I would take sandals that I can get wet since you are likely to have them along anyway.

Buy nice rather than the cheapest water shoes you can find. Make sure there are no rough edges inside. Your feet will thank you! :)

Water shoes are light weight and take up very little space.

LuLu

I need to buy a pair as well because I bought some cheap Walmart ones and they cut up my feet bad!

Don't cheap out, spend at least 30.00 and I find water shoes necessary almost always

Even at the airport beach in Maho to private islands, my feet can find the sharp rocks and get cut up! Better to be protected than spend your whole cruise getting salt water in wounds! It's not fun, trust me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a pair of Sketchers water shoes. They look like an athletic shoe. They are very light and comfortable to wear all day wether in the water or walking around. I think they were about $35.00. I considered them a good investment. My husband bought a $10 pair at a Walgreen. He said they weren't comfortable at all and didn't hold up well.

Lands End makes a pair of water shoes that you can wear all day comfortably. Here is a link to a color that is on clearance right now, but they have several choices. They have a wonderful guarantee but I have been using mine for years without a problem. These are MUCH better for crossing a rocky river than the cheap ones from Walmart ( btdt).

I love my Keens. I have a pair that I have had for 7 years or so. I have worn them to work in the summer, all over the islands on a cruise, all over Puerto Rico for a week and just last week all over Paradise Island. They still look good and I have never had a blister or sore feet whether I wear them wet or dry.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/women/whisper

Lands End makes a pair of water shoes that you can wear all day comfortably. Here is a link to a color that is on clearance right now, but they have several choices. They have a wonderful guarantee but I have been using mine for years without a problem. These are MUCH better for crossing a rocky river than the cheap ones from Walmart ( btdt).

I was going to recommend Lands End water shoes. I've been using the same pair for ... oh, could it be a decade? I know I bought them on clearance (plus mine are child sized), so they weren't expensive. They're kind of cute; they're blue Mary Janes.

True, you probably don't NEED them for a typical beach trip, but I like having them in the water at places like Labadee -- some of their beaches are rocky. You do a lot of walking on vacation, so this isn't the time to risk cutting your foot.