Spring break?

Jo-Bob

Spring break runs from early March to mid April (roughly through Easter). The week's very from school to school, state to state but cover almost 6-7 weeks in total.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was going to say mid-March through mid-April. Back in the day, it used to be the week before Easter (colleges & public schools) and the week after Easter (Catholic schools) where I grew up. But, with schools doing quarter or semester, having the track system, it has grown to a weeks-long practice.

If you can wait until the end of April, things have pretty much died down I have noticed.

It is different for many schools, etc,

Just google ----> spring break usa 2018

Remember, google is the first place to go for info.....

Yes, thank you, I think. Perhaps I should have mentioned having done my own search via google, etc, etc. The info gathered was varied and vague and not specific enough for my needs. I've learned it can and does cover a multi-week time frame, which helps me narrow things down. After a long absence from here, thought I would come back and see if I could get a more defined answer.

Thanks to those who offered.

Edited by Jo-Bob

I was going to say mid-March through mid-April. Back in the day, it used to be the week before Easter (colleges & public schools) and the week after Easter (Catholic schools) where I grew up. But, with schools doing quarter or semester, having the track system, it has grown to a weeks-long practice.

If you can wait until the end of April, things have pretty much died down I have noticed.

Yes. I was trying to err on the side of caution with early March, but mid March may be more accurate. I seem to remember public schools in April, and colleges in March, but then we also used to have a week off in Feb to save on oil. But my son has break in March, and my niece has 3 weeks off in March. Crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

U of MI Spring Break February 25 - March 5, 2017.

U of GA Spring Break March 4 - 12, 2017.

FSU Spring Break March 11 - 19, 2017.

Miami U (OH) Spring Break March 18 - 26, 2017.

Brown U Spring Break March 25 - April 2, 2017.

Cornell U Spring Break April 1 - 9, 2017.

SUNY Binghampton Spring Break April 8 - 16, 2017.

Miami Dade CC Spring Break April 17 - 23, 2017.

Hi all..

Does anyone know when Spring Break typically is in the US? Looking at cruise for spring of 2018 and would like to avoid the crush if we can.

Many thanks.

For universities it can be anytime in March but HAL is not a cruise line for that age group. School age children in the US typically have extended spring vacations around the Easter holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For universities it can be anytime in March but HAL is not a cruise line for that age group. School age children in the US typically have extended spring vacations around the Easter holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our thoughts too :). In fact, if there were a Spring Break for Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Centers...that would have a much bigger impact on HAL.

Hank

New England, and possibly other places in the northeast US, also have a winter vacation approximately mid-February. By the time that ends, you're heading straight on into the traditional spring break season. And yes, it is a full season when you consider how it is placed on the calendar.

The last time we cruised in the spring break time frame we selected an eight day cruise that departed mid week from San Diego.

It was a Carnival cruise, our first. Turned out to be one of our favorites. The

timing seemed to work. No party animals.

Turned out to be one of our most enjoyable cruises and it made us realize that Carnival has a very good product if you select the right ship and the right itinerary to meet your preferences. Excellent food and service.

Yes, thank you, I think. Perhaps I should have mentioned having done my own search via google, etc, etc. The info gathered was varied and vague and not specific enough for my needs. I've learned it can and does cover a multi-week time frame, which helps me narrow things down. After a long absence from here, thought I would come back and see if I could get a more defined answer.

Thanks to those who offered.

Here's a suggestion. Go to one or more of the less expensive cruise lines. Carnival for example. Look for four or five day cruises that tempt young college kids. Look for variations in price. If there are a few higher priced cruises, then those are the periods the cruise line expects an influx of college students. The lower priced periods will correspond to dates the cruise line doesn't expect college students or children.

Then book a Holland cruise in the periods corresponding to the lower prices.

We took a cruise in late March a few years ago, actually B2Bs on different cruise lines. One issue we ran into was high air fares and even higher hotel rates. We had to be creative on that front.

One of the cruises was on Celebrity Constellation, a 14 night itinerary and there were zero spring breakers. The follow-on to that cruise was on Carnival Liberty, 7 nights, shared with family who invited us to join them as they were onboard for a friend's wedding. That cruise had tons of families, multi-generational, maybe related to spring break. Not so much college kids but large family groups.

Our biggest problem with cruising that time of year was the air and hotel pricing. YMMV. m--

U of MI Spring Break February 25 - March 5, 2017.

U of GA Spring Break March 4 - 12, 2017.

FSU Spring Break March 11 - 19, 2017.

Miami U (OH) Spring Break March 18 - 26, 2017.

Brown U Spring Break March 25 - April 2, 2017.

Cornell U Spring Break April 1 - 9, 2017.

SUNY Binghampton Spring Break April 8 - 16, 2017.

Miami Dade CC Spring Break April 17 - 23, 2017.

This is just a snapshot - but it shows that from early March through late April there will be Spring breakers around. The Winter breaks usually fall around the second and third weeks of February, and many colleges don't end Christmas breaks until mid January.

Probably the third and fourth weeks of January, the first and last weeks of February, and the last week in April are the times to avoid vacationing students - many colleges end their years by May 1, so then you will hit Summer break.

New England, and possibly other places in the northeast US, also have a winter vacation approximately mid-February. By the time that ends, you're heading straight on into the traditional spring break season. And yes, it is a full season when you consider how it is placed on the calendar.

Ruth - my hotels have called that mid-February break "Presidents' Week". Used to be maybe a 3 day weekend for Lincoln's or Washington's Birthdays, but it has morphed into a week in many places. It is probably the 2nd busiest week we see each year - every room filled, hordes of kids...

We took a cruise in late March a few years ago, actually B2Bs on different cruise lines. One issue we ran into was high air fares and even higher hotel rates. We had to be creative on that front.

One of the cruises was on Celebrity Constellation, a 14 night itinerary and there were zero spring breakers. The follow-on to that cruise was on Carnival Liberty, 7 nights, shared with family who invited us to join them as they were onboard for a friend's wedding. That cruise had tons of families, multi-generational, maybe related to spring break. Not so much college kids but large family groups.

Our biggest problem with cruising that time of year was the air and hotel pricing. YMMV. m--

The problems with College Spring Break usually do not translate to cruise lines that cater to a more, ahem, mature clientele. College kids usually can't afford, nor want to, be on such ships. They'll take those 3-5 day trips our of Florida or the short ones out of Southern California. The "family packs" of the groups of families will be more prevalent I imagine on a longer Spring Break-time cruise. The problem everyone else who cruises is, as you state, hotel and airfare pricing. Those kids and families have to fly and stay somewhere. Flying into the airports in So FL to get to the beaches for Break, or flying to LA or SD to get to Mexico is why those prices are high. They have to stay somewhere, so those hotels by ports and beaches want premium pricing.

Ruth - my hotels have called that mid-February break "Presidents' Week". Used to be maybe a 3 day weekend for Lincoln's or Washington's Birthdays, but it has morphed into a week in many places.

Going back decades, long before there even was a "Presidents Day" holiday (it was Washington's Birthday on February 22), we had a 1-week winter vacation in New England around that time.

Spring break comes about 8 weeks later---in the spring. The school year starts and ends later up here than some other places do, and that's one reason spring break covers such a long period of time.

When we checked for our cruise we discovered that it covered almost a two month time frame.
Precisely right.

Atlanta City Schools February 17-21 and April 1-9

New York City Schools February 18-26 and April 8-18

New Orleans Schools February 24 - March 2 and April 13-18

Knox County Schools March 11-19

Orlando and St. Louis Schools March 18-26