Pre-Cruise Visit to the USS Iowa

LarryL

I would, very much, like to get some input on a pre-cruise visit to the USS Iowa, in Long Beach, on the day of embarkation. It is a short walk from pier 93around a 1/3 mile.

1. Did you feel you had ample time to see the ship?

2. Was re-entering the cruise ship an issue with people embarking?

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Seeing the USS Iowa is very convenient--it shares the parking lot with the cruise terminal. No problem reboarding the ship, but it comes down to how much time you leave yourself. Two hours aboard the Iowa is enough. If driving, it would be easier to leave your stuff in your car and see the Iowa first, then board the cruise ship. Boarding the cruise ship and leaving your stuff there, then visiting the Iowa, then re-boarding your cruise can be done, but it might take a total of an additional hour.

Yes, that's right. It's not in Long Beach, but San Pedro. You can see it from your Princess ship. You'll pass it on your way out to sea on your starboard side. It used to be on the other side of the ship but has been in this location for a few years. It's definitely within walking distance. There are Coke machines on the top deck in case you get thirsty. (I had to mention it - it just looks so incongruous next to the huge guns. :D )

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

We visited the Iowa last year. We got to the port earlier than usual and parked near the cruise ship leaving our bags in the trunk. Then we walked over to the Iowa. We mentioned we were on a cruise and by showing our cruise tickets we got a two for one admission special. We spent about 2-3 hours on the ship then walked back to our car, got our bags and checked in for our cruise. It was great and I highly recommend visiting the ship.

I would, very much, like to get some input on a pre-cruise visit to the USS Iowa, in Long Beach, on the day of embarkation. It is a short walk from pier 93around a 1/3 mile.

Located right next to the Princess pier in San Pedro, not Long Beach

It takes about 2 1/2 hours to do the self tour. You are required to go up and down very steep ladder style staircases. If you can't handle that skip the visit. There can be a waiting line to get on the Iowa.

You can drop your luggage around 9:30 at the terminal, then take the short walk over to the Iowa. You shouldn't have any problem with time. Check in at the ship after you tour the Iowa.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

See above

Just to be clear the USS Iowa museum, and the cruise terminal Princess embarks at, are both at the World Cruise Center on the LA Waterfront/Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, not Long Beach.

Yes, that's right. It's not in Long Beach, but San Pedro. You can see it from your Princess ship. You'll pass it on your way out to sea on your starboard side. It used to be on the other side of the ship but has been in this location for a few years. It's definitely within walking distance. There are Coke machines on the top deck in case you get thirsty. (I had to mention it - it just looks so incongruous next to the huge guns. :D )

Thanks for clarifying the proper location. We're staying in Long Beach, very close to the pier. :)

The Coke machines would seem out of place. It would be nice if they were "vintage".

Thanks for clarifying the proper location. We're staying in Long Beach, very close to the pier. :)

The Coke machines would seem out of place. It would be nice if they were "vintage".

If you are staying in Long Beach you will be about 8 to 10 miles away from the San Pedro pier, not close to the pier. It is about a 20 min. taxi ride. Do you have Long Beach confused with San Pedro? They are different cities. Princess sails from/to the World Cruise Terminal in San Pedro.

Since you're staying in Long Beach...you'll be taking a shuttle or a taxi to the port??

If you take a shuttle or taxi, you can drop off your luggage fairly early (as stated above), but you'll still have your carry-on bags with you (unless you don't have any). That would be awkward.

If you plan to check in, board, drop off your carry-ons and leave the ship, that will take a huge chunk of time out of your tour.

There doesn't seem to be a "good" way to do what you plan without having a car to park in the port parking lot.

BUT!!:D If you change your hotel to the DoubleTree in San Pedro, you could take the earliest shuttle over to the port, walk to the Iowa, do your tour, walk back to the shuttle stop, take the shuttle back to the hotel (be sure to tell the driver what your plans are ahead of time), then grab your luggage and take the shuttle back to the port.

I know you can do this, because we met a lady sitting outside the port last year who had arrived waaay too early due to her TAs poor planning, anyway she hadn't had breakfast and asked us where she could go. We asked the shuttle driver if he could take her to the hotel for breakfast, he agreed and took her there. DoubleTree is very accommodating.

If you are staying in Long Beach you will be about 8 to 10 miles away from the San Pedro pier, not close to the pier. It is about a 20 min. taxi ride. Do you have Long Beach confused with San Pedro? They are different cities. Princess sails from/to the World Cruise Terminal in San Pedro.

6.4 miles from the Westin Hotel in Long Beach, to be more precise. In my world, that's very close. That's less than the short "day hikes" we take in the mountains here. Of course we'll be taking an Uber. :p

See above

It takes about 2 1/2 hours to do the self tour. You are required to go up and down very steep ladder style staircases. If you can't handle that skip the visit. There can be a waiting line to get on the Iowa.

You can drop your luggage around 9:30 at the terminal, then take the short walk over to the Iowa. You shouldn't have any problem with time. Check in at the ship after you tour the Iowa.

Very good to know. Thanks.

Since you're staying in Long Beach...you'll be taking a shuttle or a taxi to the port??

If you take a shuttle or taxi, you can drop off your luggage fairly early (as stated above), but you'll still have your carry-on bags with you (unless you don't have any). That would be awkward.

If you plan to check in, board, drop off your carry-ons and leave the ship, that will take a huge chunk of time out of your tour.

There doesn't seem to be a "good" way to do what you plan without having a car to park in the port parking lot.

BUT!!:D If you change your hotel to the DoubleTree in San Pedro, you could take the earliest shuttle over to the port, walk to the Iowa, do your tour, walk back to the shuttle stop, take the shuttle back to the hotel (be sure to tell the driver what your plans are ahead of time), then grab your luggage and take the shuttle back to the port.

I know you can do this, because we met a lady sitting outside the port last year who had arrived waaay too early due to her TAs poor planning, anyway she hadn't had breakfast and asked us where she could go. We asked the shuttle driver if he could take her to the hotel for breakfast, he agreed and took her there. DoubleTree is very accommodating.

Great points. :) I'll have to talk to DW about a change.

OP really needs to look at a map.

Very good to know. Thanks.

Yes, 2 1/2 hours is plenty of time

I was staying at the Crown Plaza right in San Pedro. We walked to the Iowa. While the Double Tree is a nice hotel it is not within walking distance of the Iowa. We did not re-enter the ship, but if you wish to do that it will not be an issue. Just show your cruise card. You will have to go through security again, but by say 2pm you should go through quickly.

OP really needs to look at a map.

I have. What's your point? The Long Beach city border and pier 93 in San Pedro (technically a Los Angeles neighborhood) are about 2 miles from one another. An honest mistake on my part. Maybe they won't let me on the ship knowing I misstated the location. :eek:

Yes, 2 1/2 hours is plenty of time

I was staying at the Crown Plaza right in San Pedro. We walked to the Iowa. While the Double Tree is a nice hotel it is not within walking distance of the Iowa. We did not re-enter the ship, but if you wish to do that it will not be an issue. Just show your cruise card. You will have to go through security again, but by say 2pm you should go through quickly.

That's even a better option. Thanks again for all your information.

I visited USS Iowa after a cruise and really enjoyed it. It does not take that long to tour the Battleship as much of the tour is a deck tour with access to the main guns, Bridge, Upper decks, Tomahawk and Harpoon missile decks with interiors going into the Captains Cabin, Bridge, Officers Wardroom and a few berthing places with the main cafe at the back. Much of the interior of the ship is closed off with only the highlights open. I think I recall them saying that due to confined spaces and ventilation some closed areas are inaccessible due to the breathing conditions in them and they hope one day to find a solution to that problem.

Being able to tour the ship really makes you appreciate how tough it is. It is only armoured in essential areas saving weight by using non armoured steel in non vital areas. When you step on the bridge you will notice that the helm position is enclosed in extremely thick armour while the bridge casing could easily be blown apart in battle. From what the experts say the USS Iowa has belt armour so think that no modern day missile like the Harpoon or Exocet would be able to penetrate the armoured hull and would break up upon impact. Where as the shells from this ships 16 inch guns could easily sink any modern day warship in a single hit without the ability to shoot down or use decoys for any incoming shell. It is quite amazing that the WWII gunnery firepower of those Battleships is stronger than a modern day anti-ship missile and the shells have more explosive charges than modern missiles.

I have. What's your point? The Long Beach city border and pier 93 in San Pedro (technically a Los Angeles neighborhood) are about 2 miles from one another. An honest mistake on my part. Maybe they won't let me on the ship knowing I misstated the location. :eek:

I meant a detailed map. The route from one dock to the other is complicated, not at all straight forward.

There have been many horror stories reported here over the years about people going to the wrong dock and then missing the ship.

I meant a detailed map. The route from one dock to the other is complicated, not at all straight forward.

There have been many horror stories reported here over the years about people going to the wrong dock and then missing the ship.

Thanks. I am an avid map reader and found that on this trip my walking will be limited to the pier 93 area. I saw that walking would be a nightmare in the port vicinity. We're taking a taxi from airport to hotel and hotel to pier. No aggravation for me. :) Sorry, sometimes written messages can be interpreted the wrong way. :confused:

Thanks. I am an avid map reader and found that on this trip my walking will be limited to the pier 93 area. I saw that walking would be a nightmare in the port vicinity. We're taking a taxi from airport to hotel and hotel to pier. No aggravation for me. :) Sorry, sometimes written messages can be interpreted the wrong way. :confused:

One tip: make sure the driver knows you want to go to San Pedro. With language difficulties sometimes a problem in the area, the driver can become confused and go to the wrong pier. It has happened to me. Twice.

I visited USS Iowa after a cruise and really enjoyed it. Being able to tour the ship really makes you appreciate how tough it is. When you step on the bridge you will notice that the helm position is enclosed in extremely thick armour.

It is quite amazing that the WWII gunnery firepower of those Battleships is stronger than a modern day anti-ship missile and the shells have more explosive charges than modern missiles.

I spent five months doing PR on board the Missouri in the summer/fall of 1995 while it was still in Bremerton, Washington. The steel is 14 inches thick in hull and up to 19 inches thick on the front of the turrets. The armor piercing shells can penetrate 30 FEET of steel reinforced concrete! Hope you enjoy the links below...

The first three links make for some very interesting reading and incredible pics, the last link is to THE BEST documentary ever made on battleships... from the History Channel. (the video automatically starts about four minutes into the program so you need to restart it at the beginning)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa-class_battleship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armament_of_the_Iowa-class_battleship

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=iowa+class+battleships&qpvt=iowa+class+battleships&qpvt=iowa+class+battleships&qpvt=iowa+class+battleships&FORM=IGRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8VYqhvBpL0&t=443s

Edited by teecee60

We stayed overnight at the Crowne Plaza and walked about a block to the Iowa. There is a Mexican Restaurant next to the Iowa that was really good. It was all so easy. We always arrive at least a day before boarding a cruise ship. Highly recommended both the early arrival and visit to the Iowa.

Or you can take Bus 142 Commuter Express from downtown Long Beach Transit Center all the way to San Pedro. It's about a 25 minute ride and stops right in front of the Maritime Museum, next door to the Iowa. That's another attraction you might want to visit if you have ample time before you board.

The cruise-ship terminal is right there, bang across the parking lot. Shuttles going back and forth from the parking lot to the terminal or you can walk, it's an easy 5-10 minute walk.

Bus fare $1.50 adults Seniors 75 cents.

Luggage IS allowed on the bus.

Thanks,

Fred

Edited by nipponcruiser