Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Sadly Dubrovnik has sort of morphed into a sort if Disneyland and there are now extrmeley few people actually living within the walls. At night it is pretty dead. They will plan to reduce the number of larger ships, and I suspect simply control numbers passing through the entrance gates. There will then probably be a backlash from traders when takings drop. It wouldn't suprise me if they imtroduce a high ship tourist tax based on passenger numbers. This would benefit the city and curtail numbers. At the moment the majority of cruise visitors spend virtually no cash so a tax would be a no brainer.

Appreciate these interested pictures and added details for Dubrovnik at night. Yes, these older, historic cities have some challenges with the tourist crowds. Unique love/hate situations if you actually lived there. Plus, for being in these types of buildings that have major code restrictions as to what you can do with your property, the much higher maintenance costs, etc.

Loved the added pictures and details on the BA flight simulator, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,193 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Terry,

Dubrovnik has very few untouched original buildings. Most were rebuilt after 111 direct hits from sea, air and land during ten months of solid bombardment in 1991.

Dubrovnik has been virtually completely rebuilt. Two out of three buildings were hit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D48APGAcvJI

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Terry, Dubrovnik has very few untouched original buildings. Most were rebuilt after 111 direct hits from sea, air and land during ten months of solid bombardment in 1991. Dubrovnik has been virtually completely rebuilt. Two out of three buildings were hit.

Yes, sadly, we learned during our visit as to how bad things were damaged during their war in the early 1990's. You can see "it" from the high mountain views as to the differences in the roofs between the few that are older . . . versus . . . those newer ones done during the re-building. Very tragic as to what happened during those battles not too many years ago. Fortunately, they have done a nice job with the re-build and fixing.

Like the pictures, Lois? Yes, here are more from my files. Dubrovnik makes the photographer look very good and skilled. The credit belong to Dubrovnik and a nice, sunny day. Fortunately when were there, there was only one other smaller ship in port. That made our visit so much more enjoyable. Plus, weather was not too hot, and we some nice breezes, too!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,541 views for this posting.

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town..:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

Here is Fort Lovrijenac or St. Lawrence Fortress. It is often called "Dubrovnik's Gibraltar" for the fortress and theater located outside the western wall of Dubrovnik. It is famous for its importance in resisting rule by Venice. Early in the 11th century the Venetians attempted to build a fort on the same spot where Fort Lovrijenac currently stands. If they had succeeded, they would have kept Dubrovnik under their power, but the people of the city beat them to it.:

DubrovFortStLawrence_zpsa40c675c.jpg

For our lunch at Komarda restaurant, here is the view from our table. Could you ask for a better location on a perfect weather day? It is about 1000 feet just east of the Ploce gate. You can go to this website in order to see lots more about

http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en:

2DubrDiningTableView.jpg

This was one of my seafood dishes, plus some rosotto. Wow!! So wonderful.:

DubrSeafoodAtLunch.jpg

This is a small sampling of the St. Blaise Church Treasury. St. Blaise Church was originally 14th-century Romanesque, but was badly damaged in the 1667 earthquake and finally destroyed by a fire in 1706. The church was rebuilt in its present baroque style between 1706 and 1714. It is devoted to the town's patron saint and protector and is very popular among local residents. This Church was built on the plan of a Greek cross and is topped with a grand dome. Inside the church are numerous art treasures saved from the earlier church, including a gold-plated silver statue of St. Blaise. Here are some of the relics that are paraded through the Old Town on the saint's feast day (February 3).:

DubrGoldInChurchTreasury.jpg

In front of the Rector’s Palace, here is a local music player entertaining for people passing.:

DubrMusicPlayerMuseum.jpg

Jeff

May I prevail upon you for the name of the eatery?

We will be in Dubrovnik until midnight...

We were there last July and I did post a lot of photos of my voyage on the Spirit. La Serenissima called us to the med last year and again this September.

Jeff

May I prevail upon you for the name of the eatery?

We will be in Dubrovnik until midnight...

We were there last July and I did post a lot of photos of my voyage on the Spirit. La Serenissima called us to the med last year and again this September.

Pleasure.

The only restaurant in the world that is called The Taj Mahal that isn't Indian ....... pure Bosnian delights.

https://www.tajmahal-dubrovnik.com/

Hope you get there and enjoy it. They make their own flatbreads daily and I had a lesson. It is similar to Lebanese flat bread and made with yoghurt. I spent most of my time in Dubrovnik thinking of these flatbreads and kept returning.

blogger-image-979822034.jpg

Evening All.....

Thoughts with Cam and Spins for family in Texas....do hope all are safe.

Interesting photos from Dubrovnik.....sadly l will have left the ship before that port but it looks so interesting.

Lois....don't forget to include Wales in your plans....such beautiful scenery and haunting castles to enjoy!

Enjoyed a delightful day out with DD....quiet holiday weekend to enjoy now before the three week cruise countdown begins.....

😊

Greetings Coolers!

Cam...very happy that your family is safe! Hopefully everyone comes out relatively unscathed!

J..your Dubrovnik at night pictures are hauntingly beautiful! I could almost hear the tow pairs of feet ringing on the cobbles!

Miss S. so glad you enjoyed your day!

Have a great evening all!

Pleasure.

The only restaurant in the world that is called The Taj Mahal that isn't Indian ....... pure Bosnian delights.

https://www.tajmahal-dubrovnik.com/

Hope you get there and enjoy it. They make their own flatbreads daily and I had a lesson. It is similar to Lebanese flat bread and made with yoghurt. I spent most of my time in Dubrovnik thinking of these flatbreads and kept returning.

blogger-image-979822034.jpg

Thanks Jeff.

Thank you Mysty and Miss.S. The family is well and, surprisingly, Brownsville and South Padre Island were pretty much spared. Terry, thanks for the restaurant in Dubrovnik tip; hopefully I'll return some day and enjoy their food!

So glad to see this........some of the photos around the affected areas look horrific:eek: and it looks like the rain is STILL coming down

in Texas too........

Thanks all for concerns.

Son in Houston reports no issues as of now. Storm still dumping rain.

Others in Texas have sustained a major hit which continues as the storm has stalled.

Our thoughts are with them for recovery and rebuilding.

We still can't tame Mother Nature!

Even if the storm is named Harvey.

Thank you Mysty and Miss.S. The family is well and, surprisingly, Brownsville and South Padre Island were pretty much spared. Terry, thanks for the restaurant in Dubrovnik tip; hopefully I'll return some day and enjoy their food!

Appreciate this follow-up and update on your family in Texas. Lots of areas there are still getting pounded BIG-TIME by rain. Plus, lots of stiff winds. And, the bad weather is headed towards Louisiana, maybe.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 227,055 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

FromAccuWeather, here is their latest radar view of the storm center being some "stuck" in these areas of Texas and Louisiana. Lots of red and dark red cells are showing. Not a nice visual!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-26%20at%208.25.38%20PM_zpse4w9zr04.png

Son in Houston reports no issues as of now. Storm still dumping rain. Others in Texas have sustained a major hit which continues as the storm has stalled. Our thoughts are with them for recovery and rebuilding. We still can't tame Mother Nature! Even if the storm is named Harvey.

Absolutely stunning photos, TLCOhio! I so enjoy reading your posts.

Appreciate these nice comments from biggersn. For Spins, any updates and/or added details from your son there?? It seems that this 4th largest city in the U.S. is being hit super hard with flooding, rain, etc. From looking at the AccuWeather radar, the rain could keep going on . . . and on . . . for another three or more days.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,140 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Me or the ribeye? :D

Can't see you.

It's the food!

No news from son.

I am watching flooding as well.

House is near Galleria.

I see on Thursday center of Harvey over Houston.

Louisiana will likely get rain on the east side of storm which because of circulation is always the worst.

Can't see you. It's the food!

No news from son. I am watching flooding as well. House is near Galleria. I see on Thursday center of Harvey over Houston. Louisiana will likely get rain on the east side of storm which because of circulation is always the worst.

Appreciate this follow-up from Spins. Keep us posted as to any updates and added details from your son. We will all hope for the best.

Talked yesterday with a nearly 88-year-old gentleman, Ken B., that we had enjoyed meeting during our 2008 Baltics/Russia cruise. We have stayed in touch over the years. He and his wife were surviving with all of this rain. Like everything else in the Houston area, they do not have a basement, but had to get some bags of mulch and shower curtains to create a mini-dam system around their house in northern Houston. Will check back with him later today. Have been in touch with several other friends in these Texas areas. Some getting less than expected. Some more. Still have not heard from Rev. Terry who married us in 1972 and has been living in the Houston area for many decades.

For Jeff, good-looking food. Keep it coming!! Fun.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580