Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

I retired three years ago and can speak to the issues occurring at that time.

The level of hatred against certain groups is persistent and pervasive.

It simmers and then with fanning of flames it boils.

I am not sure there can be erasure of hatred so deeply rooted in a nations or world psyche.

Hatred so vile and irrational.

Humans love to blame others for their own shortcomings.

My father was strung up on a fence and his feet lit on fire because he was different.

That stuff and worse still happens.

Jeff, I meant that women should not get preferential treatment over "under-represented/disadvantaged" groups. That is also what I meant when I said there is no need for a hierarchy of grievousness relative to discrimination. There is no need to make any assumptions that all is well or that all is not well with employment options for women. If relatively unbiased hiring, support programs for disadvantaged, mentor opportunities were put in place for anyone needing a leg up all would benefit. I see no real reason to argue the merits of which group deserves more assistance.

No Jeff, that is not what I believe. Obviously I am having difficulty expressing myself here. I'm going to take a breath and try to focus on a reply. But to be clear, I do not think gender discrimination is the same as racial discrimination (in case that is what you are asking). :)

One form is not more "acceptable" than any other. There doesn't need to be a hierarchy of the grievousness.

Mysty, I agree with you completely. Please fight with me to end affirmative action (structured discrimination), stereotypes & generalizations, and instead focus on adequate punishment for actual discrimination.

I was born in 1970. Since I was born (almost 50 years ago), US law & political climate has been biased to correct past atrocities. I am still aware of this when I see an older couple that may have been affected. However, the people who now benefit, have never experienced the issues of the past, but the people harmed are still being impacted today.

Colleges are an embarrassment of our public system. It is one of the few places where I pay taxes towards the benefit and then I am discriminated against using their services. I have enough money to go to any college that I want, and would only want to receive credit for an A. I am willing to attend online if necessary, but would be required to go through an arduous and opaque admission process filled with intentional discrimination. Some of these colleges may be private, but still benefit from loans/research projects subsidized with my tax dollars.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/03/06/womens-college-enrollment-gains-leave-men-behind/

It may take years before it is recognized, but I believe President Obama had a significant negative impact on racial harmony in the US, not because of his race, but because he focused on differences rather than the common good.

Cloudy here in Albany. Another 1h20 until maximum coverage (about 70% totality). Don't know how much we'll see.

My wife just picked up our special glasses and we took an early "peak" here in Central Ohio. It's just starting here. A very cool and interesting view is just starting now. It will get to about 86% coverage here in about an hour.

Below is the map for what will happen in 2024. Fortunately it will be nearly 100% viewing here in Columbus in the center of our state. Good reason to stay alive till that point in history.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,384 views for this posting.

From AccuWeather, here is the path for the next "biggie" here in the USA in 2024.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-21%20at%201.31.25%20PM_zpscayyw3dq.png

No Jeff, that is not what I believe. Obviously I am having difficulty expressing myself here. I'm going to take a breath and try to focus on a reply. But to be clear, I do not think gender discrimination is the same as racial discrimination (in case that is what you are asking). :)

It's been an interesting discussion .... which I suspect has run it's course. :)

Super eclipse!

Yes! YES!! Super fun. Not sure work productivity was that great today for employers and office. We got a few clouds but overall, it worked well. Sorry did not take any pictures as I did not want to risk any damage to my camera. Or, eyes!

Super loved so different many parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at the link of "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences!":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

Here is our Yellow Lab, Rudy, age 11, wearing the solar eclipse glass for viewing the event this afternoon from our brick patio.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201615_zpst9hmacci.jpg

Here is a Cajun Jambalaya with tiger shrimp, salmon, roasted chicken, seared andouille sausage, roasted red peppers and fresh spinach in a spicy roma tomato sauce that was served over seasoned brown rice earlier this month. Yes, very tasty and good:

July%202017A%201614%201_zps4k3duozv.jpg

Here is a hypothetical situation: you phone a company. A woman answers. Do you automatically assume that she is the receptionist? If a man answers, would you assume the same thing? THAT is gender discrimination. Works both ways.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Imagine that woman answering the phone with an African American or Hispanic accent....the janitor, maybe?

Not sure whether this is good or bad, BUT, my normal experiences these days when making calls is that it is NOT a Black, white, green or yellow PERSON, male or female, answering the phone. It is more and more likely that an automated computer phone system is doing that "work". Whether for an airline, business, newspaper, etc., we need to punch in certain info, spell the name of the person we are seeking, etc. That's A.I. or artificial intelligence that is doing more and more of these tasks.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Or that the person answering the phone can't pronounce nuclear...

Do you presume they are an elected goverment representative?

I think I do.

Yes it's true we have certain presumptions we stumble over daily.

Some hurdles preclude us from moving forward.

Today I watched people of every kind embracing the joy of the eclipse.

What is it about such an event that is so unifying?

I think we are all on the lookout for an excuse to have a party in these troubled times spins, and it's nice to have nature remind us how insignificant we are as individuals in the overall wider and larger scheme of things. But to the other questions posed.

It is ironic how all of us have the need to signal our virtue to others. To demonstrate our lack of humand failings and flaw. But when we see a group of black hooded kids congregating on a dark street corner how do we feel? When we call a utility or our bank or an airline to try and sort out a problem and hear the voice from an Indian call centre, How do we feel? Is prejeudice so unnatural? Have we not demeaned a perfectly natural response to always be something evil? Some of our prejeudices are a part of survival and safety instincts and self protection, often based on a very healthy intuition of being careful. I'll never forget how scared I was when I was two or three and saw my very first black person. Was that unnatural?

The fact is that we are all human and we are all inherrently flawed. The problem is that we cannot correct our flaws unless we recognise that we all have them, and isn't just "other people". And once we accept our flaws, I guess it is better that we do not ignore that we have them but try and correct those that are wrong and recognise that being flawed is how we were all manufactured.

Jeff.

Nice to have a party acknowledging we are mere mortals at the whim of mother Nature, a female I might add.

;-)

I await the Donald's statement on Afghanistan. But since he forgot his solar glasses, who knows.

Yikes.

I fear more exposure and mortality.

I hope not.

Yes J! There is no "holier than thou" here. We are flawed by the very nature of our humanity. When we recognize the unjustifiable biases we need to examine our views. That is how we become "better" human beings. No disagreement there! :)

I can help with that.

Rahmschnitzel over Spätzle for dinner tonight.

05d3d0042b9cbb88edc0b31973d0d772.jpg

Pork escallopes, pounded out and coated with flour, salt, pepper, paprika. Seared with butter. Then a little wine to deglaze the pan, some more butter, mushrooms, scallions, and garlic. The sauce was finished with a little cream and thinned with water, so the heart attack might be delayed for a week or two.

So good. But crazy rich. I had been craving this ever since we tried it in Trier two years ago. And I'd had a lousy restaurant version a few months ago, which made the craving all the worse. Satisfied!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app