Medical Situation

Cruiser-66

We are booked on the Coral Princess Feb. 6th and have already made final payment. My husband just found out he has cancer and needs surgery. We did not take out insurance, so I'm afraid we are in trouble. Does anyone know if they ever let you change your date to a later one? We have been on many cruises with princess and at least half the time I've taken insurance, but this time I did not. Feeling very sad!!

Be prepared for some harsh replies from some. That being said, the rule is no insurance, no help. However, a call to princess explaining your situation may result in some compassion and an offer to move your cruise. Good luck and best wishes to your husband in his battle.

I would check with your credit card and see if you have had trip insurance with them.

Generally, unless the ship is overbooked and it is "to their benefit to move you to another date", they don't allow this.

Wishing your husband the best through his surgery and recovery.

We are booked on the Coral Princess Feb. 6th and have already made final payment. My husband just found out he has cancer and needs surgery. We did not take out insurance, so I'm afraid we are in trouble. Does anyone know if they ever let you change your date to a later one? We have been on many cruises with princess and at least half the time I've taken insurance, but this time I did not. Feeling very sad!!

The only thing you can do is call customer service and ask. Also, you may want to speak to your husband's oncologist. If the surgery is not too taxing, he may be OK to sail in February. It is about six weeks away.

I was able to sail three weeks after I had a similar surgery. The vacation was much needed after all of the stress. I will keep you both in my thoughts. Please, keep us posted.

Even if you get a "no" from customer service, if you can manage to speak with someone from yield management (M-F normal business hours US west coast) you might have a bit more luck. They may thing they need your cabin...and put you on a list for move over offers. Don't count on it, but it might work.

I am very sorry for your situation and wish you and husband the best with his upcoming surgery and ongoing challenges.

An unfortunate situation also happened to our friends. They found out Princess must pay you back all taxes and port charges. When they spoke with Princess, Princess credited them the rest of the money for the same cruise if they would do it within the next year. It gavel them something to look forward to as he was recovery from his problem. It is worth a try. I also know Chase credit cards have trip insurance if the trip was charged to their card but you must apply for it as soon as you are aware the trip must be cancelled. Hopefully the surgery will put you on the road to recovery and back on the seas again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Right now you are in the 50% refund window which is cancellation from 56 to 29 days from date of sailing. You should be able to get that amount returned without any issue. You should also receive back the port charges, and any pre-paid on board expenses such as gratuity, beverage packages, tours, spa, etc. I would make certain any cancellation is done before day 29, which I believe would be Jan 8th.

Regarding your other 50%, if you booked with a T.A., maybe they can arrange to have that amount placed in your accounts for another Princess cruise. If you booked directly with Princess you will have to call them yourself. Be prepared for various answers.

Right now you are in the 50% refund window which is cancellation from 56 to 29 days from date of sailing. You should be able to get that amount returned without any issue. You should also receive back the port charges, and any pre-paid on board expenses such as gratuity, beverage packages, tours, spa, etc. I would make certain any cancellation is done before day 29, which I believe would be Jan 8th.

They will receive the entire government taxes and fees back, not the "port charges" (non-commisssionable fare).

And according to the passage contract, Princess will now assess the cancellation fees on any "pre purchased gifts(s) [and] special services"

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/pcl.html (Section 6, table below para. 2):

Sailings less than 30 days (including World Cruise Segments)

Days prior to Cruise or Land Package Departure Item(s)* Assessed Cancellation Fee

75 days or more None None

74-57 days Cruise fare Deposit* Amount

56-29 days All Items 50% of Total Charges

28-15 days All Items 75% of Total Charges

within 14 days All Items 100% of Total Charges

*Items: Cruise, Cruisetour, Cruise Plus Package, pre-purchased gift(s)/special services.

*For those passengers booking a reduced deposit promotion, the initial cancellation fee amount will not exceed the deposit required/paid.

They will receive the entire government taxes and fees back, not the "port charges" (non-commisssionable fare).

And according to the passage contract, Princess will now assess the cancellation fees on any "pre purchased gifts(s) [and] special services"

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/pcl.html (Section 6, table below para. 2):

FishyW- If you prepay your gratuities and have to cancel, do you have the cost of the gratuities returned? Also, if you have insurance, and have to cancel, will you recoup your pre- paid gratuities?

Thanks-

TL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take insurance. You're not 100% sure about surgery at this time with second opinions and all.....right? Don't know about Princess but I am pretty sure Carnival will allow guests to buy insurance even after the trip is paid for. You might want to check and buy it just in case his surgery is needed sooner than later.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Forums mobile app

FishyW- If you prepay your gratuities and have to cancel, do you have the cost of the gratuities returned? Also, if you have insurance, and have to cancel, will you recoup your pre- paid gratuities?

Thanks-

TL

Honestly I only just now spotted this new clause in the Passage Contract. I would hope that Princess makes a distinction between items that can be pre-paid through the cruise personalizer such as gratuities and beverage packages vs. items ordered from the Gifts and Services Catalog such as the UBD, flowers or a bottle for your cabin; hopefully it is only the latter that Princess classifies as "pre purchased gifts(s)/special services" subject to the cancellation fees.

But again this is only speculation based on what I have read for the first time today. I would think that this board would be erupting if someone had cancelled but not had their pre-paid grats fully refunded. Or if someone cancelling under the CFAR coverage from Princess were only reimbursed for their prepaid expenses as part of the cruise fare FCC rather than a refund.

Edited by fishywood

Honestly I only just now spotted this new clause in the Passage Contract. I would hope that Princess makes a distinction between items that can be pre-paid through the cruise personalizer such as gratuities and beverage packages vs. items ordered from the Gifts and Services Catalog such as the UBD, flowers or a bottle for your cabin; hopefully it is only the latter that is subject to the cancellation fees.

But again this is only speculation based on what I have read for the first time today. I would think that this board would be erupting if someone had cancelled but not had their pre-paid grats fully refunded. Or if someone cancelling under the CFAR coverage from Princess were only reimbursed for their prepaid expenses as part of the cruise fare FCC rather than a refund.

I suspect you are correct. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take insurance. You're not 100% sure about surgery at this time with second opinions and all.....right? Don't know about Princess but I am pretty sure Carnival will allow guests to buy insurance even after the trip is paid for. You might want to check and buy it just in case his surgery is needed sooner than later.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Forums mobile app

But I don't believe insurance taken now will cover the surgery because it is a pre-existing condition.

OP, as recommended, call Princess/TA and cancel immediately to get back 50%. And while working with Princess/TA, call your credit card company and see what they have to say.

Hello Knutson,

Good luck with your husband's health. My wife and I are both Survivors and understand the diagnosis is life changing. We also know that there is often long healthy lives after treatment.

We were fortunate enough that we had insurance for my wife's treatment, but found that the Princess Customer Service folks willing to make an exception by restoring my Future Cruise rather than being reimbursed. So they will assist if they can. In my case, my radiation Oncologist suggested that I go on our scheduled cruise since my cancer was not aggressive.

In any case, I would not hesitate in reaching out to the good Princess Customer Service folks to suggest a solution to your health and scheduling problem. You just may find them to be receptive to a solution that benefits both them and yourselves.

I want to thank everyone for trying to help us out. I will do some checking tomorrow. The cruise was put on a Capital One Venture card. Not sure if that's good or bad. I will also call princess and talk to them. Our doctor offered to send a letter confirming the situation. Hopefully something will work out.

Give them a call and explain and they may be nice.

Hello Knutson,

Good luck with your husband's health. My wife and I are both Survivors and understand the diagnosis is life changing. We also know that there is often long healthy lives after treatment.

We were fortunate enough that we had insurance for my wife's treatment, but found that the Princess Customer Service folks willing to make an exception by restoring my Future Cruise rather than being reimbursed. So they will assist if they can. In my case, my radiation Oncologist suggested that I go on our scheduled cruise since my cancer was not aggressive.

In any case, I would not hesitate in reaching out to the good Princess Customer Service folks to suggest a solution to your health and scheduling problem. You just may find them to be receptive to a solution that benefits both them and yourselves.

I hope Princess will extend the same compassion to the OP. It may lessen their burden in this difficult time.

I read the contract as saying that any pre purchased gifts and special services are excluded from cancellation fees and I think Port Fees are included in Port Expenses mentioned.

"You are required to pay a cancellation fee (including 3rd and 4th berths) if You cancel Your Cruise, Cruisetour or Cruise Plus package. Cancellation fees are based on the fare paid, excluding Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses, transfers, , surcharges, shore & land excursions and most pre-purchased gift(s) and/or special service(s)."

The chart does kind of contradict what this paragraph says. Maybe I'll check with Princess the next time I need to call them.

The new Costco card also has some trip cancellation benefits and no look back period.

Edited by cactusrose

I read the contract as saying that any pre purchased gifts and special services are excluded from cancellation fees and I think Port Fees are included in Port Expenses mentioned.

"You are required to pay a cancellation fee (including 3rd and 4th berths) if You cancel Your Cruise, Cruisetour or Cruise Plus package. Cancellation fees are based on the fare paid, excluding Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses, transfers, , surcharges, shore & land excursions and most pre-purchased gift(s) and/or special service(s)."

"Any" and "most" are two very different qualifiers. (Just as "port charges" and "taxes, fees, and port expenses" are two different unrelated costs, but I am tired of beating my head against the wall on that one...:()

While the cancellation fee may be initially based on only the cruise fare the table clearly indicates that other items become subject to the schedule beginning 56 days before sailing. Superficially the rate table contradicts the text above it (quoted in the previous post)...but note the qualifier of "most" that opens the door for "some" to be included.

Edited by fishywood

I had a similar situation just a few months ago with a Royal Caribbean cruise. No insurance and after final payment date. I called the travel agent and as I knew there would be no refund, asked if we could move the cruise to a future date. RCL allowed this as long as the cruise was within 365 days and in a similar room. We moved to a cruise 364 days later and hope to travel in Sept 2017.

You have nothing to lose by asking for a move to a future date and hopefully Princess will accommodate you.

I am a survivor also and can not even tell you how happy I was to be able to go on a cruise after my treatment.

Have my fingers and toes crossed for a successful outcome from the treatment and a wonderful holiday afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Any" and "most" are two very different qualifiers. (Just as "port charges" and "taxes, fees, and port expenses" are two different unrelated costs, but I am tired of beating my head against the wall on that one...:()

While the cancellation fee may be initially based on only the cruise fare the table clearly indicates that other items become subject to the schedule beginning 56 days before sailing. Superficially the rate table contradicts the text above it (quoted in the previous post)...but note the qualifier of "most" that opens the door for "some" to be included.

I just mentioned the port expenses/port fees because on the three occasions I've had to cancel a cruise the port fees were refunded to me directly from Princess vs the fare which was refunded by the insurance company. The Princess travel insurance is based on the cruise fare only. Looking at an invoice from Princess, port charges are set out as Port Expenses "Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses: 135.00". There is no separate item for Port Charges.

When the OP calls Princess, the best time is during normal working hours (8 - 5) during the work week so that it can be bumped up if need be. It also helps if you are platinum or elite which signifies a loyal customer. Businesses are more lenient to loyal customers when a problem arises like the medical emergency. I have found Princess to be willing to bend a little to help me out in the past which has made me an even more loyal customer.

I sincerely hope that the OP's medical situation is resolved to the good and will be able to sail again soon. Our thoughts are with you and others in time of need.

Edited by satxdiver

I just mentioned the port expenses/port fees because on the three occasions I've had to cancel a cruise the port fees were refunded to me directly from Princess vs the fare which was refunded by the insurance company. The Princess travel insurance is based on the cruise fare only. Looking at an invoice from Princess, port charges are set out as Port Expenses "Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses: 135.00". There is no separate item for Port Charges.

That is because they are included in the cruise fare, just like taxes are now included in airline fares (at least in USA).

Port charges used to be a separate charge, but the cruise industry lost court cases in Florida and was forced to include them in the basic cruise fare.