Changing from fixed dining to anytime

elycelynne

When there is a waitlist for the MDR, it could mean the new passengers really signed up for fixed seating or it could mean a travel agent did noit explain all the options and maybe only asked if the client wanted to eat early or late.

I am guessing that most new cruisers are booking online and not even speaking with a travel agent.

In general, 50% of passengers on a cruise are new to cruising or new to cruising on Princess.

When there is a waitlist for the MDR, it could mean the new passengers really signed up for fixed seating or it could mean a travel agent did noit explain all the options and maybe only asked if the client wanted to eat early or late.

It is possible that those empty seats belonged to new passenegrs who just ate in the buffet each evening. I remember one post a while back where it said a couple never went to their assigned table in the dining room because they thought it would be extra charge each evening, but no charge for the buffet.

I totally get this. I was on a cruise once when a man bellowed (ummm.. bellow is a kindness here), "I WILL NOT PAY $90 TO USE A ROBE!" No matter how much we tried to convince him that he would only pay that fee if the robe sprouted legs and hopped into his suitcase- he would not be swayed. :rolleyes:

An older couple sat down with hubby and me during happy hour while on the Royal over Thanksgiving. They were well-traveled cruisers and Elite status with Princess. We were talking about our port-intensive cruise and how difficult it must be for some people to make it to their early dining assignments.

The woman said that they had early dining but whenever they felt they could not make it to their assigned (at their own request) seating they would simply do ATD.

I told them that they actually should not be doing that and I gave her the reasons behind it and she seemed a bit put off that I even told her. She said that they never have a problem with it and that they have been told that it was OK.

I asked her who told her that it was OK and she said her travel agent. Now again, they have been doing this for years now and showed absolute no concern that they, and others with assigned dining, were a part of causing the long lines for the rest of us ATD folk.

I'm certain it would not change their minds, though.

You are most welcome!

I have been on several sailings where the waitlist for TD was well into the hundreds-

I was on one cruise on the Ocean Princess which only has Traditional dining.

I have never figured out how it could happen since there is room over both seatings for all passengers, but both early and late seatings had a wait list.

Information about wait listing for traditional dining: Princess ships have several dining rooms. One is specifically used for traditional dining (the times showed for the early and late seating). When there are more people requesting traditional dining (usually the early seating) then that dining room can hold, one of the dining rooms used for anytime dining will have a section used for the traditional seating. That overflow traditional seating will start earlier then the shown early seating times to allow the remainder of the dining room to be used for anytime dining and the traditional seating section will be filled with anytime diners as the traditional seating tables empty out.

As far as traditional dinners going to anytime dining, this is only allowed on nights where the port departure time is much later than the start time for traditional dining. In that case, the traditional early seating will be told that all dining for that night will be "anytime." The traditional seating area will be open for the traditional early dinners at the usual time, however, after a certain time, will be switched to anytime for all passengers.

A traditional early passenger is free to use any of the dining rooms that evening for anytime dining, not just the assigned table in the assigned dining room.

If a traditional diner tries to enter anytime dining on evenings other then the officially changed evening because of the late port departure, they will lose their traditional seating and be switched into anytime.

I think the problems with people yelling about the traditional diners switching into anytime dining is due to the lack of understanding about the nights when the early traditional diners are told that the dining for the evening has been officially switched to anytime dining. If a large number of early seating passengers are unable to meet the early traditional seating start time because of late running shore excursions (meaning arriving back at the scheduled excursion time but after the start of traditional dining) or anywise spending time on shore, there will be more people on line for anytime dining.

The length of the line will also be lengthen by the those anytime diners that may also usually eat earlier but are also are "late" because of the late port departure time.

As far as the poster who claims that they will arrive at 6 PM when their assigned time is 5:30 PM, I believe this is just bluster. Princess does shut the dining room doors (somewhere around the 15 minute mark) after the start of the seating. He would not be allowed to enter the dining room a half hour.

late.

In any case, if he was on my table, I wouldn't tolerate the boorish attitude and would request that the maitre d' remove him from the table.

Your response is written as if your word is "fact" and not at all taking into consideration of the many exceptions many people on CC have written here in the past.

I am certain that this information would have been found and read on the Patter if and when late port times were the issue. In all of my dozen or so cruises with Princess, I have not seen this notice. Yes, and I am aware that on embarkation evening this is a public notice.

People using ATD, at their whim, is done ALL of the time and to prove it, when was the last time the Head Waiter or his/her assistant asked for your card when you enter the dining room? I have seen it on other cruise lines but not on Princess. Other CC members have also made the same comments and complaints.

Unfortunately those who do follow the rules are often stuck in longer lines during the prime dining hour and I will stick to my reasoning as to the relaxed attention of the staff at the front. Their job would be to tell those people they will need to eat in the Horizon Court and simply don't want to have to deal with the disappointed or angry looks.

Information about wait listing for traditional dining: Princess ships have several dining rooms. One is specifically used for traditional dining (the times showed for the early and late seating). When there are more people requesting traditional dining (usually the early seating) then that dining room can hold, one of the dining rooms used for anytime dining will have a section used for the traditional seating. That overflow traditional seating will start earlier then the shown early seating times to allow the remainder of the dining room to be used for anytime dining and the traditional seating section will be filled with anytime diners as the traditional seating tables empty out.

As far as traditional dinners going to anytime dining, this is only allowed on nights where the port departure time is much later than the start time for traditional dining. In that case, the traditional early seating will be told that all dining for that night will be "anytime." The traditional seating area will be open for the traditional early dinners at the usual time, however, after a certain time, will be switched to anytime for all passengers.

A traditional early passenger is free to use any of the dining rooms that evening for anytime dining, not just the assigned table in the assigned dining room.

If a traditional diner tries to enter anytime dining on evenings other then the officially changed evening because of the late port departure, they will lose their traditional seating and be switched into anytime.

I think the problems with people yelling about the traditional diners switching into anytime dining is due to the lack of understanding about the nights when the early traditional diners are told that the dining for the evening has been officially switched to anytime dining. If a large number of early seating passengers are unable to meet the early traditional seating start time because of late running shore excursions (meaning arriving back at the scheduled excursion time but after the start of traditional dining) or anywise spending time on shore, there will be more people on line for anytime dining.

The length of the line will also be lengthen by the those anytime diners that may also usually eat earlier but are also are "late" because of the late port departure time.

As far as the poster who claims that they will arrive at 6 PM when their assigned time is 5:30 PM, I believe this is just bluster. Princess does shut the dining room doors (somewhere around the 15 minute mark) after the start of the seating. He would not be allowed to enter the dining room a half hour.

late.

In any case, if he was on my table, I wouldn't tolerate the boorish attitude and would request that the maitre d' remove him from the table.

I am not sure if the maître d' remove him or her- they may work to find you a different table, though.

Your response is written as if your word is "fact" and not at all taking into consideration of the many exceptions many people on CC have written here in the past.

I am certain that this information would have been found and read on the Patter if and when late port times were the issue. In all of my dozen or so cruises with Princess, I have not seen this notice. Yes, and I am aware that on embarkation evening this is a public notice.

I am writing it as fact as it is based on my experience with Princess as an early traditional seating passenger. Anytime there is a scheduled port departure after the set time for the early seating, our waiter has informed us the night before that port that our early seating will be anytime dining and the procedure is as I posted.

And you are correct, there is no posted notice in the Patter. The anytime dining change is only for the early seating passengers that are affected by the late departure.

However, on our Panama Canal cruise where the Colon port departure was 9 PM, dinner was changed to anytime dining for all passengers.

I am not sure if the maître d' remove him or her- they may work to find you a different table, though.

That's how it would work. If someone is a bad dinner companion, the person they will move is you. Short of physical abuse, I don't think there's any reason they would remove a passenger from a table against his will.

I am writing it as fact as it is based on my experience with Princess as an early traditional seating passenger. Anytime there is a scheduled port departure after the set time for the early seating, our waiter has informed us the night before that port that our early seating will be anytime dining and the procedure is as I posted.

Nobody is questioning what you have said in the above post.

What people are questioning is what you have posted below.

Except for the first couple of evenings, cruise cards are not checked when going into the anytime dining rooms.

Thus after the first two evenings someone assigned to traditional can go to the anytime dining room and Princess would not notice. The question is how many people actually do this.

Princess lies about the early dining time. I always take and get confirmed 6 PM. When i board it becomes 5:30. I always tell my waiter and tablemates that i will arrive at 6 PM per my confirmed written verification. Princess really needs to be upfront about the games they play with the traditional dining.

We do the same. No one minds. We have also tipped the Maitre d and gotten any time we prefer at the anytime mdr.

We do the same. No one minds. We have also tipped the Maitre d and gotten any time we prefer at the anytime mdr.

Sorry, but I would mind if you plunked yourself down halfway through my meal, and then took up the waiter's time with ordering that should have been done with the rest of us. You must have had tolerant tablemates, or else too polite to complain.

That's how it would work. If someone is a bad dinner companion, the person they will move is you. Short of physical abuse, I don't think there's any reason they would remove a passenger from a table against his will.

Unless the entire table is annoyed by the late passenger? Just pondering.....

Edited by Coral

So last night, my TA's office being closed already and concerned about Club Class slowing down ATD seating, I called Princess directly just to see if there was still room at late traditional for my upcoming cruise.

The very nice rep, once I explained the situation, told me that even with a traditional assignment, I could always eat at ATD. When I pressed her on that, she added, "Well, if you go to anytime after 8:30." That sounded more reasonable, since I've never experienced waits that late except on NYE. Still, that's coming directly from a Princess rep. Not exactly encouraging, and I wonder if there's actually a standard company policy, or if it's just what we here think "should be."

By the way, she twisted the rules herself and switched my to late dining. I was surprised that, with less than a month to go and a heavily sold ship, there was still room at late traditional. I wonder if that means that increasing numbers of pax are choosing ATD from the get-go, making anytime even more crowded?

Edited by shepp

Sorry, but I would mind if you plunked yourself down halfway through my meal, and then took up the waiter's time with ordering that should have been done with the rest of us. You must have had tolerant tablemates, or else too polite to complain.

We have been fortunate to meet nice people

We have been fortunate to meet nice people

Once when we were at an eight-top on a longish cruise, one of the other couples rarely showed up on time, often up to a half hour late, and sometimes were no-shows. It wasn't a matter of illness or getting back onboard late; they just couldn't be bothered to obey the same guidelines as the rest of us. In the beginning, we were "nice," told our waiter we had no idea what was up, and waited a decent period of time to order. But after several times where the waiter had to take time from serving us and the other pax in his area to bring menus to and subsequently get orders from the couple, interrupting our dinner, we collectively decided they were being inconsiderate to both us and staff and decided to just go ahead and be un-nice. And concluded that the couple really should have chosen ATD.

When we do traditional dining, we try our best not to be more than a few minutes late. Not keeping others waiting or in the dark: That's what seems nice to me.

Edited by shepp

Once when we were at an eight-top on a longish cruise, one of the other couples rarely showed up on time, often up to a half hour late, and sometimes were no-shows. It wasn't a matter of illness or getting back onboard late; they just couldn't be bothered to obey the same guidelines as the rest of us. In the beginning, we were "nice," told our waiter we had no idea what was up, and waited a decent period of time to order. But after several times where the waiter had to take time from serving us and the other pax in his area to bring menus to and subsequently get orders from the couple, interrupting our dinner, we collectively decided they were being inconsiderate to both us and staff and decided to just go ahead and be un-nice. And concluded that the couple really should have chosen ATD.

When we do traditional dining, we try our best not to be more than a few minutes late. Not keeping others waiting or in the dark: That's what seems nice to me.

It's always nice to tip the waiter on the first night and tell him you will not be sitting till 6. It's always nice to overlook that some of your "obedient" tablemates are tipsy and talk impolitely to the waitstaff. It's always nice to remember that school is out and you are on vacation. It's always nice to act as though you are not a starched collar. It's always nice to get off your high horse.

It is TD that fills up, not ATD. There is no issue switching from TD to ATD. The issue is going from ATD to TD where there must be space at a table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In December the Island Princess' Panama Canal cruise the ATD had a line that formed when they opened every night where they gave out the flashing vibrating notifications that your table could be ready in an hour. They said that Princess always overbooks the ATD. We switched to TD after being told that.

In December the Island Princess' Panama Canal cruise the ATD had a line that formed when they opened every night where they gave out the flashing vibrating notifications that your table could be ready in an hour. They said that Princess always overbooks the ATD. We switched to TD after being told that.

The issue is that to many people want to eat too early. I too saw the line at 17:30 on the Island, but could never understand this desperate need to eat at the first opportunity - it's not as if the restaurant is going to shut! We only ever waited once for a table on ATD on the Island, because our preferred time was between 19:30 and 20:00.

If Princess or any other cruise line wanted to cater for every single passenger to eat at the same time, they would require a dining room the size of an entire deck!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

We do traditional dining because we like to have the same waiters in the MDR.

We also get a table to accommodate our entire party only.

The last cruise we were on was both Anytime and Traditional (at the same time). Our waiter and asst. waiter had to deal with both Anytime and Traditional diners. It seemed very busy for them, but they did an excellent job.

We used to do Anytime dining but were not pleased with the level of service on our prior cruises so we switched to Traditional recently. On our last cruise we would tell the head waiter as we are leaving that we had specialty dining the following night so at least they could use our table the next night right away. I'd like to think they kept track of our update.

I totally get this. I was on a cruise once when a man bellowed (ummm.. bellow is a kindness here), "I WILL NOT PAY $90 TO USE A ROBE!" No matter how much we tried to convince him that he would only pay that fee if the robe sprouted legs and hopped into his suitcase- he would not be swayed. :rolleyes:

Tracie, he was one of those travelers about whom you just look at and thank your lucky starts that they aren't your spouse! :p

Tom