Northbound Coastal - which one?

slidergirl

Change of jobs means I don't have vacation time until next Fall :( BUT, I can take a couple of days without pay. My hotel goes very low occupancy after the 2nd week of April, so looks like a good time to do another Pacific Coastal for 4 days. Low rent, inside only...

Leaving within days of each other - Nieuw Amsterdam, Zaandam, Eurodam. Same routing - San Diego, Victoria, Vancouver. Been to all many, many times. This is one just to relax after another crazy, busy, winter season. What would push one ship to the top over another? Anything special/horrible for each ship? Do any of these have the cabanas? Even if it was cool outside, I could still relax in a cabana - I relax in the winter spending time out on the ski beach, so I'm used to nice, cool air on my face.

Right now, the dreaded single supplement brings the fare to $566. I'd have to do one night in San Diego and one night in Vancouver ( I can NEVER not spend at least one night in Vancouver, one of my favorite cities), so that's going to bring my "fare" up to closer to $900 for this little trip (I'll use points for my air). For that much money, I do not want to choose poorly. For those of you who spend thousands on your cruises, you may scoff at my pricing. But, this is actually a large sum of money for me and I do not want to feel as I am wasting it on a worn, tired product.

Edited by slidergirl

We rank the Zaandam as one of our favorite HAL ships due to its smaller size and just plain liked its decor - not sure it has outdoor cabana's though. But its size makes it easier to get around and more quickly comfortable for a shorter trip.

I like the Zaandam and Eurodam equally.

On my last vacation, I really loved the chill atmosphere on the Zaandam. I really loved not being rushed and stressed. (I work in a high volume Starbucks in a Chicago suburb)

Having been on the Eurodam, I loved the BB King's Allstars. It was more livelier there was more to do. I keep kicking myself for not trying Tamarind.

Sorry for not being much of a help. :rolleyes::p:)

We had a similar dilemma in trying to decide which ship to do the Pacific Coastal in 2017. We decided on the Ooosterdam only because we haven't been on her yet and we have been on all the others you mentioned.

I personally loved the Zaandam however, in my opinion for you, I would pick the Eurodam being larger with more to do. I think she will be the only ship in port in Victoria (you could check).

Have fun-part of the fun is of course what you are doing-trying to pick which ship!

If you pick one of the ships with the Tamarind and Silk Den, we loved them and hope you get a chance to experience them.

Happy picking :D Let us know what you decide.

I've done several solo northbound Coastals over the past couple of years. For me a determining factor is the amt. of time in Victoria, along with airfares, which can vary greatly depending on what days you need to fly. To cut costs, I usually take a shuttle from Vancouver and fly out of Seattle at the end of the cruise.

I just off the Eurodam on Dec. 10, and it is the best HAL ship I've sailed on - beautifully decorated on top of the things already mentioned.

Roz

We've been on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, and if I were you, I'd pick either one of them and get reservations for more than one night at Tamarind. It is excellent.

Looking at the Tamarind menu, we almost think we want to eat there every night to work our way through the menu on our upcoming NA cruise - how hard is it to get reservations? Are some times easier than others.

Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam, but Eurodam has the newest additions and concepts and goodies, Nieuw Amsterdam does not yet.

While I find Nieuw Amsterdam to have a little more modern look I would go with Eurodam because of the new venues like Billboard Onboard and Gallery Bar.

Looking at the Tamarind menu, we almost think we want to eat there every night to work our way through the menu on our upcoming NA cruise - how hard is it to get reservations? Are some times easier than others.
We haven't had any problem getting reservations once on the ship, and we like to eat around 7:30-8:00. I'd recommend not waiting too long after boarding to get the exact times you'd like, or make reservations online. The service is impeccable, too. We're going to miss Tamarind on our next two cruises.

If pick Eurodam. It has Tamarind and imo has a prettier interior than NA.

I'd pick both over Zaandam as they'll offer more entertainment choices. Plus Tamarind.

I totally agree and think Eurodam prettier and I like her art better. We did not xpect to like Eurodam as mucha s we did and ended up sailing her 5 or 6 cruisess. I would go back to Eurodam before NA. JMO We really lik her Silk Den and Tamarind.

Edited by sail7seas

Now, I have to do some research today for the best price. HAL website has zero incentives, but I'd be in control as I have always liked to be. Some of the "big box" sites have a couple of bennies - the ONE and one who COMPETES, (any one have any others you can kind of specify in a roundabout way?). Since I'm a solo, the bennies are at least half of what they advertise. No brick & mortar sites within 100 miles of my home, so that is out. It's just a quickie trip, so I don't need hand-holding, just a cheap price and maybe a dinner or two paid for me...

Now, I have to do some research today for the best price. HAL website has zero incentives, but I'd be in control as I have always liked to be. Some of the "big box" sites have a couple of bennies - the ONE and one who COMPETES, (any one have any others you can kind of specify in a roundabout way?). Since I'm a solo, the bennies are at least half of what they advertise. No brick & mortar sites within 100 miles of my home, so that is out. It's just a quickie trip, so I don't need hand-holding, just a cheap price and maybe a dinner or two paid for me...

It's rare HAL will offer inclusions on these short cruises because they have such low prices associated with them. Most specials and sales like the current View and Verandah don't apply. Super last minute you may see some Flash sales but that's about it if there is remaining inventory.

If a TA were offering a meal or 2 or some OBC it would be incredibly generous of them as these have a lower price and therefore low commission coming to the TA. Any gifts they provide would be coming out of their commission. It wouldn't take much before they were effectively working for free.

With the coastals we have always thought about it this way... "For the price we are paying, could we come anywhere even sort of close to a nice hotel in downtown Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, equivalent... 3 meals a day (or more :O)... entertainment, lower than normal priced beverages AND transportation up the coast via either train or plane..." The answer is almost always "obviously not" and therein lies the biggest benefits of these coastals... the super low prices

Edited by InTheWASide

It's rare HAL will offer inclusions on these short cruises because they have such low prices associated with them. Most specials and sales like the current View and Verandah don't apply. Super last minute you may see some Flash sales but that's about it if there is remaining inventory.

If a TA were offering a meal or 2 or some OBC it would be incredibly generous of them as these have a lower price and therefore low commission coming to the TA. Any gifts they provide would be coming out of their commission. It wouldn't take much before they were effectively working for free.

With the coastals we have always thought about it this way... "For the price we are paying, could we come anywhere even sort of close to a nice hotel in downtown Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, equivalent... 3 meals a day (or more :O)... entertainment, lower than normal priced beverages AND transportation up the coast via either train or plane..." The answer is almost always "obviously not" and therein lies the biggest benefits of these coastals... the super low prices

When I worked for big hotel chains, I always got cheap/free rooms :D I did 10 nights in Italy in high-end properties for less than $500 once!! But, now I work for an independent, so I do have to get used life paying full price :(

I've only seen two offers of some OBC, and if there were 2 of me, a balcony for the price of an outside (but it changes if I only put in 1 of me). Having to do the dreaded single supplement, I was hoping for a little bone tossed my way.

Change of jobs means I don't have vacation time until next Fall :( BUT, I can take a couple of days without pay. My hotel goes very low occupancy after the 2nd week of April, so looks like a good time to do another Pacific Coastal for 4 days. Low rent, inside only...

Leaving within days of each other - Nieuw Amsterdam, Zaandam, Eurodam. Same routing - San Diego, Victoria, Vancouver. Been to all many, many times. This is one just to relax after another crazy, busy, winter season. What would push one ship to the top over another? Anything special/horrible for each ship? Do any of these have the cabanas? Even if it was cool outside, I could still relax in a cabana - I relax in the winter spending time out on the ski beach, so I'm used to nice, cool air on my face.

Right now, the dreaded single supplement brings the fare to $566. I'd have to do one night in San Diego and one night in Vancouver ( I can NEVER not spend at least one night in Vancouver, one of my favorite cities), so that's going to bring my "fare" up to closer to $900 for this little trip (I'll use points for my air). For that much money, I do not want to choose poorly. For those of you who spend thousands on your cruises, you may scoff at my pricing. But, this is actually a large sum of money for me and I do not want to feel as I am wasting it on a worn, tired product.

I totally agree with you In the Way Side. The Coastals are a steal IMO. I don't know how anyone (HAL or a TA) could offer bennies. The commission is negligible at best.

If someone lives close by and can do it they are a steal. I am afraid anyone expecting bennies may be sorely disappointed. JMO of course and I have been on Collectors where the repo was offered.

I totally agree with you In the Way Side. The Coastals are a steal IMO. I don't know how anyone (HAL or a TA) could offer bennies. The commission is negligible at best.

If someone lives close by and can do it they are a steal. I am afraid anyone expecting bennies may be sorely disappointed. JMO of course and I have been on Collectors where the repo was offered.

I know, I know. I was just hoping I would avoid crowdfunding my unpaid vacation a little ;-)

I was a little peeved though at the deal where you could pay the outside price and get a VF Veranda if there were 2 people, but it was not that for a solo.

Now, if someone were willing to pay for my Veranda or Signature Suite, I'd be willing to do a full-blown-with-photos "Live from the 4 night HAL Walmart Cruise for those who can't afford those Collectors or World Cruises" :D

I know, I know. I was just hoping I would avoid crowdfunding my unpaid vacation a little ;-)

I was a little peeved though at the deal where you could pay the outside price and get a VF Veranda if there were 2 people, but it was not that for a solo.

Now, if someone were willing to pay for my Veranda or Signature Suite, I'd be willing to do a full-blown-with-photos "Live from the 4 night HAL Walmart Cruise for those who can't afford those Collectors or World Cruises" :D

I love your sense of humor :D.

Put down the deposit a few minutes ago. I couldn't let go of the control, so I just booked with HAL. I sure hope I get some good gratuities from my guests between now and April!!!

Just for giggles, I looked at the HAL air choices. The "restricted" fares were $100 more than the "flexible" ones. AND, were still more expensive than what I can do myself IF I decide to not use miles. AND, I have control of my flights if something goes sideways instead of waiting online for a 3rd party. I can book with a connection in SFO going and SEA coming home so I can enjoy the AMEX Centurion Lounge in both airports... Now, looking at hotels in SAN and YVR that may be worth using some hotel points on - I've got *wood (for the Westin Bayshore - LOVE that hotel), Hyatt Regency in either place, Andaz in SD, or a random Hilton property. Choices...

Booked Tamarind right away before I forget. Green papaya salad, sushi, and sesame noodles called to me. No desire to do Pinnacle (the non-meat menu did not appeal) and I'm picky about my Italian, so no Canaletto. I LOVE entree-sized salads, so I think the Lido offerings will be fine for me the rest of the time - I usually do this on cruises anyway so I can make a nice, relatively healthy salad for dinner and dine in quiet comfort with myself.

Next up: packing. I have the yoga leggings, T-shirts and trail runners set for daytime. Just have to decide which jeans and T-shirts to take for dinner :rolleyes: