Travel Insurance Amount

DandDM

I'm looking at third party travel insurance for our upcoming cruise and curious what folks use as the "Trip Cost"? Adding up airfare, hotels, shore excursions, etc., comes up to about half the cruise fare, so I initially ran an online quote based on the full amount (or about 1.5x the cruise fare). Reducing the insurance amount to just the cruise drops the price considerably.

What amount should I insure? Does it matter to the underwriter, so is it just a way to put a maximum on the coverage?

Any advice appreciated.

And a second, minor question - they ask for the booking date. We originally booked one cruise which was cancelled so we transferred the deposit to the cruise we are on now. Then later we booked a second cruise for a b2b. I'm using the date we booked the first cruise we are actually on. . .

Is that date an issue?

Thanks

It depends on what you want covered. If you only want the cruise portion covered, then that's all you'd list as Trip Cost. If you're worried about penalties for the air and hotel as well, then you should include that as well as the cruise price into the Trip Cost amount.

The date the cruise is booked is usually used by the insurance companies in regards to if they have a waiver for pre-existing. Some will allow you to cover certain pre-existing if the plan is purchased within X days of the original deposit.

As for which date to use, original cruise that was cancelled or new cruise, a lot will have to do with what date the second cruise was actually booked. Was it a new booking #? If yes, then typically the new booking number deposit date would be fine. If it's the old booking number that they used for the new itinerary, and just converted it over, then typically it would go by the old original deposit date.

The date the cruise is booked is usually used by the insurance companies in regards to if they have a waiver for pre-existing. Some will allow you to cover certain pre-existing if the plan is purchased within X days of the original deposit.

As for which date to use, original cruise that was cancelled or new cruise, a lot will have to do with what date the second cruise was actually booked. Was it a new booking #? If yes, then typically the new booking number deposit date would be fine. If it's the old booking number that they used for the new itinerary, and just converted it over, then typically it would go by the old original deposit date.

Great info, thanks!

I'm looking at third party travel insurance for our upcoming cruise and curious what folks use as the "Trip Cost"? Adding up airfare, hotels, shore excursions, etc., comes up to about half the cruise fare, so I initially ran an online quote based on the full amount (or about 1.5x the cruise fare). Reducing the insurance amount to just the cruise drops the price considerably.

What amount should I insure? Does it matter to the underwriter, so is it just a way to put a maximum on the coverage?

Any advice appreciated.

for amount you would put down what you'd be out if you cancelled????

You need to check the policy you're buying to make sure you're coverage is sufficient.

Some policies require you to insure the FULL amount of all non-refundable trip costs in order to get coverage for items like pre-existing conditions, or cancel for any reason.

I always cover the entire trip expenses and I always choose cancel for any reason. I had the unfortunate experience of putting in a claim a year ago. I fell and broke my leg, elbow, ended up in a rehab/nursing facility wheelchair bound for 8 weeks. This happened 6 weeks before my cruise with 4 other family members. I cancelled for myself and husband. Took a ton of paperwork and I had to have RCCL send me an invoice showing what I lost for cancellation of the cruise. At the same time, my daughter's fiancé wasn't able to go due to a recent job change, so she went anyway but changed to a single person for her cabin. My reimbursement from insurance covered 100% of my out of pocket expenses. For the cost of the insurance which I can't remember the cost but it saved me from losing $4,000. I always take trip insurance and only have used it this time...but $4,000 is a lot of money to be lost so I am super happy I had insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always buy insurance since my husband had a mini stroke 15 years ago. We have used it 2X - one on a land trip that was canceled because our grandson who was going with us became very ill and was hospitalized,(and recovered), and the other time, on a cruise that we had to cancel 2 weeks before departure because mu DH tore his meniscus when he picked up our cat.

We figure we have broken even on the cost of the insurance but having the medical evacuation is what would cost us the most if it was ever needed.

Edited by mek

Any advice appreciated.

Trip Insurance Store website has answers to most of your trip insurance questions. Steve, the owner, is very helpful and can help you find the insurance to meet "your needs". One big thing to consider is that all trip insurance is not created equal and you need to get a policy that works for you. Good Luck!

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-frequently-asked-questions/

You can insure as much or as little as you want. Obviously, in regards to cancellation, you can only recover what you put down as 'trip cost'. That's why the price goes up. I've never insured for the price of the trip. My cancellation risk is very small (job won't change, vacations guaranteed by contract, young and healthy), but I have gotten medical/evacuation insurance separately. I've done some very expensive trips that made cancellation insurance prohibitively expensive, so have saved enough over the years to be self-insured against a cancellation.

There's no reason to insure anything refundable: cruise line shore excursions, prepaid gratuities, govt fees and taxes, prepaid anything on the cruise really). After that if not including the flight cost brings the insurance price down enough that you are willing to be out that cost, then price it accordingly. If you had to cancel and plan on re-scheduling, u might just be out a change fee on the tickets rather than the full amount. Only u know what you need to insure to feel comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any advice appreciated.

There is a whole travel insurance forum on Cruise Critic.

So briefly, you need to insure your non-refundable costs or non insured medical.

To insure your cruise amount, subtract the taxes and fees. Those will be refunded. Drink packages, excursions, pre-paid gratuities will also be refunded. Subtract those costs when shopping for insurance.

We usually fly SWA. No reason to insure, because it can be changed for a credit. If we have flights on another airline, we add the change fee to our estimated insurance cost.

We try not to book hotels with advance payment. There is no charge if we cancel. Check your reservation to see if the charges are not refundable. Add a non refundable hotel reservation cost to your insurance estimate.

Royal Caribbean shore excursions will be refunded. Private excursions are between you and the provider. If you have pre-paid non refundable (expensive) private shore excursions. You should probably add them to your insurance estimate.

Those are the things that I can think of. I hope that it helps with your planning. :)

Edited by Coralc

There is a whole travel insurance forum on Cruise Critic.

All good info; especially this! I've been on these boards for years and had no idea. . .I'll check it out now, although I now have a good idea of what I want/need to do based on these responses.

Thanks

Trip Insurance Store website has answers to most of your trip insurance questions. Steve, the owner, is very helpful and can help you find the insurance to meet "your needs". One big thing to consider is that all trip insurance is not created equal and you need to get a policy that works for you. Good Luck!

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-frequently-asked-questions/

We have also been using them for quite some time now and did not have any problem.

Check the policy's requirements regarding "co-insurance" limitations and preexisting conditions carefully!! Some policies require 100% coverage of the nonrefundable trip costs for the medical clauses to be in effect, other policies do not. (As for the trip expenses, your policy will cover the cost or the policy limit, whichever is less.) Computing the total trip cost is a little tricky since some "non-refundable" tickets can have value if cancelled in time. Trip insurance is expensive, especially as one gets up in years. It is my opinion that the risk of loss of the cruise and/or air fare is of less concern than the risk of a major medical event, especially if air evacuation is required.

Trip Costs:

1. insure all pre-paid, non-refundable travel arrangements

2. for all travelers

We have found that CSA has the most liberal pre existing conditions coverages--covering up to final payment +24hrs. Their website http://www.csatravelprotection.com is not great but CSA's customer service is knowledgeable so call them to ensure you get the plan that best fits your needs.