Formal Night Men's Wear question

SusieKIslandGirl

It's been awhile since we've been on a Princess cruise so wanted to ask if men need a jacket in order to dine in the MDR on formal nights? Will a long-sleeved shirt and tie suffice? Did do a search but all questions were from at least 2 years ago. It will be a 10 night SF to Mexico R/T. Thanks for your help.

From my experiences it has been different on different princess ships, aboard the grand princess back in early 2000s they let our family in with a collared button up, however in the past 2 years aboard the ruby (Oct 16), and coral (Dec15) yes you needed a jacket. They might let you in however you would definitely stick out. That has been my experience. If I didn't want to bring a suit or jacket I just put a button up on and went to a specialty restaurant (with extra few of course) and never had any issues.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Forums mobile app

From my experiences it has been different on different princess ships, aboard the grand princess back in early 2000s they let our family in with a collared button up, however in the past 2 years aboard the ruby (Oct 16), and coral (Dec15) yes you needed a jacket. They might let you in however you would definitely stick out. That has been my experience. If I didn't want to bring a suit or jacket I just put a button up on and went to a specialty restaurant (with extra few of course) and never had any issues.

Extra fee*

On the Star in December (i.e. last month), DH wore a turtleneck sweater.

On the Pacific in November/December 2015/16, DH wore his suit with the turtleneck (he hates ties). There was one man who wore jeans, suspenders and a t-shirt every night. :rolleyes:

They allowed him in MDR on formal nights??? :eek:

Note: I wasn't going to comment here as I dislike the formal night threads and all the contention they bring but I was actually appalled at what was posted.

Edited by Thrak

The truth is that the dress code is dependent on who is working at the door....and the Dining Room Manager. We have been on Princess cruises where they turned away men who were not wearing a jacket...or offered to load a jacket. And we have been on cruises where they would let just about any kind of dress into the MDR (on formal nights) including baseball caps and T-shirts. So if you go without a jacket it is a bit like rolling the dice.

Hank

It's been awhile since we've been on a Princess cruise so wanted to ask if men need a jacket in order to dine in the MDR on formal nights? Will a long-sleeved shirt and tie suffice? Did do a search but all questions were from at least 2 years ago. It will be a 10 night SF to Mexico R/T. Thanks for your help.

It doesn't meet the dress code, but it is unlikely anything will be said.

Yes it will.

We do understand that our current society is about "me me me" and "I can do as I please" and "etiquette is dead." That being said, Princess does publish their dress code for those who do not feel "entitled" to ignore their recommendations:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Just about ever other mass market line has eliminated formal nights (Cunard is till quite formal) but Princess has yet to make the change.

Hank

Have never worn a jacket and have never been turned away from the MDR on Formal nights. Always wear long sleeve shirt, tie and nice pants.

Those pushing the must conform issue have yet to realize that the policy has changed just not in writing yet.

Note: I wasn't going to comment here as I dislike the formal night threads and all the contention they bring but I was actually appalled at what was posted.

We were on the Regal just 3 weeks ago. A guy near us was wearing a kind of grungy tank top and running shorts on the last formal night--what most people might wear for yard work. His wife was dressed slightly better. But not much. If he was let in, anybody would be.

This was the least formal Princess cruise I have been on. Very few tuxes or even suits, a lot of sports jackets, dress shirts and ties, or just dress shirts. And a few totally under-dressed as well. Women; saw a couple of gorgeous ball gowns, some cocktail wear, a few longer dresses and quite a few just wearing normal clothes.

You don't need a jacket.

My inclination is like Thrak - to avoid posting anymore in these. If the OP had to go back 2+ years to find a thread, then the Mods must be deleting them as they were running hot and heavy early fall 2015 just before and around our last cruise.

From my past reading, the European theater is generally more formal than the North American theater (have never read enough definitive about Austral-Asia zone).

While I would not go so far as the letter of the written recommendations/requests (not requirements), I do believe in a modicum of decency in dress and I believe the reported examples above of obvious poor taste should have been turned away anywhere - even on a Caribbean cruise. I wouldn't think poor dress should be acceptable in the specialty restaurants either.

Problem is one man's poor is another man's okay. And there is certainly indication of wide variance in enforcement from ship to ship and DR to DR.

I also agree with the poster who stated that what is in writing is not what is enforced. It's true and it's not necessary to go to that level to be nicely presentable for the evening and be up a notch from the other nights. Of course anyone is welcome to dress to the 9's and enjoy.

IDK why it's so difficult as people seem to know what's appropriate to wear to work and a nice evening out back home - for the most part. And that's the thing - there is always going to be the odd outlier and instead of making a federal case, just let them stick out like a sore thumb and the rest of us can get on with our lives.

We were on the Regal just 3 weeks ago. A guy near us was wearing a kind of grungy tank top and running shorts on the last formal night--what most people might wear for yard work. His wife was dressed slightly better. But not much. If he was let in, anybody would be.

I've actually talked to a HW about this sort of thing. His attitude was "Well, it's horrible but what can you do?" Shrug.

And of course, no staffer wants to be written up. A friend of mine who used to work for Princess knows first-hand that upper management is more like to take a passenger's side and throw their employee to the sharks.

But in this case, I would have complained to the Maitre d'. And if he didn't make the guy go back and change, I would have emailed Santa Clarita. Maitre d's get paid a fair amount. The least they can do is do their job.

There are a few men who are not in jackets. The majority wear one. You will not be tuned away if you do not wear a jacket, but you will stand out,and not in a good way. From my experience, most men tend to wear a tie and jacket on formal night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cairn Mom

He'll be fine! :)

Like it or not, Princess is way less formal than it once was.

No.

Yes.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thrak,

I totally agree with you. I have never seen anyone dressed like that on formal nights. That guy deserves three :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tony

I just wanted to add:

FWIW, on our 10 day Mexico Rivera cruise, I wore a coat and tie in MDR on the first Formal Night. But after I noticed many men wearing shirts, no jackets, and no ties. Some wearing long sleeve dress shirts, sweaters, short sleeve or golf shirts. I did notice men wearing jeans (not torn, or ragged). No opinion on that.

So, I ditched the coat and tie, just wore a dress shirt, no tie, and khaki pants for the second Formal Night No problems at all. ;)

Enjoy your cruise.

Happy sailing in 2017. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I've actually talked to a HW about this sort of thing. His attitude was "Well, it's horrible but what can you do?" Shrug.

And of course, no staffer wants to be written up. A friend of mine who used to work for Princess knows first-hand that upper management is more like to take a passenger's side and throw their employee to the sharks.

But in this case, I would have complained to the Maitre d'. And if he didn't make the guy go back and change, I would have emailed Santa Clarita. Maitre d's get paid a fair amount. The least they can do is do their job.

DW and I could care less, what other PAX chose to wear for dining in the MDR. It doesn't impact the enjoyment of our meal. :). We make no judgement the circumstances or reason what PAX choose to wear. That's just us. YMMV.

In fact, we enjoy the Formal Night dress parade. Sometimes we have a good laugh at what PAX choose to wear on Formal Night :)

Happy sailing in 2017.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

DW and I could care less, what other PAX chose to wear for dining in the MDR. It doesn't impact the enjoyment of our meal. We make no judgement, not knowing the circumstances or why PAX choose what they wear. That's just us. YMMV.

In fact, we enjoy the Formal Night dress parade. Sometimes we have a good laugh at what PAX choose to wear on Formal Night

Happy sailing in 2017.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
Formal Night in MDR