Does Carnival get back to you after a bad review?

Camsnana

We were on the Carnival Magic, Dec 10-17th and had several bad things to report to Carnival in our review. ONE OF WHICH WAS HAVING HAIR IN MY FOOD TWICE DURING DINNER IN THE DINING ROOM....terrible housekeeping, smell in hallway, etc.

I thought they would get back to me after reading my review. I also posted the review on Cruise Critic, which was never posted. If I knew when I came off that cruise before we sailed, I would never have gone on that MAGICAL ship....

Any questions, email me at Jojo676@aol.com

Would love someone to hear of our really disappointing cruise.

Thanks for any help you can offer....

JoAnn

We were on the Carnival Magic, Dec 10-17th and had several bad things to report to Carnival in our review. ONE OF WHICH WAS HAVING HAIR IN MY FOOD TWICE DURING DINNER IN THE DINING ROOM....terrible housekeeping, smell in hallway, etc.

I thought they would get back to me after reading my review. I also posted the review on Cruise Critic, which was never posted. If I knew when I came off that cruise before we sailed, I would never have gone on that MAGICAL ship....

JoAnn

Sounds like your last trip was better than mine. No they do not get to you and very seldom bother with fixing isssues but they are really good at pretending they will fix the issue

When something happens on a ship that we don't like or find offensive we report it immediately. We don't wait to talk about it in a review.

We have had very good service and help in fixing issues aboard the Carnival ships.

I doubt if anyone in a corporate office spends their time reading reviews here on Cruise Critic.

IF you are talking about answering questions for the online survey that Carnival sends you then I believe they do read those but I would not expect a personal response unless you added your contact info and requested it.

OP: did you report your issues to the head of dinning room at time of incident or go to your head waiter? Did you go to GS and report your other issues as soon as you encountered it on the ship?

We were on the Magic the following week after you, we had one incident that was not that big of deal in our overall cruise (needed to be taken care sooner rather than later) but we did take the time to go to GS and make a report. They encouraged we make a written report and speak to the head of that department. We did and it was immediately brought to the attention of dept. head and addressed the same day.

Some things they can do something about immediately and some they cannot but until you actually go through the motions to make it known and try then you do not know what can be done. But at least you made the attempt and it is on record on the ship (ask for a copy of anything in writing).

JoAnn

Hi there

As people have said you will likely not get any response from Carnival.

As others have said you have to bring up your issues on the ship at the time they happen. What I mean is that if something happens you need to call someone over right away and get them to make it right (right away). If they don't or you are not happy with what they have done, you have to move the complaint up the chain right away. You also have to be realistic.

You said that there was hair in your food twice. As bad as it seems, what is the most you should expect (this would be at a restaurant at home as well)... you call the waiter over and you have them replace the dish. Did you do that? Did they replace the dish? What more would you like them to do? So, it happened twice, now you get really pissed off. You call the maître d' over and you give him ****. You tell him how this is disgusting and this is the second time in less than a week and what is he going to do about it. So now he is all apologetic, he will go to the kitchen and give the chef ****. He will see to it that you get another plate without a hair in it. Do you want him to do more? He might offer you a bottle of wine, he doesn't have to.

Now terrible housekeeping...you have to go to guest services right away and get the problem sorted out right away. If they don't fix the problem, you can remove the tips.

Smell in the hallway...while you are at guest services complaining about housekeeping you can ask about the smell. Sometimes there are odors that can't be fixed right away. You have to decide what is reasonable.

Can't do anything about etc., sorry.

Just so you know, cruise critic doesn't print all reviews, sometimes if they do they edit them. You can contact the administrators if you want more information. If you do want your review seen you can put I right here you don't even need to start a new thread. Lots of people write their review on this thread right after they come home.

If you have complaints that you want to tell us about, be specific about the situation as well as what you did to remedy the situation. People can only make suitable suggestions if the really understand the facts. While it is often put this way, generalizations like "terrible housekeeping" tells us nothing. We all like cruising, we all want a really great experience but when someone throw out a generalization like that we don't know what level of problem you had. What you consider a problem might not rise to the same level for someone else. You know "the soup was cold"...oh! it was supposed to be cold. :)

If you don't get resolution to complaints that you have and you have taken all the proper steps to find a resolution, then as a consumer I firmly believe that you should never give that company more of your money.

hope this help

I sent an email and followed up with letters singing the praises of how the Dream medical staff took such good care of my wife and I when we both got sick and also mentioned how great our room steward and MDR waiters were. Sent it to everyone including the CEO, Hotel Director and various staff people on the Corporate side and never heard a peep from them. Obviously the Corporate people don't understand communications from their customers are an important aspect of measuring the satisfaction of the people who choose to cruise with them. And no, I never received the on-line rating form.

Agree with all the above.

But, you can call their customer service number to talk about your experience. But if you did not lodge complaints while on the ship, your conversation will likely go nowhere. You won't get a refund, at best you'll get some % off your next cruise. Hair in your food was a missed opportunity for free dinner with a bottle of wine at the steakhouse, personal experience there.

The trouble is that they just go by numbers, from their point of view there were thousands of happy guests on the cruise and just a few that were not. From a statistical gathering standpoint, you just look at the weekly numbers and then compare over stretches of time. If the rating was to fall substantially, several cruises in a row, then it may prompt someone dig into the reviews.

Since I work in stats, the way the reviews work may not be what you think. The word count in comments is a stat that you can use since comments are typically negative, you can use the statistic of the word count from reviews to determine overall satisfaction with whatever you are polling about. You can also group the most appearing words or phrases in comments which will typically yield the flaws without having to read each comment.

Agree with all the above.

But, you can call their customer service number to talk about your experience. But if you did not lodge complaints while on the ship, your conversation will likely go nowhere. You won't get a refund, at best you'll get some % off your next cruise. Hair in your food was a missed opportunity for free dinner with a bottle of wine at the steakhouse, personal experience there.

The trouble is that they just go by numbers, from their point of view there were thousands of happy guests on the cruise and just a few that were not. From a statistical gathering standpoint, you just look at the weekly numbers and then compare over stretches of time. If the rating was to fall substantially, several cruises in a row, then it may prompt someone dig into the reviews.

Since I work in stats, the way the reviews work may not be what you think. The word count in comments is a stat that you can use since comments are typically negative, you can use the statistic of the word count from reviews to determine overall satisfaction with whatever you are polling about. You can also group the most appearing words or phrases in comments which will typically yield the flaws without having to read each comment.

^^Agree^^

Sounds like your last trip was better than mine. No they do not get to you and very seldom bother with fixing isssues but they are really good at pretending they will fix the issue

LOL, when was your last cruise?

We sailed on her back in Oct with none of the issues you mention. Not saying you didn't encounter them, just that our experience was completely different from yours.

That being said, we had a challenge a couple of cruises back (different ship). I went to GS, explained our issue and they handled it right then. Addressing the problem immediately can be quite important for resolution. I also mentioned it in our survey and did receive a call from corporate asking about what happened.

Another time I emailed the supervisor of our pvp to tell him how much we enjoyed her service and he also replied. So you might hear from corporate or might not. I don't think they contact everyone but do a random response to some of the messages or reviews.

I've always attempted to get any issues that come up during a cruise resolved while I am on the cruise.

I have usually been satisfied with the solution, but if I wasn't, I would prepare and save any and all documentation, photos, etc., that I think would support my position.

I've always attempted to get any issues that come up during a cruise resolved while I am on the cruise.

I have usually been satisfied with the solution, but if I wasn't, I would prepare and save any and all documentation, photos, etc., that I think would support my position.

agreed.

Few cruises ago had a problem with waitstaff ignoring my DW food allergies .

When I showed this to the head waiter he shrugged his shoulders saying what can I do.

This was the next to last night of the cruise and brought my complaint to MD who apologized and do believe waitstaff was talked to at length. They did send us bottle of wine and cheese plate and made us a special dinner that was sent to us on lido when we told him we didnt want to deal with waitstaff the last night of the cruise.

agreed.

Few cruises ago had a problem with waitstaff ignoring my DW food allergies .

When I showed this to the head waiter he shrugged his shoulders saying what can I do.

This was the next to last night of the cruise and brought my complaint to MD who apologized and do believe waitstaff was talked to at length. They did send us bottle of wine and cheese plate and made us a special dinner that was sent to us on lido when we told him we didnt want to deal with waitstaff the last night of the cruise.

Sorry Sheila had a hard time in the MDR but wonder why you waited until the second to last night to speak up. There went their tips.

Then, sometimes they bend over backwards for you. We complained about the CE night ribs being ice-box cold one cruise. Every cruise since (at least 5 years) then we've always had piping hot ribs. Whether we've ordered them or not. One of the few advantages of home port cruising. Same waitress over the years, sometimes she wasn't even serving our table!

We know they take the reviews and after-cruise surveys seriously. That's how crew gets promoted and choice contracts. On rare occasion, a Carnival rep will ask a CC OP to contact them directly. Many years ago CC members convinced Carnival to change the design of the Sail and Sign card.

Edited by SadieN

I think carnival loves all feedback both good and bad. I know I provided feedback about short shower curtains and water getting all over the floor. My cabin boy said not to worry about it. We have gone on a couple more cruises and the shower curtains were still short. Some shorter so I guess they don't care about water all over the cabins and leaking to the rooms below and through the ceiling. I'm a big booty person so my booty tends to send the curtain out over the bathroom floor and the water goes with it. I figure if Carnival don't care then I don't care but my husband gets really pissed about wet floors. I suppose if the carpet is wet in the hallway, then he can't blame me but he will probably try to. :confused::mad: Grumpy old men!!! :eek::eek:

I thought they would get back to me after reading my review.

Just imagine how many staff they will need to read and respond to all negative reviews. Just don't expect and charge to experience.

Edited by easyboy

Those stating Carnival won't get back to you are incorrect, actually they may, just don't count on it. It appears to be a random thing with the return contact and they don't contact everyone.

As I mentioned in my earlier post and from my experience, they did contact me after a cruise where I had an issue but that doesn't mean it will necessarily happen again should a situation arise and I wouldn't expect it.

JoAnn

I am amazed at the complaints I read on these boards made by folks who didn't take the time to complain while they were cruising??