Excursions Weight Limit

Shaggy524

Hello we are doing a cruise on Carnival this upcoming February. This is our first cruise. We are planning on doing the Beach Horseback Ride & Swim in Mahogany Bay. They state there is a weight limit of 250 lbs. Do they actually check the weight? My boyfriend is trying his best to get to that weight but may be over by 1-10 lbs. I would hate to pay for him and he cannot do it. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Just thinking about the poor horse. Do you think he/she would care if somebody weighed 249 or 251? Either way that is tough on certain type horses. Many horses cannot handle over 220 much less 250.

Hank

Thanks for the input. I was told by an avid rider that owns their own horse that the more a person weighs that the company will fit the this person with the right horse, meaning taller horses or a stocky one. Looks like we are going to be at the gym a lot more for the next couple months to hit that weight limit!

My experience has been that if there's a weight limit stated, they do weigh the participants. And, keep in mind that he'll be weighed with all his clothes on and if he's been drinking significantly he may be retaining a few pounds of water weight as well. Sometimes the weighing takes place in front of everyone, too. Ugh.

When my weight was higher and we wanted to ride I usually found a private tour operator in the area. Then I would contact them and ask if they had a horse for someone bigger. Most times it worked and my horses were usually named Colossus or something similar. Ships tours may be less flexible. Good luck.

If somebody is over the weight restriction, then I think it is irresponsible to do the tour. Even if clients are paired to a suitable horse, there will obviously be a top weight limit. Not fair on the poor horse.

Totally agree ! Perhaps the OP and her companion should consider another type of excursion if they are not well within the limits of this horseback riding excursion by the time of the cruise.

My experience is that in the Caribbean, money blurs rules and guidelines. As someone who has owned horses, 250lbs is just an arbitrary number given to keep the really large tourist from even giving it a thought. I would guess that a few pounds over would not be a deal killer, but is it worth the risk?

Burt

Totally agree ! Perhaps the OP and her companion should consider another type of excursion if they are not well within the limits of this horseback riding excursion by the time of the cruise.

If this was a horse who was not ridden daily, putting someone who weighs that much (or more) on the horse may not hurt the horse. But, these are "tourist" horses who are ridden day in, day out, sometimes multiple times. To have to have an overweight person on the back will eventually have an effect. Think of it this way - the operator is thinking a little of the health and safety of the horses that bring in his income.

As for other types of excursions: do not look at zip lines, either. The weight limits are there for true safety of the guests. Any operator who would allow someone of that size on the lines is a place that I would avoid! (I used to work at a place in the summers that had zip lines and the weight was STRICTLY enforced at no more than 220lbs. We weighed everyone.) Also, check any boat-based snorkel excursions also. There are some out there who rightly have weight limits for the health and safety of both the guest and the crew; if something happens in the water, the crew has to be able to rescue the guest and get them onboard. Every try dragging dead weight? A well-trained firefighter is tested to handle a dummy that weighs about 180lbs - add 40-70lbs to that and you understand. That is why there is the limit.

My experience is that in the Caribbean, money blurs rules and guidelines. As someone who has owned horses, 250lbs is just an arbitrary number given to keep the really large tourist from even giving it a thought. I would guess that a few pounds over would not be a deal killer, but is it worth the risk?

I have seen them weigh people on horseback excursions and unfortunately, I have seen the humiliation in people's faces when they are denied participating in the excursion. If you look anywhere near the 250 mark or higher, they weigh you, and they are not discreet about it. So, there could even be some embarrassment in those who are slightly under 250.

Edited by Aquahound

I have seen them weigh people on horseback excursions and unfortunately, I have seen the humiliation in people's faces when they are denied participating in the excursion. If you look anywhere near the 250 mark or higher, they weigh you, and they are not discreet about it. So, there could even be some embarrassment in those who are slightly under 250.

Yep, that's the risk. There are so many other things to do, I would consider plan B.

Burt

Everyone is on the side of the horse.

Me too.

Yes, money might sway the limits - but not with ship tours. If you've already committed knowing the limit, the vendor can decline and will still be paid. Win - win for them and the horse.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Yes, money might sway the limits - but not with ship tours.

LOL, Really!. I have posted several times that I don't recommend the Zip Line at St. Kitts because of the unsafe personnel. We were on a "SHIP Tour". Our day sail captain told us he almost turned over a dingy when he ignored the weight of his passenger. He said it was lesson learned.

I think some folks here are being naive about shore tours. They are run by normal people who have the same flaws of making bad judgments and decisions as many of us. Don't assume you are in safer hands just because the cruise line uses them.

Burt

Part of the reason they have the weight limit for horseback riding is the horses on the islands are generally on the smaller side. They can't carry as much weight as a larger horse. They do this for the health of the horses, it can be really hard and bad on their back to carry too much weight for their body type especially with someone that does not know how to ride and can't balance as well as an experienced rider.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It wasn't exactly the same scenario but I was scheduled on a snorkel cruise and was asked a standard question on medications and when I mentioned I was on pills for high blood pressure they wouldn't take me. Princess tried their best to get me to take a less strenuous excursion but I was quite irritated at this point (lifetime of swimming and snorkeling under my belt) I declined. They did refund my excursion costs without any issues.

I would be willing to bet if are denied you would receive your money back.

Thanks for the input. I was told by an avid rider that owns their own horse that the more a person weighs that the company will fit the this person with the right horse, meaning taller horses or a stocky one. Looks like we are going to be at the gym a lot more for the next couple months to hit that weight limit!

Hi Shaggy

Hit the gym because it's good for you. Your boyfriend I would imagine likes his food. You are going to be on a cruise with food everywhere. I don't know if you guys drink as well, but a week of eating and drinking will usually account for expanded waistlines for most of us. Getting your weight to where you want before the cruise will make it easier to not feel guilty when you go for that extra desert.

have a great cruise

I think folks should be aware that shore excursion people may have little to no sensitivity when dealing with overweight cruise passengers. Being weighed in public and told you can't continue is horrible to experience.

You got that one right! DH and I once saw some poor woman in tears because she wasn't being allowed to go on a helicopter ride she'd booked. Felt sorry for her, but the weight limits are always listed out clearly. :(

As a seriously overweight person, I have to say it can't be a surprise to people that they are over the weight limit. I have contacted tour providers as well as the cruise line to ASK about weight limits for tours I want to take, if they weren't posted. No one keeps it a secret; they don't want unhappy customers. I actually found some flightseeing tours with lifts to get handcapped passengers onto the plane or copter, but the lifts have weight limits too. I telephoned the dolphin encounter people in the Bahamas to discuss my weight problem and ask if they could accommodate me. (They did, and it was a wonderful excursion - but when I find a weight limit I can't meet, I move on.) I don't understand about the blood pressure pills - they OUGHT to worry about the people with high blood pressure who aren't on pills! I have to admit, that is one I wouldn't have thought to ask about.

I don't understand about the blood pressure pills - they OUGHT to worry about the people with high blood pressure who aren't on pills! I have to admit, that is one I wouldn't have thought to ask about.

Many excursions have medical restrictions as well, especially snorkeling/diving ones because if you are out in open water or 50 feet down and have say an asthma attack it could be very dangerous, I'm guessing the same idea for blood pressure problems it could be dangerous if something were to happen.

I know it's not likely and kind of a pain, it was really hard to find snorkeling excursions I was allowed to do while pregnant even though I was still physically active and had been many times before and knew I could handle it just fine. Unfortunately the description on one did not say pregnant women weren't allowed so we booked it and found out when we got to the tour. They only refunded a small portion because there were other things I was able to do, however I was not a happy camper, very upset pregnant lady on the beach was not very fun for my poor husband...

> very upset pregnant lady on the beach was not very fun for my poor husband

LOL! You had to suffer through wild hormonal changes and blowing up like a balloon (not to mention childbirth!), he can live with a few not-fun episodes.

He was actually awesome about it but I felt awful and kept apologizing to him while I was a crying blubbering mess and telling him to go snorkeling but he refused to leave me by myself. We still had a good time just not what we had paid for.