Good list of "must haves" for first timers

zdub86

Hi. Back when I registered on this site a few months ago I found a thread on here (I think it was on the "first time cruisers" board), that had a bunch of good replies for "must have" items to bring, such as a power strip, travel size shampoo/conditioner, air freshener, noise machine, pack lightly, battery chargers, etc. So please forgive me for not being able to find it, but could somebody possibly link me to that post?? Since my cruise is right around the corner (Feb 5th) I'd like to start compiling a list of things to bring, since this will be our first cruise. Thanks in advance!!

You don't need to take a bunch of stuff. Money, passport, I'd. That's it. If you don't use it at home you don't need it on the ship. All that stuff takes up precious real estate in the suitcase. But, I'm sure others have different opinions. Either way, have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi. Back when I registered on this site a few months ago I found a thread on here (I think it was on the "first time cruisers" board), that had a bunch of good replies for "must have" items to bring, such as a power strip, travel size shampoo/conditioner, air freshener, noise machine, pack lightly, battery chargers, etc. So please forgive me for not being able to find it, but could somebody possibly link me to that post?? Since my cruise is right around the corner (Feb 5th) I'd like to start compiling a list of things to bring, since this will be our first cruise. Thanks in advance!!

Try using the "search" function on here. Type in "packing list" . That should bring up several posts.

On my first cruise I followed these 'must pack' lists, and honestley I felt so silly- you don't need a power strip, an over the door hanger, or duct tape! You're on a luxury cruise, not a camping trip lol. Most cabins have everything you need.

The only special items I found useful were:

A magnet, which I used to stick the daily to the cabin wall so it was easily found (but by no means is this essential, I won't bring one next time)

A coffee flask so you can fill it in the buffet and take it round the ship with you

A small light- one of the ones you press to activate- which we used in the bathroom. This was useful because if someone needs the bathroom in the night, they don't turn on a bright light and wake the other person. We were in an inside, this probably isn't needed if you have a window as the cabin isn't so dark

Water bottles with in-built filters- made the water from the cabin taste better, and doubled as water bottles to take on excursions

This isn't specifically a PACKING must haves thread, but I did find the "What I wish I'd known ..." thread to be very helpful ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1086757

I commented at length there on a few observations from my recent first cruise, but the parts that most relate to packing (based purely on my 'first' experience and preferences) are:

DO NOT OVER PACK! You do not need everything in your closet. Plan mix & match and possibly to re-wear items. I took 5 mix & match outfits of casual tops/tees and skorts/capris ... I didn't even wear half of them. (Similarly, my travel partner packed WAY too many pairs of jeans and pants ... in addition to his shorts and swim trunks.) I'll pack much lighter next time. I spent almost all day in swimsuit and cover-up dress. Plan just a few pair of shoes that will coordinate with multiple outfits. I enjoyed having 3 dresses and being able to dress up a LITTLE for dinner several nights, but they were fairly casual and I wore one pair of neutral wedge heels all three nights. I chose not to bring a super formal dress, but one of my dresses definitely would have been okay, just not impressive, if we'd opted for formal night. I am happy that I took two swimsuits, and if i were young and hot and really loved showing off in a swimsuit - I'd probably have taken a bunch of different bikinis ... but as it were, two basic suits were fine for me.

On the non-clothing side of things ... I found some of the suggestions that I had seen in 'first time cruise videos' on other items to bring along to be a bit excessive. I'm glad I had some basic first aid items and OTC meds, even though we didn't need any of them except the Tums. But I personally don't think you need to try to pack something for EVERY possible situation imaginable. I didn't even bring a power cord. For us the TWO outlets were fine, we had two phones two phone chargers ... that was about it for really needing an outlet. When I needed to use the hair dryer or my flat iron, I unplugged one phone and used them. No biggie. (But someone else might find a power cord/extension more essential than we did.)

A small pair of scissors came in handy several times as did the wine bottle opener but other than that I can't really think of much other than personal care/grooming items that we needed at all. We had our reading glasses, books, Poo-Pouri for the bathroom (which I prefer over Febreze or other aerosol sprays), cotton swabs, sunblock, etc. but to me those are basics ... And, i did find the magnetic hooks suggestion to be worthwhile ... there's a ton of storage in the room, and 4 hooks on the bathroom door, but extra hooks for hanging bathrobes, swimsuits, etc. did come in handy!

A small light- one of the ones you press to activate- which we used in the bathroom. This was useful because if someone needs the bathroom in the night, they don't turn on a bright light and wake the other person. We were in an inside, this probably isn't needed if you have a window as the cabin isn't so dark

Even smaller/lighter/cheaper is just to go to the dollar store and pick up a battery tealight candle. I bring these on every trip now! You can leave it on all night and it will last several trips, makes enough glow in the lavatory so you don't need to turn on the light.

led-flicker-tea-light.jpg

Edited by Sauer-kraut

You don't need most of that junk.

What's important to you? If you will have a bunch of devices, fine, maybe you need a power strip but the cabins are well designed. You will have outlets.

You do get shampoo & conditioner in the cabin. I don't like them so I pack my own but that is the only reason.

I never needed the extra storage space, over the door shoe hanger stuff. I find the cabins well designed with lots of places to put stuff. Never had a problem.

A white noise machine is superfluous unless you sleep with one at home. You can hear actual waves if the balcony door is open; why would you need recorded water noises?

At least two swimsuits, a highlighter, sunscreen, some post its, a magnet & a large insulated mug are all the extras we bring.

I personally like to take an over-the-door shoe holder, which I use to keep all the odds and ends, like hairbrush, suncreen, bug repellent, books, hair elastics, camera, memory cards, sunglasses, etc. Some don't find this necessary, but my husband and I have been on 15 cruises and find that it helps to keep us organized and not to have stuff scattered across the cabin. Just my opinion.

I don't pack any differently for a cruise than I do for ANY vacation! Bring the clothes for the climate you'll be in...and whatever personal care items you take on any trip.

We've never needed 90% of the misc. stuff on most of those "lists"!

I agree you don't need all that "stuff", but I like my stuff. So I bring it if there is room.

This is my packing strategy. I carry one suitcase, either 22 or 25 depending on length of trip and how often I will have to carry it myself vs porters, drivers, etc. Then a carry on size tote. And my purse.

As to what goes in the bags: if it fits, it can go. I start with the essentials like clothes, shoes and toiletries. Then add other things. I start with things I really need/want and end with Meh, I could take it or leave it. If there's not enough room or the bag is too heavy I leave it.

I try to carefully plan my wardrobe but I hate not having options so some may say I'm overpacked. Well, alrighty then. My bag, my back. So, to me if you find it useful and are willing to carry it, then bring it.

I have never needed an over the door shoe holder, magnets, post its, bungee cords. I have used duct tape. I always bring my own pillow. Something to play music on (don't forget the headphones), a book, some playing cards.

I actually love reading all the lists. I learn so much. My favorite advice: "bring half the clothes and twice the money."

This may be the list you're looking for: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986205

Thank you everyone for the great advice!! I will now start compiling my list of personal items to bring.

One big question that I know my wife will ask:

I know there are power outlets in the rooms, but how many? I'm sure it varies by cruise line. We will be on the Carnival Breeze. She's probably going to need one outlet in the bathroom for hair dryer and flat iron, is there usually an outlet in the bathroom?? The only other essentials we would plug in would be phone chargers and the charger for our mini bluetooth speaker which is essential for us, as we like to listen to music.

The only things you must have are your ticket, your (appropriate) identification, and your wallet. Everything else is dispensable.

For the things you might want to have -- well, that will depend on the specifics of how many people, how long a voyage, and what you do/have/enjoy. A power strip is not necessary unless there are multiple people with multiple devices that need recharging. Travel sized shampoo/conditioner aren't required as every ship will have some available - but if you want you're own brand you could bring some. Whether you bring full sized or travel sized depends on a lot of different factors. Air freshener? I've never needed it, and I don't use it at home either. Ziplock bags of different sizes are handy, but not a "must". Ditto for a small roll of duct tape.

You get the idea -- there are things you might want, but they're not "must haves".......and even the things that are recommended by some people may not be worthwhile or even ever used by you in your particular circumstances.

In our cabin there were only two outlets and I believe this is fairly standard for basic cabins across the different lines ... (based on comments on the boards) ... and there was not an outlet actually in the bathroom, so hair stuff was done at the desk/vanity area, not in the tiny bathroom.

For us the TWO outlets were fine, we had two phones two phone chargers ... didn't email or blog or do anything with a tablet or lap top so the phones were about it for really needing an outlet. When I needed to use the hair dryer or my flat iron, I unplugged one phone and used the outlet. No biggie.

If you do decide to take a power strip, I've read that it needs to be one with OUT surge protection ... something about safety/electrical issues on ships ... but since I didn't take one, I have no first hand knowledge.

In our cabin there were only two outlets and I believe this is fairly standard for basic cabins across the different lines ... (based on comments on the boards) ... and there was not an outlet actually in the bathroom, so hair stuff was done at the desk/vanity area, not in the tiny bathroom.

For us the TWO outlets were fine, we had two phones two phone chargers ... didn't email or blog or do anything with a tablet or lap top so the phones were about it for really needing an outlet. When I needed to use the hair dryer or my flat iron, I unplugged one phone and used the outlet. No biggie.

If you do decide to take a power strip, I've read that it needs to be one with OUT surge protection ... something about safety/electrical issues on ships ... but since I didn't take one, I have no first hand knowledge.

Actually, there is an outlet in the bathroom. Typically, it's located near the top right-hand corner of the mirror, and is primarily for using an electric razor. The outlet is connected to the bathroom's light switch, so when you turn off the light, you're also turning off the outlet. Not useful for plugging in a nightlight. We bring a regular power strip (no surge protector) that we plug into the outlet above the vanity. That way, we're able to charge up more than one rechargeable thing at a time. Bringing a power strip is optional, but don't forget to bring the chargers for any electronic devices (iPad, camera, cell phone, etc.) you'll be using. A battery operated candle or tap light works very well as a nightlight. Remember to pack any meds. you might need, both prescription and non-prescription. A small bottle of aspirin (or Tylenol) on the ship is kind of pricey. Also, a small first-aid kit is handy to have.

Actually, there is an outlet in the bathroom.

In cabin 7516 on BotS? I looked around and didn't see an outlet to plug in the hair dryer, but perhaps I didn't look in the correct place. I'll be sure to look at the top right next time ... :confused:

Cruise documents as outlined by cruise line.

Cash or credit card to fund on-board account and for discretionary spending.

Prescription meds in a day planner container. OTC meds if you generally use them at home. Sun screen, insect repellent and anti-motion pills if you are prone to motion sickness.

Personal hygiene items you would pack for any type of vacation.

We take post it notes to leave messages for each other. We take thank-you notes, anticipating leaving tips for extraordinary service. These are personal, not general, items we choose to take.

Take a good attitude and relax. We find it helpful to underpack, leaving room in our luggage and carry-on for souvenirs we pick up along the way. Except for documents and post-it notes and thank-you cards I don't pack any differently than I do for any other vacation.

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I just got back to the forums and read this post. One of the things that came in really handy for me and it wasn't mentioned was--a large zip lock bag for my dirty undies and socks. Go to Manards and get one that is larger than 2 gallon if you can find it. If you are not going to use the ships laundry service it really helps. It is a life saver for me.

I agree about not needing all the extra stuff. It is all just added weight to lug around. A power surge with extra plug-ins might be needed but leave the other stuff home. As far as needing all those clothes--no one remembers what you wear anyway. Not even to dinner. Mix and Match. 3 pair of shoes is all us girls need--1 pair tennis shoes, flats or heels (1pair) and 1 flip flop. That is it. Like others have said

Leave the kitchen sink home. The main thing to take is a smile and great attitude about your cruise.

Yes, I did forget about the shampoo/conditioner combination. Also on embarkation day, the elevators will be used for getting luggage to the cabins. So you will have to use the steps to get up to any decks. A light weight carry-on is easier to haul around. Have fun.

Passport and credit card with a good limit is all you really need (plus clean underpants)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We normally pack a small collapsible cooler; I am a huge fan of ice cold drinks, so having a small one to ice down the bottled water we have in the room is nice. We also take a pop up hamper to put dirty clothes in, although many use their empty suitcase for this.

I'm a fan of the over-the-door shoe organizer, but it is not a necessity. I would consider the small first aid kit with a basic supply of analgesics a necessity, as well as my bubba cup for my water around the ship.

Take what you think you might need/want, and ignore the rest of us. It's YOUR vacation!

On my first cruise I followed these 'must pack' lists, and honestley I felt so silly- you don't need a power strip, an over the door hanger, or duct tape! You're on a luxury cruise, not a camping trip lol. Most cabins have everything you need.

The only special items I found useful were:

A magnet, which I used to stick the daily to the cabin wall so it was easily found (but by no means is this essential, I won't bring one next time)

A coffee flask so you can fill it in the buffet and take it round the ship with you

Water bottles with in-built filters- made the water from the cabin taste better, and doubled as water bottles to take on excursions

This!

We didn't need a light because we sleep with the TV on so that gives enough light to see for anyone getting up at night. We did take a highlighter but we won't the next cruise because our ship has the Hub app so we won't need the Fun Times. Everything else made me feel silly for even thinking about taking it.

Oh and the person that said all you need is underpants, passport and credit card... Don't forget shoes. You can't go to formal night in just your underpants. You need shoes too. :D

In cabin 7516 on BotS? I looked around and didn't see an outlet to plug in the hair dryer, but perhaps I didn't look in the correct place. I'll be sure to look at the top right next time ... :confused:

I've been on 4 different ships with three different lines (not a big cruiser but a "want to be") and in everyone of them , there was an outlet in the bathroom--it was for electric razors, low power, and would not run any other electric device or charge anything. So even if you found it, it would not have helped!:D