Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

And they post thousands of times on CC , and who knows elsewhere, leaving their identities all over the Internet.

That's not the same as being exposed to unwelcome "visits" through having your physical location seen and tracked via the Medallion. I think I might lose mine.

That's not the same as being exposed to unwelcome "visits" through having your physical location seen and tracked via the Medallion. I think I might lose mine.

Your phone has a GPS. So do many new cars. You visit web sites and many ask for your location. You are on a ship. They know where you are. Paranoia run rampant. Black helicopters from the UN, anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your phone has a GPS. So do many new cars. You visit web sites and many ask for your location. You are on a ship. They know where you are. Paranoia run rampant. Black helicopters from the UN, anyone?

Not really the same thing. No one is asking for your location here. They are telling you. One ought to be asked. Passengers should have rights, but don't. And won't if people just sit back and let corporations do what suits them and even help them by calling fellow travelers names if they raise questions.

Not really the same thing. No one is asking for your location here. They are telling you. One ought to be asked. Passengers should have rights, but don't. And won't if people just sit back and let corporations do what suits them and even help them by calling fellow travelers names if they raise questions.

Why are you so concerned about their knowledge of your location/habits/purchases?

It's not much different than what they had prior.

Edited by floridalover5623

Firstly, you sign a passenger contract, as you do with airlines, credit cards, etc, whereby you are accepting their regulations. Secondly, if you ever leave the ship while on cruise, they know as they do when you purchase anything. Thirdly, if you use toll roads and have the pass, the state knows where your registered vehicle was at that time. Fourth, if you visit cities like London, CCTV is everywhere and you can be followed. Fifth, unless you only use cash, your purchases and locations are available to cc companies.

To worry that the ship knows you are on board is paranoia. Do you really think there are crew dedicated to following you on computers at all times?

My wife and I visited a new (to us) venue the other night for wine and music. While we were there her phone dinged and Facebook had tagged her as being in the venue. Anybody who has a Facebook account and is concerned about "privacy" because the Medallion can be used to locate you on a ship is nuts. If you have a FB account you have already abdicated any rights to privacy you may have ever had.

Bit by bit people accept these invasions of privacy until they find them normal. They even decide that to be concerned about it is paranoia. Very sad.

If you want to interact with society, there are trade offs. And privacy is one of those. It starts when you are assigned a SS number at birth and you need it for school, to get paid, file taxes, get credit, get a passport to travel, etc. So you are invaded from first breath.

A Princess Ocean Medallion would be far down the list of privacy invasions. You should be more worried when the Justice Dept asks for a list of all people who visited a web site or when some faux election commission wants total background of registered voters.

To worry that the ship knows you are on board is paranoia.

With the old cruise card, they know if you are on board or not.

With the Medallion, they know exactly where you (assuming the Medallion is with you) are, be it a rest room, a bar, an entertainment venue or even someone else's cabin.

The Princess publicity for the Medallion says that a performer in the Princess Theater can tell if you are watching him from your cabin which means they are also tracking what channel on the TV you are watching.

With the Medallion, they know exactly where you (assuming the Medallion is with you) are, be it a rest room, a bar, an entertainment venue or even someone else's cabin.

Providing you're nor using an RFDI wallet or piece of aluminum foil to hide your location.

The Princess publicity for the Medallion says that a performer in the Princess Theater can tell if you are watching him from your cabin which means they are also tracking what channel on the TV you are watching.

:):):)

Like a Nielsen box.

I will add my experience of latest Disney trip. Have been using "Magic Bands" for sometime. On last weeks visit, we arrived at "Be Our Guest" restaurant, checked in at desk and the host said sit anywhere.

Lo and behold our lunch was brought to us very quickly. Now for anyone not familiar with this restaurant, it consists of 3 huge dining rooms, how did they know where we sat? GPS? Next we were on a ride using fast pass and on the teleprompter our names were displayed during the ride. How fun is that!

so, is this a new member level, or is it simply a service you will have to pay extra for?

Looks like a service you pay extra for. I don't really see the value in it for us, but it might be to some folks.

Neither one. It is the system that is supposed to replace the cruise card that is currently in use. I suspect that the reactions by people are much the same as when the cruise card was introduced to replace actual room keys, etc. many years ago (long before I started cruising.) And, when something comes along that will replace the Medallions, the same positive and negative viewpoints will probably be heard then too. ;p

Tom

Neither one. It is the system that is supposed to replace the cruise card that is currently in use. I suspect that the reactions by people are much the same as when the cruise card was introduced to replace actual room keys, etc. many years ago (long before I started cruising.) And, when something comes along that will replace the Medallions, the same positive and negative viewpoints will probably be heard then too. ;p

Tom

I only hope I'm around for the next thing to come down after the Medallion system.

Should prove interesting. :cool:

It should not come as a surprise that "Ocean Medallion" is designed for only one thing: increase Princess revenues. It is not designed as a benefit to "guests," for improved security, or to enhance guest experience onboard. It is designed to help princess separate your from your money by facilitating more shop purchases, faster beverage purchases and encourage the making of spa appointments. Period. Everything they tell us about "Medallion Class" is marketing.

It should not come as a surprise that "Ocean Medallion" is designed for only one thing: increase Princess revenues. It is not designed as a benefit to "guests," for improved security, or to enhance guest experience onboard. It is designed to help princess separate your from your money by facilitating more shop purchases, faster beverage purchases and encourage the making of spa appointments. Period. Everything they tell us about "Medallion Class" is marketing.

It's also more attractive to the upcoming generation of cruisers, Millennials. Us pre-boomers, boomers, gen-x and gen-y cruisers are eventually going to Davey Jones' Locker. If Princess is going to stick around for the next fifty years, they've got to be ready.

While it appears to me that you're making this a statement of fact, in reality, unless you have some source of information deep in the bowels of the Princess management structure, what you have written is strictly your opinion, nothing more. It appears to me, and yes, this is my opinion, nothing more, that you don't have a very high opinion of what Princess' opinion is of it's customers or care about how they are treated on their ships. To listen to you, the only thing they care about is how much money they can get from them, nothing else. Of course, one of their concerns is income, that is what a business is established to do, make money for their owners. I doubt if there are very many companies around who are in business just for chuckles and grins. But, and this is a big but, if they don't take care of their customers, they aren't going to be a viable company for very long and they will soon be gone. Would any of us agree with everything that Princess or any other company does? Probably not, but that doesn't mean that one or any of us are more correct than those who made the decision to go with the change from cruise cards to medallions. It does appear, however, that Disney's decision to go with their program seemed to work for them. Will everybody who cruises Princess like the new program? Probably not, but if they don't, they can always go to another line that still uses the cruise card method. Might the new program hit major snags and perhaps fail to work as it was expected? Yep, sure might. But to ascribe all of the reasons that Princess has gone to a new program strictly to financial greed and to heck with the passengers/customers is ludicrous, to my way of thinking.

Me, I'll wait and see how it works before I make a decision as to how good or how bad it is. I suspect it will have things that most of us will use and things that we won't. But I sure don't see it as the "big brother" that some do.

One person's opinion.

Tom

Totally agree. Too get you to spend more without thinking about spending. The sea pass card already does this. This is just the next level.

I suspect that they will also expect to realise efficiency savings by, for example, more efficient utilisation of staff (and ultimately reduction of staff).