Revisit taxi fare from PE to FLL

Abbabug

Good morning everyone,

It is almost the end of our cruise. I wanted to revisit taxi fares as I believe we were over charged last time. Not sure if there has been any changes with regards to taxi fares.

Are taxi fares from PE to FLL by meter or a flat rate? How much should it be (approx)?

There will be 6 of us with check in and carryons luggages. Should we take two taxis?

Good morning everyone,

It is almost the end of our cruise. I wanted to revisit taxi fares as I believe we were over charged last time. Not sure if there has been any changes with regards to taxi fares.

Are taxi fares from PE to FLL by meter or a flat rate? How much should it be (approx)?

There will be 6 of us with check in and carryons luggages. Should we take two taxis?

No flat rate, but the meter charge should be around $15. You might all be able to fit into a minivan taxi.

Port Everglades is known for shady "taxi" practices. If you are quoted a "per person" price, you are getting a shared shuttle ride, not a taxi. Just walk away and ask for a real taxi.

Edited by clarea

Good morning everyone,

could you just do UBER= it is much easier and you can request the size of the vehicle for the 6 of you + luggage.

Good morning everyone,

You also have the problem with those drivers that wait until you get into the taxi at the cruise port and start the trip before they tell you that they won't run the meter. The last time the guy wanted $25 so we just tipped him nothing since the meter charge should be around 15. One of the prior times, the guy said $40 and we told him to stop the van so he changed his mind and settled for $30.

We had a guy from a private shuttle service who was standing near the exit and asked my wife if she was going to the airport.

He started loading our luggage in the van and I realized it was not a taxi and told him to hold up.

When I asked how much he said $40.

I said no way and get the bags out. He was pissed...

So be careful of the scams......

You also have the problem with those drivers that wait until you get into the taxi at the cruise port and start the trip before they tell you that they won't run the meter. The last time the guy wanted $25 so we just tipped him nothing since the meter charge should be around 15. One of the prior times, the guy said $40 and we told him to stop the van so he changed his mind and settled for $30.

At Port Everglades, everyone needs to ask the price before they get in the vehicle.

could you just do UBER= it is much easier and you can request the size of the vehicle for the 6 of you + luggage.

Except, when a ship comes in you may need to wait quite a while for a ride (30+ min when we debarked Serenade on 12/23) and with PE and FLL being so close, there's not much cost savings.

It must depend on what pier you are using. Came off Harmony Dec. 24th. There was one taxi stand line and it was $11 per person; no meter. Large 12 person vans that they filled with multiple families. It was the only choice for taxi's could have been because it was Harmony and they were rotating 6200 passengers off the ship or because it was the holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Go Port Canaveral" - This Company seems to have good reviews. $15 per person 1-way to FFL. I have them booked for a Feb cruise on the Oasis.

I think you may be confusing your ports.

OP is talking about Fort Lauderdale Port Everglades while you are talking about Orlando Port Canaveral.

Bill

No flat rate, but the meter charge should be around $15. You might all be able to fit into a minivan taxi.

Port Everglades is known for shady "taxi" practices. If you are quoted a "per person" price, you are getting a shared shuttle ride, not a taxi. Just walk away and ask for a real taxi.

I'm beginning to think PC is just as bad. They force you onto shuttles and say there is a cab shortage. And that was before Oasis came to town. :eek:

It must depend on what pier you are using. Came off Harmony Dec. 24th. There was one taxi stand line and it was $11 per person; no meter. Large 12 person vans that they filled with multiple families. It was the only choice for taxi's could have been because it was Harmony and they were rotating 6200 passengers off the ship or because it was the holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you sure you were at the taxi stand? The taxis and those shuttles load at two different area. It is really hard to believe that taxi drivers were giving up all that business to the shuttles.

Along with the meter, trips starting at the airport have an added $3, according to yellowcab's website.

And there's a $10 minimum charge for trips starting at the airport or port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One time a driver tried to add that "extra" to our trip from the port back to FLL. When I questioned him about the charge being on the meter when we got into the cab he realized he was not dealing with a first timer and took it off.

Are you sure you were at the taxi stand? The taxis and those shuttles load at two different area. It is really hard to believe that taxi drivers were giving up all that business to the shuttles.

Definitely at the taxi stand, there were shuttles and taxi vans and they were loading 3-4 at a time to fill all to maximum capacity and where you were going; could have been the day (Christmas Eve/holiday sailing going out next). It was the largest sailing they had to date with over 6200 passengers and they had lots of problems that they blamed on that they had never had that many passengers yet and they were still learning at handling the capacity of the ship. I think we disembarked around 9:00 but they had groups that were scheduled at 10:45 and only had one line for the taxi stand.

We got off the Serenade on Monday, paid $20 including tip. There were 2 of us.

The traffic lights seemed to be on red each time so bumped the price up a little.

It was the quickest debarkation from a ship we have ever experienced even with the inept staff in the terminal directing me to the wrong location for our luggage :mad: