Scooter's in Bermuda

53dean

Has anyone rented the scooters in Bermuda? Can you ride 2 up ? Is it worth the price

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Hi there

They have scooters that hold two people. It's up to you if it would be worth the price.

They do have public transportation that is reasonably priced...buses and water ferry, also taxi.

The reason I mention this is that all the people that are driving are islanders and they don't particularly like all the tourists slowing down the traffic. The roads are windy and narrow in a lot of places, with a lot of traffic. As I said the islanders may or may not give you a wide berth when passing you. This can get quite dangerous. My opinion is that the fun of having the wind blow through your hair isn't worth the aggravation if you have to pick yourself off the ground. If it happens even once, it is not worth ruining your vacation when you have better options for getting around.

have a great cruise

Just be sure you know what you're doing. On our last cruise, there was a couple who rented a scooter on Kings Wharf by the glassworks factory and they just left the area and maybe didn't know how to drive the scooter, but they wiped out on one of the speed bumps. Thankfully, they just had cuts and bruises.

I've rented scooters a number of times in Bermuda - an outfit called Oleander, but there are several - most of them are two person. I've ridden motorcycles and scooters for years in the US and am generally comfortable. If you have not ridden at home - and have not had experienced driving on the left, you might want to think carefully. Doing both the first time simultaneously could put a kink in your vacation.

If you do want to try it - because it is the best way to get around the island for a few days (where taxis are very expensive and waiting for and riding busses eats a lot of your limited time) you should find some place at home where you can rent or borrow a scooter and ride- in traffic for a while - getting used to handling it - so you won't be coping with two unfamiliar situations at the same time.

I own a Harley Davidson so I have plenty of experience my wife and I ride all the time like was just wondering if the scooters have their capability to ride 2 up, but I agree riding on the opposite side of the road is probably a weird feeling but willing to give it a try , thanks for the tip on who to rent from .

I own a Harley Davidson so I have plenty of experience my wife and I ride all the time like was just wondering if the scooters have their capability to ride 2 up, but I agree riding on the opposite side of the road is probably a weird feeling but willing to give it a try , thanks for the tip on who to rent from .

As an experienced rider you should not have problem adjusting. Just keep paying attention - especially when coming into a traffic circle - that is where it really does seem weird.

We rented them from Oleander also. The guy showing us how to use the scooters was very nice. He had us go around the area until we felt comfortable. Once we actually started out we were quite slow and nervous. A little after leaving the rental place we had pulled over to let some cars pass us and a very nice gentleman on a motorcycle stopped to talk to us. He said just go at your own pace, the drivers are used to us tourist on the road. He said only think about yourself while riding and don't worry if cars on the road act like you are holding them back. It was very good advise and helped us a lot. We had a blast and can't wait to do it again, but this time we will remember to take the gopro camera!

When we had a senior girls trip to Berumuda in high school, we all got scooters and had f un but we were KIDS> :) There are many accidents from sliding on sand. All the times I returned to Bermuda as an adult, NO WAY I got on scooter and argued with D H until I won tha he was not renting a scooter on our subsequent trips. (He had been to Bermuda as a teen and had played with his scooter then and that was that. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

We rented a 2 seater scooter on our honeymoon in 1979. We were young and foolish and fortunate that we didn't have an accident. Unless you are an experienced biker, please don't rent the scooters. You are driving on the opposite side of the road with many rotaries to navigate as well as narrow, hilly roads.

Fast forward 15 years later, my co-worker and her husband were killed on their honeymoon when they collided with a bus head on. :(

Have been back 17 more times and will never rent a scooter again.

Take the bus, take the ferry, take a cab.

The only thing I have to add is this:

On my last trip to Bermuda, there were more people on crutches on the return from Bermuda than there were going.

Good observation: only experienced riders or people very familiar with driving on the left should consider renting scooters in Bermuda. You do not want to try learning both at the same time while negotiating traffic on narrow roads and trying to figure out where you are going.

My wife and I watched the cruisers take off on scooters from Kings Wharf and had a good laugh as the guys from the rental company ran after them yelling "Other side of the road!!!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Like a few others posting here, we have many years of riding two-up 45+ years

We rented from Oleander twice, they have newer scooters and are convenient to the ship. Not any instructions except the brakes and lights. We watched people taking off in flip-flops, shorts etc., many were quite unstable - I watched passengers putting their feet down, drivers braking too hard

So ok we took off........

Concentrating on staying on the left hand side of the roads

Traffic, cobblestones in places, more traffic

You are on a very under powered bike that can not get out of its own way

On our first ride......we just "beach hopped" for a day

Our second Cruise - about 20 minutes on the road, three locals on scooters decided to split between us and a bus coming the other way, clipped the scooter and scraped my shoe. Fortunately "instincts" kicked in and we stayed up.

A little further we stopped to help a couple that had just dumped their scooter, in talking with the police officers that stopped - there are more deaths and injuries are #1 in Bermuda on scooters - locals and tourists.

We rented the scooter for 3 days, turned it in after one

IF you do rent a scooter, please take good shoes and long-sleeved shirts. Also, there is a basket on the back that dug into my back, a beach towel worked some but on the second cruise I brought a piece of foam (swim noodle) and tape which worked Great!

Opinions Vary.......if you decide to scooter, ride safe! Also, Oleander scooters all looked well - maintained and they are very accommodating

• 2 weeks later...