Fitness & swimming on Celebrity cruises.

Marvy Mare

I hope to try to keep fit while on our first cruise in March 2017. I understand that the food is excellent & I love to eat. I also enjoy cycling, swimming and am a former runner (currently injured so I walk very quickly-lol). I intend to use the bikes and treadmill & running track (if it's not too crowded). I was wondering about length swimming in one of the pools. Is that a possibility? Are the pools salt water or chlorinated? Do I need to wear a cap & would goggles be a good idea?

I think that's it for now.

Maris

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51950922

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was just wondering if there was a time set aside for lane swims. As I said, I'm new to this. I don't intend to swim around folks in the fun pool. I was thinking of early mornings. I'm usually up by 5.

If you swim you will be severely disappointed. I swim 2 - 3 times a week and never once tried it on the ship even though the pool was empty later at night (great time for the hot tub by the way). The pool is way too small, any of them. You'll be fine with the fitness center.

I did swim every time we snorkeled or went to the beach. Great time to get a swim in.

You are not going to be able to swim for exercise in a ship's pool. The pools are not that large and if the weather is warm enough, there will be people in the pool.

The fitness centers on all the Celebrity ships that I have been on have plenty of exercise options.

I am an avid cyclist, so I like the cycle machines. Most ships have at least half a dozen, with a mix of recumbent and upright cycle machines. If the cycle machines are busy, there are many more treadmills. Also, free weights, nautilus type machines, etc.

Some cruise ships will post a 30 minute limit on use of machines. I like to do a hour on the cycle machines, since I do long distance biking. This is enforces when the fitness center is busy. Most are busy, but less so, very early in the morning.

No pool in fitness center..very short length to do laps in any of the pool..unless slow strokes

If you do beach visits..you can try laps in the water parallel to shore

Nice gyms with treadmills, bikes, ellips and weight machines....spinning classes extra cost...

Running or walking on deck goes through seating areas...earlier in the day less congestion.

I'm a daily swimmer when at home, but on the ships I've not even attempted my daily routine. The pools are not long enough, and of course they get busy with people just cooling off.

If possible I get some ocean swimming in, but otherwise use the running track and the gym ( which I find really really good).

You will find some way to keep up your activity, it just needs a bit of adaptation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The pools are a max of 11 metres long so one needs to do a lot of laps to gain any benefit. Early mornings one often sees lap swimmers when the pools are empty but when numbers start to build up lap swimming is not practical. It is unfair for recreational swimmers to have to make way for "lane" swimmers in a non designated lane swimming pool.

Thanks for all your replies. As well as being small, I take it the pools are warm too. Guess I'll stick to the gym or just not eat too much - as if. Haha. I'm getting very excited. Those big ships look pretty awesome.

The pools are saltwater. i've tried a few laps but they are way too short for me too. The fitness centers usually have lots of treadmills, several bikes (like listed before), ellipticals and some have rowing machines. Plenty of weights, weight machines, stablity balls, mats. I love to spin but they only allow you to use those bikes during class. Hope that helps

The walking/running track on the S-class ships is 8 laps to the mile. There are many walkers (no pun intended) so any sort of speed walking can be difficult unless you are an early riser as you say you are. Best to stick to the gym area if you want to do real exercising.

Thanks. I'll probably prefer the gym anyway. I'm hoping it will be hot in the Caribbean in March & speed walking even early in the morning will be difficult. No matter what, I'm sure I'll have a great time!

Celebrity does a really good job of providing fitness opportunities. The variety of equipment in the gym is great as well as the variety of classes they offer. I am able to pretty much maintain my regular fitness routine by using the running track, weight machines, and Zumba and yoga classes. There are also a lot of free dance classes that you can take.

Thanks. I'll probably prefer the gym anyway. I'm hoping it will be hot in the Caribbean in March & speed walking even early in the morning will be difficult. No matter what, I'm sure I'll have a great time!

I'm also a speed walker. I walk every morning on the track starting around 6:00 AM and finishing at 7:30 AM. I don't count laps. I love seeing the sun come up while walking. I find that time of morning there are very few so to speak strollers on the track. Mainly joggers and other walkers. After that the track gets busier with others just wanting to slowly wonder around on the track. So the early timeframe works great for me. I have a spinner bike at home but all the Cruises I've been on the spinners are only dedicated for the spinning classes. When the spinners aren't in use they are bunched together. I've even seen them tethered together. The gyms also have upright and recumbent style bikes.

Edited by davekathy

Pools on ships are small because they have to be. During rough seas, take a look at the waves generated in the pool. You'll notice that they can become quite strong and large for such a small tub of water. If you expand the pool, it will become a liability with the huge waves that can be generated.

Once on an S-Class ship I swam in the Solarium pool under such conditions. The waves took me from one end of the pool to the other. It was so rough that I was surprised that Celebrity didn't close it. It was great fun though!