Free Pub lunch gone

antsp

I like the fish and chips and the bangers and mash. I've "heard" that people have gotten shrimp and chips but have never seen it offered myself.

Had the shrimp twice. Once it was perfectly cooked. Nice crisp breading and really tasty shrimp. The second time, mushy, under cooked, and greasy. Not sure that they still offer the shrimp as I no longer look for it. Too many other good options that you can count on to be done correctly.

Edited by ar1950

More info,

First sailing were it has changed

Salty dog still on at night,

Just walked by again

Customer count 0

That's interesting. So it looks like Salty dog is $12 for lunch and $18/$19 for Dinner...Same menu I assume??

On the Emerald 2 weeks ago, the Salty Dog was Dinner only. From what I noticed in the Patter, they offered the Pub Lunch on the 1st at sea day only, then not again (14 night cruise).

Just off 31 days on the Crown where the free pub lunch was offered frequently. The Gastropub price was reduced to $12 per person so we were convinced to ty it. The general consensus of our group of 4 was that the food was good but not great. One serious problem I personally experienced was the lack of regular seating. The head waiter for the Gastropub was hawking it at a pub lunch one day and I asked if they had at least one normal height table (I was having mobility problems and pub height seats were not comfortable). He assured me they did. When we showed up a small sitting area with only a coffee size (and height) table was all he could offer! I informed him that wasn't normal height either. Given the average age of Princess passengers I was surprised that more consideration wasn't given to folks who can't handle the tall chairs. We won't be back.

Sorry to hear you were not accommodated.

Majority were high top tables?

What is considered normal height?

What was the height of the coffee table?

And, what is the average age of Princess passengers?

Sorry to hear you were not accommodated.

Majority were high top tables?

What is considered normal height?

What was the height of the coffee table?

And, what is the average age of Princess passengers?

You really need to see the remodel on the ships that now have a Salty Dog venue in the Wheelhouse Bar. There usually was a tall table (only one) near the Bar in the original Wheelhouse configuration, much like you might see in a traditional pub type bar. Now, with the Salty Dog, there are a bunch of those high tables with tall stools. Not great for folks who have trouble getting on high stools to eat. :mad:

Another part of the story is that only the three ships with Salty Dog can do food service like they do because there is a kitchen attached to them, unlike some of the Wheelhouse Bars on other ships. I assume that on those ships, food is brought up from the regular galley on Pub Lunch days. I wonder if Princess wants to eliminate Pub Lunch because of that (cost cutting.)

Another part of the story is that only the three ships with Salty Dog can do food service like they do because there is a kitchen attached to them, unlike some of the Wheelhouse Bars on other ships. I assume that on those ships, food is brought up from the regular galley on Pub Lunch days. I wonder if Princess wants to eliminate Pub Lunch because of that (cost cutting.)

We have had the Pub Lunch in the Crown Grill on some ships.

The pub lunch was offered once on our 7 day Regal Caribbean cruise last month. There was a very long line to get in. Dont know why, as several PAX we spoke to, said the fish and chips, and bangers and mash were not very good, and not worth the wait.: :eek::eek: And they were Brits. :D:D

Guess YMMV.

Happy cruising in 2017, and God willing, beyond.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

The pub lunch was offered once on our 7 day Regal Caribbean cruise last month. There was a very long line to get in. Dont know why, as several PAX we spoke to, said the fish and chips, and bangers and mash were not very good, and not worth the wait.: :eek::eek: And they were Brits. :D:D

Guess YMMV.

I agree, won't miss it at all!

Just off 31 days on the Crown where the free pub lunch was offered frequently. The Gastropub price was reduced to $12 per person so we were convinced to ty it. The general consensus of our group of 4 was that the food was good but not great. One serious problem I personally experienced was the lack of regular seating. The head waiter for the Gastropub was hawking it at a pub lunch one day and I asked if they had at least one normal height table (I was having mobility problems and pub height seats were not comfortable). He assured me they did. When we showed up a small sitting area with only a coffee size (and height) table was all he could offer! I informed him that wasn't normal height either. Given the average age of Princess passengers I was surprised that more consideration wasn't given to folks who can't handle the tall chairs. We won't be back.

I am so with you. I love the bangers and mash and hard cider BUT the tall chairs put my feet to sleep. I avoid sitting for longer than 15 minutes at the higher bar stools and chairs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree, won't miss it at all!

Yes, I wouldn't miss it since I don't eat those kinds of foods.

To be honest, DW and I avoid deep fried foods, stay away from sausages and hot dogs (basically meats of unknown origin and leftover ground animal parts), and we also avoid starch (potatos, and white rice). :eek: :eek: That's just us. YMMV.

For me, these are unhealthy foods that clog ones arteries, lead to heart disease, and starches that convert to sugar, leading to obesity, and Adult diabetes, and associated medical problems. Of course, many PAX must enjoy those kinds of foods, because the line was very long to get into the Pub. And a lot of PAX looked quite satisfied and full from their Pub grub lunch.

Fortunately, there are many healthy options in Princess cuisine these days. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We did the pub lunch several times years ago when they started doing it. The food is adequate, certainly not up to what we had in England however not that we even expected it to be. We find the venue to be uncomfortable to eating a meal. Drinking and listening to a band is it a great spot and we love it. The crowds appear before the bar opens and we just feel it was not worth it a few years ago and have not tried to do it. So if in fact it does disappear, we won't miss it but understand many will. We will be on the Crown this spring and will pay attention as to whether it is offered and how often.

The Pub Lunch is/was? served in the Wheelhouse Bar only on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. On the Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean it is served in the Crown Grill, on the Diamond and Sapphire in a dining room if it is offered on Asian cruises, in the Bayou Cafe on the Coral/Island and in the Sterling Steakhouse on the Pacific.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I wouldn't miss it since I don't eat those kinds of foods.

To be honest, DW and I avoid deep fried foods, stay away from sausages and hot dogs (basically meats of unknown origin and leftover ground animal parts), and we also avoid starch (potatos, and white rice). :eek: :eek: That's just us. YMMV.

For me, these are unhealthy foods that clog ones arteries, lead to heart disease, and starches that convert to sugar, leading to obesity, and Adult diabetes, and associated medical problems. Of course, many PAX must enjoy those kinds of foods, because the line was very long to get into the Pub. And a lot of PAX looked quite satisfied and full from their Pub grub lunch.

Fortunately, there are many healthy options in Princess cuisine these days. :)

I'm with you about the items they serve. Almost everything they serve is fried and only thing that doesn't give me an upset stomach is the dessert.

There are much better & healthier choices to be had.

The Pub Lunch is/was? served in the Wheelhouse Bar only on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. On the Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean it is served in the Crown Grill, on the Diamond and Sapphire in a dining room if it is offered on Asian cruises, in the Bayou Cafe on the Coral/Island and in the Sterling Steakhouse on the Pacific.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Ruby and the Crown last year -- on our 10 day cruises they each had the Pub Lunch twice, in the Crown Grill. We've had mixed experiences, but it's fun.

I thought the only ships that had the Salty Dog were the Emerald and the Ruby? Does anyone know if it is on the Star?

I agree, those "pub" tables are not very comfortable. I can only imagine how that gets compounded with mobility issues. I am surprised that Princess doesn't have at least 1 table to account for those passengers who require something more comfortable, especially considering ADA law.

Princess ships are registered in Bermuda so they have no obligation to adhere to the Americans with Disabilities Act.