Angry Chair Hogs

bouhunter

Last week on Allure my wife is in a lounger on deck 16 around 10-11:00AM. Some people asked about towels on chairs nearby and she and others nearby say they've been there at least an hour or more with no sign of anyone occupying them. The four people move the towels and lie down. Later some people show up and start raising HELL about it saying it was rude and wrong to take "their chairs". I showed up as this was happening, and it went downhill from there quickly. The chair hogs kept ranting and raving, pacing back and forth in front of these people. Then they started telling them that if they dared move for a minute their stuff would be gone. Then they sat down across from the people and proceeded to stare at them. It was beginning to feel like they were threatening and harassing those poor people. These were large, angry and quickly becoming scary people. Finally one of the by now victims fetched security. Soon there were 5 security staff talking to these bullies. They continued their ranting and raving, now directed at ship staff. I heard one of them tell security "I'm a tough guy!!". It literally took security close to THIRTY MINUTES to talk these people down and get them to move on.

It blows my mind that people could get so worked up about something like this during their VACATION instead of just moving on and enjoying their day. It was somewhat entertaining to watch, but also scary to see people become so unhinged in public.

Similar situations happening at the Anthem Solarium this week.

Hey, nothing wrong with Boca clips, they are great. Not sure why that indicates you are a chair hog. :confused:

I need to get some of those. There are some pretty cool designs out there I have

seen.

I never use a lounger by the pool, and DH only goes up on a higher deck as far

away from the pool noise as possible, to read.

But I DO wish I had them when we go to Nachi Cocum, etc....because the towel

on the back of the chair keeps falling off.

So I know this is dumb ... but I'm feeling chatty so I just have to share ... my daughter is vegetarian .... so while I keep seeing references to Boca Clips and i know what they are ... I just keep thinking of Boca Burgers .... :rolleyes: and laughing at the visual of a lonely veggie burger hanging out on a deck chair ... :p

LOL!! They are the angelic cousin of the evil Bubba Burgers! :p :p

Edited by island lady

Can I ask what do you do if you are swimming. When we go in the pool, we find seats, usually 2 for the 3 of us, put our stuff down and go in the pool with our daughter. I am sure we are in the water for longer than 30 minutes and if someone moved my stuff I would be pissed.

Yes I agree that leaving stuff on a chair at 6 in the morning and not coming back until hours later is annoying and rude but 30 minutes does not seem like a stretch to me if you are enjoying the water, the water splash zones or slides.

Can I ask what do you do if you are swimming. When we go in the pool, we find seats, usually 2 for the 3 of us, put our stuff down and go in the pool with our daughter. I am sure we are in the water for longer than 30 minutes and if someone moved my stuff I would be pissed.

Yes I agree that leaving stuff on a chair at 6 in the morning and not coming back until hours later is annoying and rude but 30 minutes does not seem like a stretch to me if you are enjoying the water, the water splash zones or slides.

But there is also a difference between a chair with a towel, shoes, shorts, t-shirt, hat, bag, etc on it. And those which most people are talking about with a towel and that's it.

But there is also a difference between a chair with a towel, shoes, shorts, t-shirt, hat, bag, etc on it. And those which most people are talking about with a towel and that's it.

What about the new thing I am starting to see a lot of - think they are called Baca clips. No need for books, flip flops, or other phony props. Just hang your towel, put a couple of these clips on and and you are good for the day.

I am at the point I am now admitting defeat and have joined the rebel army. I'll be out there at 6am; get two good chairs for my wife and I, including two in the shade and two in the solarium. Back to the cabin, wake the wife, do a couple of S's, go have breakfast, stop by the Purser's Desk for a status on our account, stop by Bachio's on Five for a cappuccino. Now, back to the cabin, pack our bags, change clothes and meander out to the deck areas. Carefully examine the weather and based on it's properties, choose one of the three areas we have pre selected. As the day and the weather changes, we'll move from location to location

New attitude after 26 cruises. It's my vacation; I paid a lot of money for it; I'll do whatever I want, whenever I want and wherever I want. To hell with the rest of the passengers. I was a polite gentleman for 20 years and followed all the niceties. No more Mr. Nice Guy. I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

Its every wimp for him or herself. This is war people, take no prisoners, show no mercy. Read The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Some good stuff in there.

There is only one thing I am afraid of and that is the 78 year old grandmother with 8 towels in her hand for her entire family. I was in Vietnam, I was shot at, I think (maybe) I can handle one little old lady.

To find me I'll be the old bald guy with skinny, white legs and cargo shorts like the kids wearing and brand new sparkling white sneakers with the velcro tabs.

Edited by PoppyandNana

What about the new thing I am starting to see a lot of - think they are called Baca clips. No need for books, flip flops, or other phony props. Just hang your towel, put a couple of these clips on and and you are good for the day.

I am at the point I am now admitting defeat and have joined the rebel army. I'll be out there at 6am; get two good chairs for my wife and I, including two in the shade and two in the solarium. Back to the cabin, wake the wife, do a couple of S's, go have breakfast, stop by the Purser's Desk for a status on our account, stop by Bachio's on Five for a cappuccino. Now, back to the cabin, pack our bags, change clothes and meander out to the deck areas. Carefully examine the weather and based on it's properties, choose one of the three areas we have pre selected. As the day and the weather changes, we'll move from location to location

New attitude after 26 cruises. It's my vacation; I paid a lot of money for it; I'll do whatever I want, whenever I want and wherever I want. To hell with the rest of the passengers. I was a polite gentleman for 20 years and followed all the niceties. No more Mr. Nice Guy. I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

Its every wimp for him or herself. This is war people, take no prisoners, show no mercy. Read The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Some good stuff in there.

There is only one thing I am afraid of and that is the 78 year old grandmother with 8 towels in her hand for her entire family. I was in Vietnam, I was shot at, I think (maybe) I can handle one little old lady.

To find me I'll be the old bald guy with skinny, white legs and cargo shorts like the kids wear.

Pardon me, you're in my chair. I thought about sitting there last night.

But.... SO puts all our stuff on one towel and what about my chair with just a towel, and I am in the pool? I am just saying the several minutes, or 30 minutes is no long enough..... I don't care for chair hogs... those are the ones that show up before sunrise and horde chairs...

Edited by troykahack

I am usually a super friendly nice polite person ... but I've sort of had it with pool/beach chair hogs in crowded public venues when there are no 'reserved' or paid arrangements. (Its completely different if we're renting chairs or cabanas.) I have become very Karen-like (ala Will & Grace) ...

I spot a chair with absolutely no personal items on it ... only a cruise/resort towel ... if it stays empty for several minutes ... I walk over, move the towel to the next chair ... place my towel down and lay down. Problem solved :D

In the rare event that anyone approaches me ... (maybe twice in the past 6 or so years) ... the conversation basically goes ...

SB: Hey, you're in my chair!

ME: "This chair? Oh ... it was empty" (pleasant expression/tone ... but never remove my sunglasses ... make no move to get up)

If they seem to want more discussion ... I wait for them but eventually say something along the lines of ... "All these hotel towels look the same ... " and I lay back and close my eyes. If they pursue it, i keep my voice pleasant and bored and say something along the lines of "Well, if you want to go get a staff member to come sort this out ..."

Generally I've found that suddenly the chair issue isn't that big of a deal and the person moves on.

Maybe I'm being rude or 'insensitive' but seriously ... the chair is for use by a person it isn't a 'storage place' for your towel or even personal items ... I've seen the mom of a family take up a chair for every single person (5 in all) for a day at a resort pool when the 2 younger kids never left the pool ... the dad never left the TV screen at the bar by the pool and the teenager came and got the moms room key to go up to their room and play video games. But there set mom with a towel and an article of clothing on each of the 4 empty chairs as other guests continually walked by scanning for chairs. I'm not the chair police ... but it just bugged me ...

Good on ya. Sounds like you handle it exactly the right way. I used to do the same thing. Never had a real problem. Some people would squawk but wouldn't faze me.

However, now we have little kids and I've learned some people don't mind scaring the heck out of your kids if it means getting their way. So I've chosen to stop tossing aside towels and instead I look for empty chairs. At some point, when my son is ready tho we will be clearing chairs together.

Edited by trajan

I am usually a super friendly nice polite person ... but I've sort of had it with pool/beach chair hogs in crowded public venues when there are no 'reserved' or paid arrangements. (Its completely different if we're renting chairs or cabanas.) I have become very Karen-like (ala Will & Grace) ...

I spot a chair with absolutely no personal items on it ... only a cruise/resort towel ... if it stays empty for several minutes ... I walk over, move the towel to the next chair ... place my towel down and lay down. Problem solved :D

In the rare event that anyone approaches me ... (maybe twice in the past 6 or so years) ... the conversation basically goes ...

SB: Hey, you're in my chair!

ME: "This chair? Oh ... it was empty" (pleasant expression/tone ... but never remove my sunglasses ... make no move to get up)

If they seem to want more discussion ... I wait for them but eventually say something along the lines of ... "All these hotel towels look the same ... " and I lay back and close my eyes. If they pursue it, i keep my voice pleasant and bored and say something along the lines of "Well, if you want to go get a staff member to come sort this out ..."

Generally I've found that suddenly the chair issue isn't that big of a deal and the person moves on.

Maybe I'm being rude or 'insensitive' but seriously ... the chair is for use by a person it isn't a 'storage place' for your towel or even personal items ... I've seen the mom of a family take up a chair for every single person (5 in all) for a day at a resort pool when the 2 younger kids never left the pool ... the dad never left the TV screen at the bar by the pool and the teenager came and got the moms room key to go up to their room and play video games. But there set mom with a towel and an article of clothing on each of the 4 empty chairs as other guests continually walked by scanning for chairs. I'm not the chair police ... but it just bugged me ...

I like it. Bonus if your sunglasses are mirrored and they can't even see if you're looking at them. :)

Loungers can be a storage space for those using the area (because they don't have cubbies) BUT that can be one chair for multiple people if those people aren't going to use the lounger ever.

But.... SO puts all our stuff on one towel and what about my chair with just a towel, and I am in the pool? I am just saying the several minutes, or 30 minutes is no long enough..... I don't care for chair hogs... those are the ones that show up before sunrise and horde chairs...

What if she puts some of her stuff on your chair? Crazy idea but just might work.

Because otherwise your chair looks exactly the same as the chair of someone who put their towel on at sunrise.

Though if you're using the area you would probably see the person roaming to find a seat and IF they chose your seat you could call out to them right then.

What if she puts some of her stuff on your chair? Crazy idea but just might work.

Because otherwise your chair looks exactly the same as the chair of someone who put their towel on at sunrise.

Though if you're using the area you would probably see the person roaming to find a seat and IF they chose your seat you could call out to them right then.

We typically get two chairs and try to put our hats and stuff on both but there have been times when only on one chair. I don't think I go longer than 30-45 minutes without either getting a drink or getting bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To find me I'll be the old bald guy with skinny, white legs and cargo shorts like the kids wearing and brand new sparkling white sneakers with the velcro tabs.

Lmao... I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious. But either way I love it. Though I have to admit I am tired of being the nice person all the time. Maybe I need to be more pushy. The only problem I have is once there is some sort of altercation I seem to run into the same person the whole trip and it makes me very uncomfortable

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I hold chair hogs on the pool decks (and in other venues too but I will keep this about the pool decks) in contempt even though they really do not affect me because I normally do not seek to sit around the pools on the ships.

The real problem is that the chair hogs who are the true offenders not only are complete jerks who deny other cruisers a better cruise experience, but they also make it impossible for simple rules of courtesy and normal behavior to exist readily and easily among normal people of good faith. If a couple are sitting in two chairs and one goes into the pool or into the rest room or even to grab something to eat or drink, and is gone 15 minutes, does that make the other a chair hog for protecting their chair while they are gone - of course not. Can both jump in the pool or grab something to eat quickly and not worry about their chairs for a brief time - I think most agree that is OK. If mom brings her two kids to the pool and sets up a place of three chairs for the three of them and maybe the dad will show up, but winds up spending a lot of time in the water with the kids who are back and forth, is that real bad - not in my opinion. The problem is that it is not always apparent whether the "reserving" of the chairs is perfectly reasonably or utterly offensive.

What is simply rude and inexcusable (at least for me) are the people who have their scout go onto the pool deck and throw the towels, the t-shirts, the glasses, the books, the food plates, etc., on multiple chairs for people whom the scout does not even know are awake or have any intention whatever of wanting to sit on a chair next to the pool on the pool deck at any relevant time.

A basic difference is whether the person for whom a chair is "reserved" was there to reserve it themselves or at least was known with certainty to be on the way and arrives within a few minutes.The groups of 5 or 6 or 7 or more who have their scout up there reserving that many chairs for those still asleep - simply because they want their group to have their little area if in fact the group decides they want such an area - those are the people who destroy any civility and common decency with regard to the situation that exists because there are not as many lounge chairs on the pool decks in a decent spot as there are pax wanting the ability to have such a chair on many days of a cruise.

We once were one of the first off a ship on a private island - years ago - cannot remember which - may have been Labadee - and we were sitting in chairs under shade away from water - there was a hammock near where we were. It crossed my mind that maybe I could see later if I could use a hammock without hurting myself. Shortly after we arrived, a family group came by and the presumed father threw a towel and a pair of sunglasses (maybe something else too) into the hammock, but after a pause for conversation, they kept walking - I think to another beach or at least out of our sight - having left the stuff in the hammock. A couple times later in the morning, people asked others near the hammock if it was their stuff - the others did not know what the deal was and said they did not know who was "using" it - I started calling to them to just remove the stuff and use the hammock if they wanted - but they would just walk on, probably thinking I was nuts. About the third or fourth time, now in the afternoon, I started to get up and I was going to throw the stuff out of the hammock myself and make sure others had the opportunity to use it. My wife who knew what I was going to do "suggested" that I should not get involved and it was getting late anyway. Even by then we had been married long enough for me to know the meaning of such a "suggestion" and I found myself following the "suggestion." If that happened today, I would have helped the first person who asked about the hammock remove the stuff and throw it on the ground.

Actually, what usually amazes me more than the number of chair hogs, are the number of very polite, reasonable, nice people who do not want to challenge anyone's "reserving" of chairs. Nice people who go up to the one guy who is holding down a group of 6 chairs in the front row next to the pool with no sign of anyone but the one guy - who may not even be wearing a swim suit - who says that they are all reserved - and these nice people simply turn away and keep looking. If and when I see something like that, I want to intervene and try to help the nice ones and take on the jerk - but I rarely act on the impulse.

I know that this is a difficult issue for the cruise lines - but I think that they have to make serious efforts to deal with it for the benefit of all pax on the ship.

Hammock hogging on Castaway Cay is literally my number one issue with Disney. I've never had an issue with RCL's islands. And I think Disney has a lot less chair hogging on their ships. But both times I've been to Castaway every hammock if taken by the time I'm off the ship, and I never see anything in them but crap. Next time I will gently put it on the ground and just use the hammock.

Edited by OSUZorba

I think I've seen you before. No wait, that was me in the mirror (except I'm not bald) :)

This being a ongoing problem on what seems to be all my sailings.

I get frustrated but as I get older I try to avoid conflict.

Key word TRY.

So as long as we get a chair near the pool, whether it be poolside or way back on the perimeter I am happy.

Find me sitting on the water edge on all our sailings.

Yup I am a pool ledge hogger and proud of it, but I stay there, unless I need a soft serve yogurt, or put more sunscreen on or have to go eat.

When I come back if the spot is taken I wait and then make the move when people move on.

By sitting poolside with feets in the water I have witnessed chair hogging to the max, and almost fights and verbal abuse.

Damn, its a vacation..............relax.....................

Everybody can have a good time if we all play nice.

Oh, Yea I do like the post above about re-locating to the chairs and playing dumb that nothing was on them.

Safe travels.

We leave on our next cruise in a few weeks. I think I will get up early and go on deck, watch the chair hogs place towels saving chairs, wait till they leave and remove it. It could be so much fun!:D

JoeRum

Lately I've been seeing people saving 8 seats and picking a designated chair guard.