Angry Chair Hogs

bouhunter

I have another question for our group of experts.

What is the proper etiquette for reclaiming a chair after a pop up downpour?

Let's say it 11:30am deck is full and it starts to pour. You grab all your stuff and head for temporary shelter. The skies clear and you head back to your previously occupied seat. Someone beats you to it. What happens?

Let's say it 11:30am deck is full and it starts to pour. You grab all your stuff and head for temporary shelter. The skies clear and you head back to your previously occupied seat. Someone beats you to it. What happens?

that's a tough one. Are we talking 5 minutes? If so, I would politely explain you were just there but got up as it was raining. If it's more than 15-20 minutes, first come, first serve.

I'm curious if there is some type of cruise ship pool etiquette for that.

that's a tough one. Are we talking 5 minutes? If so, I would politely explain you were just there but got up as it was raining. If it's more than 15-20 minutes, first come, first serve.

I am talking immediately, probably as the rain is just letting up. Vultures just swoop in and grab what they want. Nothing there marking your territory. :eek:

Good question. I'd think that when you vacate your chair and take your possessions with you, you give up all rights to the chair, whether going for lunch or getting out of the rain. Always bring a waterproof item with you that you can leave in the rain - some lounger towel clips? - and you won't run into this problem.

I am talking immediately, probably as the rain is just letting up. Vultures just swoop in and grab what they want. Nothing there marking your territory. :eek:

Pool-Chair-Hog.jpg

Oh no, now we have chair vultures to contend with too? Do they only come out after a rainfall?

Edited by Fouremco

Oh no, now we have chair vultures to contend with too? Do they only come out after a rainfall?

Well we are allowed to make up our own unique descriptions of our fellow passengers. ;)

Lets roll with it. :D

Maybe a vulture could describe the person who moves the towel of the previously described chair hogs.

Well we are allowed to make up our own unique descriptions of our fellow passengers. ;)

Lets roll with it. :D

Maybe a vulture could describe the person who moves the towel of the previously described chair hogs.

Here's what happens when the Chair Hogs and Chair Vultures clash during a shore excursion.

vultures+eating+carcas+pig+florida+sanctuary+nasa+(Large).jpg

On the Norweigan Gem in 2010 in the Meditterean after dinner my family walked into the main theater to see the show. We arrived at least thirty minutes before the show and attempted to sit down when a young boy told me that the twenty seats in his aisle were saved. I told him to get his adult relatives to come in because I was sitting down in his reserved seats. It's bad enough that adults do this but to have a young child do it was ridiculous. He got up and walked away. A few other passengers clapped as the boy left the area. During the show I looked behind me to see the boy with his relatives sitting in the last row of seats in the back of the theater.

So, there were no other chairs and the audience applauded as you publicly shamed this "young child" that was likely just doing what his parents asked? I can't stick up for anyone saving that many seats, but I think this is kind of an extreme way for an adult to treat a "young child".

Tom

On the Norweigan Gem in 2010 in the Meditterean after dinner my family walked into the main theater to see the show. We arrived at least thirty minutes before the show and attempted to sit down when a young boy told me that the twenty seats in his aisle were saved. I told him to get his adult relatives to come in because I was sitting down in his reserved seats. It's bad enough that adults do this but to have a young child do it was ridiculous. He got up and walked away. A few other passengers clapped as the boy left the area. During the show I looked behind me to see the boy with his relatives sitting in the last row of seats in the back of the theater.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, there were no other chairs and the audience applauded as you publicly shamed this "young child" that was likely just doing what his parents asked? I can't stick up for anyone saving that many seats, but I think this is kind of an extreme way for an adult to treat a "young child".

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Forums

He probably saved the young child from another thirty minutes of telling adult strangers that the seats were saved. I have watched adults in that situation become irritated and annoyed after the first ten or so interactions; a child should not have to deal with that.

He probably saved the young child from another thirty minutes of telling adult strangers that the seats were saved. I have watched adults in that situation become irritated and annoyed after the first ten or so interactions; a child should not have to deal with that.

Agree. The parents of the kid were in the wrong. Wait...lead by example. A kid in training to become a chair hog. Ya gotta start somewhere.

Sounds like DH and I are the odd ones out as we do our best to find chairs away from the pool. I can't stand the crowds and the sounds. If we want to take a dip in the pool we take a short walk, leave our flip flops by the pool and then walk back to our chairs when done.

I've never had a problem finding a chair (or a couple of chairs) - ever! If you're willing to be away from the madding crowds it's easy enough to find a chair.

Edited by nets33

So, there were no other chairs and the audience applauded as you publicly shamed this "young child" that was likely just doing what his parents asked? I can't stick up for anyone saving that many seats, but I think this is kind of an extreme way for an adult to treat a "young child"...
Corby114 (who I don't know) did not shame a young child. He merely sat in some of the 20 seats the person was "saving". If there was shaming, it was by other passengers who clapped. There is no excuse for anyone saving that number of seats, and it doesn't matter if they are 6 or 86. Most passengers are fed up with chair hogs, and if shaming is what it takes I'm not against it. I bet the kid will refuse the next time his parents make that request. If you think no push back should have been made, I'll bet that is a minority opinion.

Sounds like DH and I are the odd ones out as we do our best to find chairs away from the pool. I can't stand the crowds and the sounds. If we want to take a dip in the pool we take a short walk, leave our flip flops by the pool and then walk back to our chairs when done.

I've never had a problem finding a chair (or a couple of chairs) - ever! If you're willing to be away from the madding crowds it's easy enough to find a chair.

Nope, I'm right there with ya sister. I'm not a pool or hot tub person so I spend all my sea days one deck above the pool deck. Turn my lounger around facing the water and watch my day drift by.

Nope, I'm right there with ya sister. I'm not a pool or hot tub person so I spend all my sea days one deck above the pool deck. Turn my lounger around facing the water and watch my day drift by.

Hey, it's starting to get crowded, because that's what we like to do. :)

I don't know them either and I didn't mean to accuse, but it seems to me like half an hour before the show there might have been other seats and that their words to the "young child" sounded kind of harsh. Also, it's kind of sad that people applauded.

I don't know the whole story. I have kids and grandkids so I am sensitive to it. If those were the only seats available then perhaps they had a point, but if there were just trying to make a point at the child's expense, that seems pretty sad. Just my opinion of course. I try to teach my kids and grandkids that being rude to someone because they were rude to you just makes you like someone you already don't like.

Tom

Corby114 (who I don't know) did not shame a young child. He merely sat in some of the 20 seats the person was "saving". If there was shaming, it was by other passengers who clapped. There is no excuse for anyone saving that number of seats, and it doesn't matter if they are 6 or 86. Most passengers are fed up with chair hogs, and if shaming is what it takes I'm not against it. I bet the kid will refuse the next time his parents make that request. If you think no push back should have been made, I'll bet that is a minority opinion.

We were on Allure the first week in January and when we got up at 7:30, the majority of chairs were taken by the beach pool. At 11am maybe half had people in them. There was a lady next to us who saved 7 chairs at 8am and she left for a couple hours and her and her "crew" didn't show up until at least 1pm.

We were on Allure the first week in January and when we got up at 7:30, the majority of chairs were taken by the beach pool. At 11am maybe half had people in them. There was a lady next to us who saved 7 chairs at 8am and she left for a couple hours and her and her "crew" didn't show up until at least 1pm.

I'm surprised about that. On Oasis the beach pool is constantly monitored for chair hogging. A pool attendant with a clip board keeps a very close eye on which chairs are being used. They also keep food out and operate the umbrellas

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I don't know them either and I didn't mean to accuse, but it seems to me like half an hour before the show there might have been other seats and that their words to the "young child" sounded kind of harsh. Also, it's kind of sad that people applauded.

I don't know the whole story. I have kids and grandkids so I am sensitive to it. If those were the only seats available then perhaps they had a point, but if there were just trying to make a point at the child's expense, that seems pretty sad. Just my opinion of course. I try to teach my kids and grandkids that being rude to someone because they were rude to you just makes you like someone you already don't like.

Tom

Thank you for a thoughtful response, but I will respectfully disagree with one of your major points. I feel confident that a half hour before show time there were plenty of empty seats BUT that does not give one person the right to claim 20 primo seats, and relegate others to much less desirable seats. If the chair hogs learn that 6 or 86 year olds can get away with hogging, they would be regular sent on the family hogging mission. People who have no concern for others should not be surprised when others push back.

I fully support teaching kids appropriate life messages. While I agree that the clapping may have been excessive, I think that a child learning that hogging 20 seats is not accepted by many people nor fair to anyone else is a valuable lesson. A lesson I suspect he was not likely to learn from his parents.

My post below (#55 on this thread) was basically about the CD staff shaming (with humor) theatre chair hogs. I believe that every comment on that post was favorable, so apparently many people think that a certain amount of shaming can be appropriate.

Thom

A few years ago on an RCI ship (I forget which one) a member of the CD staff dressed as an English bobby (policeman) had a mime act. He would walk around the theater carrying a whistle and Violation Pad, watching for seat savers. When someone would be turned away from seats, he come running blowing his whistle, shaking his finger, "write" a ticket, make a big production of seating the people who had been turned away and if there were more seats there, wave incoming people into them. I thought it both funny and effective. Wish that act would come back.

Thom