Extra Tipping

mcase131

Too bad. You just don't get it.

Just don't expect the service that I get each and every time.

Come to the UK and get great service, well the same as I get in US bars , without the need of a tip.

And you can get great value for your $, with the current exchange rates,

Also the price you see on the ticket is the price you pay

Then whoever gives $2 will get better service [emoji3]

I have no issues with tipping, but I do think the automatic gratuity on drinks is a tricky subject. If I order a special drink (like a mixed drink, or a frozen drink) then I'll toss another buck or two on top of the total. 18% to hand me a bottle of water seems out of line honestly. Doesn't matter since I can't do anything about it!

I always prepay my gratuities and I always give our room attendant anywhere from $50 - $100 as soon as we board. I'm an ice freak and always want ice in my room so I ask them to keep it full all week. Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yet again I don't give my Steward anything on boarding and never had an issue keeping my ice full.

Refilled at least twice a day, hot days more often.

Canuk- I shouldn't be saying this, cuz it's my newest trick I learned ;). On Labadee, my friend got up early, got off the ship asap, and hurried to an awesome spot on the beach that had sun and shade. She asked a worker, can you set this area up for 4 of us, and watch over us today? She is southern, sweet, nice, charming, AND she tipped him. He set us up, got us floaty mats, and took care of us all day :). At the end of the day we tipped him too. We had a fantastic time, in a great location, for 4 of us, for under $50 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is how the viscous cycle starts......next time - he will demand 70$:rolleyes:

They loved me in the U.K. I was there in a work trip, always tipped 20% :). They'd look shocked. One lady even said that is too much! Lower it! #LovedBerwick :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So much for "when in Rome".

Wonder if ant of the tip fanatics that would abuse anyone who said "we don't tip at home so don't on a cruise" will say anything about you.

Mmmm I suspect not.

It's only a one way street.

On Harmony we used to like to sit on Central park on a night time and used our Diamond allowance here. I left 5 dollars each night when I got our glasses of champagne.On the second night onwards they just gave me a bottle of champagne instead of making a few trips to the bar. I never once saw anyone else leave a cash tip.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Yes there is its immoral.

Just what do you do when having bribed the bar staff and you don't get the level of service you expect. Ask for the bribe back.

I'm so glad I live in a country where we don't tip bar staff and instead pay them a proper wage.

Immoral - really?

I'm glad you're proud of your country, but I'm also proud of mine and see no problem with tipping - it's the way we do it and the tip or not to tip debate will probably go on forever. I do suggest that anyone who is so offended by it to put tipping in the immoral category, should probably sail on non US lines in order to have a less stressful experience.

Immoral - really?

I'm glad you're proud of your country, but I'm also proud of mine and see no problem with tipping - it's the way we do it and the tip or not to tip debate will probably go on forever. I do suggest that anyone who is so offended by it to put tipping in the immoral category, should probably sail on non US lines in order to have a less stressful experience.

you are so right pay it foward

Immoral - really?

And maybe those from the USA need to stop abusing anyone who says they don't tip.

Immoral - really?

In fact, Dinglebert never said that tipping was immoral. "Handing over money before is not a tip its a bribe", and it was this bribery that he judged to be immoral.

In fact, Dinglebert never said that tipping was immoral. "Handing over money before is not a tip its a bribe", and it was this bribery that he judged to be immoral.

Thank you. Thats exactly what I said. I always happily tip the expected amount, because I see that as part of the deal. What I will not do is take part in tip inflation. If I have paid my tips upfront as part of the holiday purchase then I believe I have fulfilled my end of the agreement. I then expect staff to do their jobs and not to have a metaphorical hand out to get another tip.

I have had cruises where I tipped extra to a lot of servers, I have had cruises where I tipped extra to only a few of the crew. And I have had cruises where I didn't tip extra at all. It all depended on the service. I don't care what others do because that is their business, not mine. I have never felt pressure from the crew or the cruise line to tip extra. (I don't consider an extra line for tips on a bar receipt 'pressure', that's more like good advertising)

I have also pre-tipped extra a few times. I figure, I have already prepaid for the cruise expecting a good experience why not pre-pay the extra tips from time to time, expecting the same thing. If pre-paying some tips is truly immoral and Saint Peter blocks my way through the Pearly Gates because I pre-paid a few people in my life, I'll just have to have an extra fiver or two with me for a little inducement.;)

Thank you. Thats exactly what I said. I always happily tip the expected amount, because I see that as part of the deal. What I will not do is take part in tip inflation. If I have paid my tips upfront as part of the holiday purchase then I believe I have fulfilled my end of the agreement. I then expect staff to do their jobs and not to have a metaphorical hand out to get another tip.

Sorry, that's not how I took it, but I do apologize if I misunderstood what you considered to be immoral.

However, I will take exception with the general attitude from people who live in countries that don't tip and pay a higher wage, that their system is somehow better and morally superior to ours. It's just different and it works for them just like tipping works for us.

Edited by mek

And maybe those from the USA need to stop abusing anyone who says they don't tip.

Well I think you're being overly sensitive with the word abuse. Lively debates are the norm on CC, with some people who are rude and insensitive on both sides of the issue - just like life.

It all comes down to the customs in each country. When people come here, or cruise on a US line, they should tip, it's the way things work. If I travel to your country, I read up and make sure I understand what is expected of me as a guest.

I personally do have a problem with people who say they aren't going to tip just because they don't do it at home, but I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are to yours.

Edited by mek

I think it's fine not to tip extra on a cruise, but if you are in the US, and go to a bar or restaurant, you should know that a tip is expected. Your bill would be higher if the establishment paid their staff more.

Then its the people that give $2 that get special treatment. When everyone gives $2, then its the ones that give $5.

I guess the people that tip for preferential treatment should be happy there are people that tip 0.0.

Everyone tips the 18% mandatory tip whether they want to or not. It's the extra tipping to get preferential treatment that is the problem (IMO).

Edited by Computer Nerd

Everyone tips the 18% mandatory tip whether they want to or not. It's the extra tipping to get preferential treatment that is the problem (IMO).

Is it? You are free to tip extra, as well. It can make a difference in crowded areas, especially with so many with the beverage package.