18yr old - alcohol?

The answer is yes....18 here in the UK to legally drink alcohol and the cruise ship will follow this too. While in port in the Med it can be very relaxed as per drinking age....especially in touristy places so he will probably also be able to drink anywhere the boat docks!

I think I know the answer to this (and that's no) but thought I'd ask just to check.

My son will be 18 when we go on our two week cruise from Southampton around the med, can he drink alcohol on a RC cruise or is it 21 as per US law?

I've already told him it's a no :eek:

No he is OK to Drink at 18 From the UK :)

https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/pdf/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-UK-May-2016.pdf

See Paragraph 18.

Even when sailing out of the US, at most/all the typical port stops in the Caribbean one can drink at 18 - the drinks are usually cheaper off the ship anyway.

While on the ship you must be 21 years old to be served alcohol. The seapass cards for under 21 yr old passengers have dancing people on them which clearly delineates the cards as belonging to a passenger under 21. DD turns 21 before her next cruise in April. She is looking forward to having an adult seapass card!

While on the ship you must be 21 years old to be served alcohol. The seapass cards for under 21 yr old passengers have dancing people on them which clearly delineates the cards as belonging to a passenger under 21. DD turns 21 before her next cruise in April. She is looking forward to having an adult seapass card!

Hmmm, I remember taking a cruise with family when I was I think 19 or 20, and they signed a consent form allowing me to drink if I so chose in international waters. Not sure if that's still the case today?

Hmmm, I remember taking a cruise with family when I was I think 19 or 20, and they signed a consent form allowing me to drink if I so chose in international waters. Not sure if that's still the case today?

Not an option on cruises out of the US.

OP is sailing from Europe, not the US, so different rules apply.

Not an option on cruises out of the US.

Guests 18 - 20 can still drink Beer/Wine out of the US on NCL.

"The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. "

Edited by BNBR

I believe it was last year that RC changed their rules for 18-21 year olds on cruises leaving US ports. When we went in March 2015 you could sign a waiver for them to drink. After that they changed it to reflect US drinking age. However, as someone pointed out, it's 18 in the Caribbean so they can always drink in port.

I believe it was last year that RC changed their rules for 18-21 year olds on cruises leaving US ports. When we went in March 2015 you could sign a waiver for them to drink. After that they changed it to reflect US drinking age. However, as someone pointed out, it's 18 in the Caribbean so they can always drink in port.

The 21+ law is actually a state law, not a federal law. Any state can be 18+, but they would give up highway funding. Puerto Rico chose to remain 18+ and give up the highway funding.

RC is under no legal obligation to be 21+ outside of state waters. The change was more for marketing and liability.

While an 18 year old won't be served aboard at a bar or dining room, parents have the option of serving their teen in the privacy of their cabin. And it can be consumed anywhere, as I don't think anyone notices the contents of other passengers' refill cups.

The 21+ law is actually a state law, not a federal law. Any state can be 18+, but they would give up highway funding. Puerto Rico chose to remain 18+ and give up the highway funding.

RC is under no legal obligation to be 21+ outside of state waters. The change was more for marketing and liability.

Interesting about highway funding being tied to stricter alcohol laws.

RC will not do this. We just returned from the Oasis a few weeks ago and asked about our 18 year old and wine. We were told that they strictly follow the drinking age from whichever country a person is from.

Norwegian did serve beer and wine to my son when he was 18 after we signed a consent. This was 5 years ago however.

Now in the ports my daughter was served.

This was put in place years and years ago (back in the '80s) when the legal drinking age was raised from 18 then to 19 and finally 21. It was a carrot and stick gambit.

Interesting about highway funding being tied to stricter alcohol laws.

This was put in place years and years ago (back in the '80s) when the legal drinking age was raised from 18 then to 19 and finally 21. It was a carrot and stick gambit.

Exactly. Many people don't realize that there is no federal minimum drinking age in the US. The federal government basically just strong-armed the states into raising their minimum drinking ages.

Edited by time4u2go

Exactly. Many people don't realize that there is no federal minimum drinking age in the US. The federal government basically just strong-armed the states into raising their minimum drinking ages.

Wow, one way to get what you want by stealth.

Sounds a lot like bully tactics, using intimidation and bribery to convince people of what they want.

I think I know the answer to this (and that's no) but thought I'd ask just to check.

My son will be 18 when we go on our two week cruise from Southampton around the med, can he drink alcohol on a RC cruise or is it 21 as per US law?

I've already told him it's a no :eek:

Oh he certainly can! RCI allows 18 year olds to drink on cruises that start and end in Europe. If it was a TA beginning or ending in the U.S. then they definitely do not allow it. There are some hoops to jump through....

We sailed western med 2 years ago with our then 18 year old. Upon boarding he was issued the young adult/teen sea pass card as he was registered on their website as being 18 at the time of sailing (set sail pass). Also we could not purchase a drink package on the site due to the age restriction on the RCI website. We were advised by RCI to buy the drink package on board. We did but he still did not get served as he still did not have the adult sea pass card. We went to guest Services and they reissued an adult sea pass card with the drink package sticker and he was allowed to get drinks.

Our drinking age is 19 so it was an early experience for him (5 months before he turned 19) which I believe he handled well. He and my then 22 yo daughter made friends and had a bit more fun and access to the clubs than if they did a stateside cruise.

I did read the riot act to them beforehand and let them know I was keeping track due to the linked accounts. They were pretty good though and I gave them extra tip money on the last day to give to their favourite bartenders, etc. :)